One plus 5 got caught cheating at benchmarking programs

They mock Apple for removing the headphone jack, then go on to rip off their design, and finally they do some scummy sht and manipulate their benchmarks. :D

at One Plus: How the fuck is 479$ equal to 499€????????????

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

This isn't particularly new. Remember back in 2013 when the Samsung Galaxy S4 was also caught cheating in benchmark score and so is the HTC One M8.

You mean we should forget this one because it's not "new"?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Image result for iphone 7Image result for one plus 5

this looks familiar

It all started with this:

samesung.jpg.7b4b3e883bde088040625f5f73aa39e1.jpg

That's why the Galaxy S3 that was launched back in MWC 2012 is actually designed by lawyers.

samsung-galaxy-s-iii-designed-for-humans.png.741d949753afd97866e5a6361055be9b.png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

You mean we should forget this one because it's not "new"?

No. But for most consumers, they won't really care about those benchmarks. I mean, have you seen a lay person shopping for a phone asking for clock speeds and core count?

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I don't understand why they cheat, won't this be pretty much the same result as any other phone with the same soc? (assuming it's not a furnace like the 810)

11 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

$500.....yeah, for that I'll buy a phone that actually gets customer support. 

I was actually dead ready to buy the phone after the summer since I need an upgrade, and I could live without IP67/68, wireless charging and QHD dispaly, but not for that price. That is too much. 

I'm kind of out of ideas which phone to buy now, every single one has some flaw I don't like. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

15 hours ago, DocSwag said:

I'm honestly not even that shocked by this. 

Tons of companies have done this before. Anandtech usually is pretty good about figuring out if companies are cheating. I recently went back and read the reviews for the htc m7, m8, and m9 and htc cheated in at least one of them.

My thoughts exactly. Pretty much every android flagship manufacturer has been caught in the past. Also, somehow OnePlus magically gets more performance out of the same processor/architecture compared to other manufacturers. No way José

15 hours ago, MrMcMuffinJr said:

basically their way of admitting its a crap phone lol

There's a difference between a crap phone and a phone where they crank up the clock on their CPU slightly for benchmarks.

Lame practice. But since many will have same SoC it will be close as far as benchmarks either way. 

Just read, they said they did that to show phonea potential. Hmm ok like we already know how chip is capable, so show what freqency and thermals that ca be maintained? 

Either way it's still an ok phone. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

3 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

Must be taking ethics lessons from Volkswagen.

I was literally about to say that! But I wanted to be sure someone else didn't before I did!

Anyway, it's pretty disappointing that OnePlus cheated on their benchmarks. I mean I get the need to have to sell phones because their market has been going down as of late, but it just seems like this'll make them lose even more of their market after people find out... But are the benchmarks even relevant in this day and time when people just buy the phone because it looks nice and can do things??

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

I say this every time and someone argues with me every time even though I am continually proven right.

Business is Business, no big companies are going to be genuine and trustworthy at the cost of potential sales. Every big company is going to do whatever they can to make their product look as good as it can and make the competitors look as bad as they can.

I'll be waiting for the "AMD cares about me" responses again.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

10 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

What you means to say, was "AMD me"? ;)

https://www.clickz.com/amd-me-unleashed/60971/

I don't remember it but that marketing campaign might have worked on me, I definitely bought some Athlon 64 processors which was kind of pointless at the time because 64 bit support was a joke.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

I don't remember it but that marketing campaign might have worked on me, I definitely bought some Athlon 64 processors which was kind of pointless at the time because 64 bit support was a joke.

I actually still have some t-shirts from that marketing campaign (from the company I worked for).  While I've long supported AMD, I think that was one of their weaker promotions.

Just now, Jito463 said:

I actually still have some t-shirts from that marketing campaign (from the company I worked for).  While I've long supported AMD, I think that was one of their weaker promotions.

Yeah but I'd assume that's around the time when they made the most money.

19 hours ago, Pandalf said:

Do people actually care about benchmarks when purchasing a phone with a specific CPU?

Yes.

SD 810 for example. Phones with the same SoC would have differing results due to different implementations due to thermal throttling. OnePlus's implementation, for example, was horrible. They decided to, in order to keep thermals in check and stuff, shut off the A57 cores while doing bursty workloads, aka when they NEEDED them, resulting in horrible scores in stuff like Kraken and Octane comparable to $100-$200 phones. The Nexus 6P on the other hand used thermal paste between the SoC and the display assembly in order to better dissipate heat through the screen, and a combination of that and how Google/Huawei's throttling worked made it the SD810 phone with probably the best heat and performance.

I know the 810 is a bit of a special case, so look at the Anandtech LG G5 review. In the pc mark web browsing test the G5 absolute tanks compared to the S7 using the same SoC. And looking at the Web benchmarks the G5 is consistently behind the S7, even though they use the same SoC. As well, looking at the Pixel XL review from Anandtech it's consistently ahead of the SD 820 devices in the web benchmarks. Yes it's using an 821 but Google set the clock speeds to the same as the 820.

As well, some things aren't SoC related, like NAND performance.

17 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why the hell does this matter? If you are choosing a phone based on benchmarks then you have more problems.

17 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Synthetic benchmarks IMO are not advertising due to the fact that they can be manipulated. And like I said, only an idiot would chose a phone for benchmarks alone.

Yes, only an idiots would choose a phone for benchmarks alone. That doesn't mean, however, that benchmarks shouldn't be taken into account. In a lot of cases it still matters. Some websites still use pretty bad JavaScript code, and a phone that performs better in the JavaScript benchmarks is going to load the webpages faster and/or result in smoother scrolling/animations within that web page. Gaming benchmarks may be representative of how well your gaming experience will be, if you play games. NAND performance is a big indicator of how snappy your phone will feel, as slower flash may result in longer app launch times which will make your phone feel less snappy.

Read above for why it matters even if two phones use the same SoC.

4 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

I don't understand why they cheat, won't this be pretty much the same result as any other phone with the same soc? (assuming it's not a furnace like the 810)

Read above.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

31 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yes, only an idiots would choose a phone for benchmarks alone. That doesn't mean, however, that benchmarks shouldn't be taken into account. In a lot of cases it still matters. Some websites still use pretty bad JavaScript code, and a phone that performs better in the JavaScript benchmarks is going to load the webpages faster and/or result in smoother scrolling/animations within that web page. Gaming benchmarks may be representative of how well your gaming experience will be, if you play games. NAND performance is a big indicator of how snappy your phone will feel, as slower flash may result in longer app launch times which will make your phone feel less snappy.

Read above for why it matters even if two phones use the same SoC.

I know what makes a phone quick and responsive. The point I am trying to make is Nexus devices have always had mid tier specs until the Pixel. Time and time again they continued to provide and fast and smooth experience even though they were never as fast or had the best benchmarks. In short, OS optimization is more important than hardware in the phone world (I mean gaming performance is another thing where performance matters) and benchmarks will never show that. Thats why I would love samsung, htc, moto to all have stock android versions as it would make the experience so much better. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

I know what makes a phone quick and responsive. The point I am trying to make is Nexus devices have always had mid tier specs until the Pixel. Time and time again they continued to provide and fast and smooth experience even though they were never as fast or had the best benchmarks. In short, OS optimization is more important than hardware in the phone world (I mean gaming performance is another thing where performance matters) and benchmarks will never show that. Thats why I would love samsung, htc, moto to all have stock android versions as it would make the experience so much better. 

Yes that is part of it but there are also parts that os optimization doesn't necessarily help.

The main thing I can think of that os optimization can help with is less dropped frames on home screen and stuff, (possibly) faster app launching, and better battery life.

Dropped frames doesn't get measured, I'll give you that. Faster app launching, I would argue nand make a bigger difference. Better battery life, I haven't significantly noticed on nexus and pixels.

I'll give you that that does matter but benchmarks also do. They both matter. So I think benchmarks are important, though want you mentioned also probably is.

Pixels though I don't think it's as much optimizations, like on iPhones, as much as a less bloated os.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

On 06/21/2017 at 9:31 AM, TidaLWaveZ said:

I say this every time and someone argues with me every time even though I am continually proven right.

Business is Business, no big companies are going to be genuine and trustworthy at the cost of potential sales. Every big company is going to do whatever they can to make their product look as good as it can and make the competitors look as bad as they can.

I'll be waiting for the "AMD cares about me" responses again.

I've learned that businesses operate and base their policies off the saying "a fool and their money are soon parted". To them it's fight over who gets that fool's money first.

Although I am in the market for a new phone...

Thats not what I consider cheating. Keeping a core active when it's benchmarking is perfectly fine. It's within the specs of the model. It's not a cheat like that issue Ryzen had at launch when the computer went into sleep mode.

On 20/06/2017 at 4:04 PM, nerdslayer1 said:

false advertising    

how the fuck is benchmarking a CPU when it's going full speed ahead false advertising? It's not like they're overclocking it. They're making those core use their full capacity. 

18 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

how the fuck is benchmarking a CPU when it's going full speed ahead false advertising? It's not like they're overclocking it. They're making those core use their full capacity. 

read the article before commenting, the phone has built-in scripts that goes full tilt when running benchmarking programs, you won't be able to reach that performance when doing other tasks ( i am assuming due to thermal restrictions).