Store Bought PC Upgrading Help

QuesoFuego

Hello,

I am a new PC builder and I have a question for all the veterans out there.

I want to buy this PC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5UCJQS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and put this graphics card

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHW4HXY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and this power supply in it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096SNGP8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If there are any problems or things I should know about this configuration, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Hello,

I want to buy this PC

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F5UCJQS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHW4HXY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096SNGP8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If there are any problems or things I should know about this configuration, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Why not just build your own?

Please quote/tag ( Found by typing @DarrenP) In all posts directed at me. I do not check my current content. 

Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz - EVGA GTX 980 - 256GB MX100 - 2TB WD RED - 900D - H100I - Corsair HX1050 - DNS 320L 2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 

Quick tip if you know all the parts you want use pcpartpicker to check compatibility and price

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I may build my own, just seeing if this is possible.

PSU and GPU are mostly universal, so there shouldn't be any issues. Be weary that a reference blower style card might be better in prebuilt systems since there is virtually no airflow in those cases and the card will be exhausting heat into this deathtrap.

Only buy a 760 if you're in it for Nvidia exclusives, in terms of raw performance for the price it's not a very efficient buy.

Error: 410

PSU and GPU are mostly universal, so there shouldn't be any issues. Be weary that a reference blower style card might be better in prebuilt systems since there is virtually no airflow in those cases and the card will be exhausting heat into this deathtrap.

Only buy a 760 if you're in it for Nvidia exclusives, in terms of raw performance for the price it's not a very efficient buy.

Yes good to know, Thank You!

I'd really recommend building your own PC or even buying something that for example NCIX sells. That way you won't have to deal with all the preinstalled crap and you get to choose what parts you want.

The Dell PC + the GPU and PSU runns you about 800 dollars. You can get a way better performing PC out of that.

who cares...

Don't do it! For 800$, you'll get a lot of performance in a custom built. Plus, you get the joy of putting it together. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

As everyone else has suggested/is going to suggest to you... build it yourself ;)

There are a lot of people just waiting to throw pc part pickers lists at you with nothing more than a purpose (gaming) and a budget. If you're willing to rewire the entire system, you've clearly got some knowledge on how to build a pc, and there are people here that will help you through the whole process.

If your heart is set on buying a dell pre-built and upgrading it, then I suppose there isn't going to be anything we'll say to change your mind. To actually answer your question, you shouldn't have any issues installing the new parts you linked to into the prebuilt. Keep in mind that a prebuilt almost always comes with bloat ware, and that parts such as the motherboard and case are usually costed down and won't always be able to come with you in future builds if you decide to upgrade. Good luck!  :)

I bought a dell Dimension a number of years ago and upgraded it until I could take it no further.  I then took what parts I could from the Dell and built my own.

That Dell taught me a lot about how computers work and I now build and upgrade machines for friends.  If you do buy the Dell and start swapping out the PSU you might want to have a look at the warranty.

All I will say is that if I had access to forums like this one and the YouTube building guides I would have build from scratch at the beginning. 

Nothing to see here - move along.

Yes, I may build my own, just seeing if this is possible.

Yes, it is possible.

HOWEVER if you are going to be replacing the power supply, it really isnt that big of a step up to building your own pc as you may need to remove some things anyways. Everyone on this forum will suggest you to build your own and there are many advantages: cheaper, better parts, ability to personalize it, a great learning experience and great feeling off accomplishment to name a few. Building your own pc is not scary and I actually just finished swapping out a motherboard in my PC, it only took about an hour and half (with cleaning and cable management)! As others have suggested, go to pcpartspicker and select all the parts, ordering from there will give you the best deals (although I'd say wait about a week for black friday! :D) If you need help choosing, there are many guys willing to help you find the best config for you. Then while you are waiting for your parts, go watch one of Linus' build log and tutorial videos to learn how to put it together (and again if you have any issues you can ask us on the forum for help). Good Luck and have fun!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I have my doubts about the gpu fitting in the case. The only picture I could find of the inside show an mATX motherboard with a drive cage about 2-3 inches to the right which, if I'm right means a max gpu length of 11-12". The selected gpu is 12.9". So, it might fit, given that I'm working off a single picture. The psu is also longer than the current one, but I think it will fit. Cooling may prove problematic.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

As said, don't do it. I got two excellent reasont why you shouldn't.

First: Warranty. Unless otherwise mentioned, warranty of prebuilt system will be void on that second you open it. In past makers have made it hard, so no one would open them in "accident". I noticed this when I tried to clean old HP Presario. So is it worth it to have no warranty on machine that has psu and gpu with 2 year warranty vs machine that has full warranty on all part separetly.

Second: OEM OS. With prebuilt systems you get locked OEM. It means that if you want to upgrade mobo at some point, you'll have to get new OS for it. You can buy OEM OS separetly and have it work on all mobo upgrades instantly or with phone call to MS support.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Dell uses what's called a btx form factor so you wouldn't get any off the shelf components in there without modding and warranty voiding .

Just build your own.

The card will kinda fit into the case. I have that case and if I am correct that case also has some weird side-ways HDD holder. The card will fit perfectly but the 2 6-pin connectors will be in a very bad position. I myself want to buy a GTX 760 and dont know what to do with the case.

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

I regret doing the exact same thing your thinking about, I bought a prebuild and then upgraded it. NO airflow whatsoever so now I run it with the sidepanel off and its fine but I wish I had built my own. 

1422460_541443765948618_1966896447_n.jpg

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

I regret doing the exact same thing your thinking about, I bought a prebuild and then upgraded it. NO airflow whatsoever so now I run it with the sidepanel off and its fine but I wish I had built my own. 

I have no case fans, but I keep my side panel on...

I have no case fans, but I keep my side panel on...

but your not gaming on a overclocked 660, quad core intel cpu are you? Your running a dual core pentium and a cheap gpu. 

#KilledMyWife 

Dell uses what's called a btx form factor so you wouldn't get any off the shelf components in there without modding and warranty voiding .

Just build your own.

Wrong. BTX is for the case and motherboard. You can still stick a GPU and PSU into a Dell without issue(unless the GPU is too long).

Hello,

I want to buy this PC

Thank You

Build your own from scratch......

I see...... VG...motherfucking-A!

"picture"

is there no front intake? looks like theres mounting for a 120mm fan at the front? you could also mount a exhaust fan in the back or change the cpu cooler to a cooler that blows the air sideways rather than down on the cpu, i very much dislike those kinda coolers, it's not that fortunate to have a open gpu cooler and the down blowing cpu cooler in one case + the case has no airflow, nasty combo.

also as everyone else has said, it's better to build your own .. that way you get the build exactly the way you want, most prebuildt pc's are utter crap both for internal layout airflow and so forth.

I see...... VG...motherfucking-A!

is there no front intake? looks like theres mounting for a 120mm fan at the front? you could also mount a exhaust fan in the back or change the cpu cooler to a cooler that blows the air sideways rather than down on the cpu, i very much dislike those kinda coolers...

also as everyone else has said, it's better to build your own .. that way you get the build exactly the way you want, most prebuildt pc's are utter crap both for internal layout airflow and so forth.

i'm running vga till black friday when I get out in the cold at 1am and start hitting people over a 1440p monitor and yes its 1280x1024

I tried to mount a front intake there but guess what, thats not a fan port at all its just a passive cooling vent. 

#KilledMyWife 

Hello,

I want to buy this PC

Thank You

I just took a look at the case dimensions, and I don't think the video card you want will fit, because the HDDs cage is in the way.

420748_777797_05_front_zoom.jpg

Says the total length of the case is 17", and the video card is 13", looking at the position of the PCI-E connector is not gonna have enough space to fit the card.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I just took a look at the case dimensions, and I don't think the video card you want will fit, because the HDDs cage is in the way.

Says the total lenght of the case is 17", and the video card is 13", looking at the position of the PCI-E connector is not gonna have enough space to fit the card.

dat motherboard... the reason I got asus was to make the best of a bad situation. Cause its actually atx and a off the shelf board. they are not gonna start up production to make a non-atx cheap/crappy board all they did was take a straight up board they are already making and its a pretty decent system. 

#KilledMyWife