PCGuy_5960
1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

For those claiming KabyLake-X is an entry into X299:

Launch price of X299 motherboards: $230

7740X = $350

So a Kabylake-X system would cost $580

Z270 Motherboards: $110

7700K = $340

So a Kaby Lake Z270 system would cost $450, saving you $130.

But the whole point is to upgrade to Skylake-X later, right?

assuming prices for X299 motherboards drop by a conservative 20% once the early adopter tax goes away, then a X299 board would cost $184, meaning you would be spending $54 extra for upgrading to X299 later.

BUT, in the Z270 scenario, you still have a perfectly good Z270 board after the upgrade, which I'm sure you could sell for at least $55, meaning you literally lose money by buying into KabyLake-X, even if you know you will be upgrading to skylake-x or other X299 CPUs in the future

Damn, these products are stupid.

It's not exactly a fair comparison to use a $110 Z270 board against a $230 X299 board. While both may be the cheapest of their respective platforms, their difference in quality is still going to be pretty significant. Higher end VRM's and a ton of additional features are added into these "enthusiast" boards that tends to inflate their pricing compared to your general "mainstream" platform. While yes, the initial cost is higher to enter the enthusiast platform for that reason, you are still getting additional value for your money beyond it being "just a motherboard".

That being said, I do agree that these CPU's are rather silly in that regard, and that they shouldn't exist. However, me not understanding their existence, doesn't mean the product won't be well received by people. As I said in another thread, I am going to treat these wanna-be enthusiast chips as the rich man's G3258, and move on. People will have their fun with these chips, and move on to the real CPU's. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, leadeater said:

Even the KabyLake-X say DDR4-2666, I have no idea why ONLY the 7800X is DDR4-2400.

Yeah, I prematurely assumed that since the 7700K and 7600K are DDR4-2400, then so are their twins. guess not.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

10 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

For those claiming KabyLake-X is an entry into X299:

Launch price of X299 motherboards: $230

7740X = $350

So a Kabylake-X system would cost $580

Z270 Motherboards: $110

7700K = $340

So a Kaby Lake Z270 system would cost $450, saving you $130.

But the whole point is to upgrade to Skylake-X later, right?

assuming prices for X299 motherboards drop by a conservative 20% once the early adopter tax goes away, then a X299 board would cost $184, meaning you would be spending $54 extra for upgrading to X299 later.

BUT, in the Z270 scenario, you still have a perfectly good Z270 board after the upgrade, which I'm sure you could sell for at least $55, meaning you literally lose money by buying into KabyLake-X, even if you know you will be upgrading to skylake-x or other X299 CPUs in the future

Damn, these products are stupid.

7700k is no where near 340. Can get new under 300 easily. Or under 280 if you catch a sale

7 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yeah, I prematurely assumed that since the 7700K and 7600K are DDR4-2400, then so are their twins. guess not.

This whole thing is stupid and rather confusing, when was the last time a new platform launch was so obscure and convoluted....

Just asterisk the whole damn thing with "Your results may vary". 

4 minutes ago, Fonzie92 said:

7700k is no where near 340. Can get new under 300 easily. Or under 280 if you catch a sale

I just took newegg retail pricing.

but I don't think I've ever seen it under (or close to) $300, where was that?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

Again with this?

Assuming we only care about new chips, which should be the only consideration for chips as new as the 7700K and 7740X for price/perf comparisons, the cheapest you'll find them is $300, from Microcenter. Next cheapest, $340 on Newegg, and turns out, it's going on sale, it goes for $350 otherwise. Most people will find the cheapest option is $340, unless they want to take the gamble of someone selling the current top dog of mainstream Intel CPUs.

Most people WILL pay $340 for the 7700K, and supposedly, the 7740X is set to have an MSRP of $340.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Microcenter sells the 7700K for $300 even right now, as per Intel ARK. Unless one finds a fire sale, $300 is the cheapest it is going for, new.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Processors are available for pre order from B&H with estimated ship date Monday. Prices are inflated ~12% over MSRP....Hmmm...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Try /r/buildapcsales. Refresh it every other day/week sometimes a good i7 7700k comes up sub 289, or 300. (new)  

5 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

Processors are available for pre order from B&H with estimated ship date Monday. Prices are inflated ~12% over MSRP....Hmmm...

$599 on newegg. Wonder why BH is so inflated?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

21 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, I might buy a 7740X instead of a 7800X/7820X TBH, if they overclock that well :D

Please don't give kaby lake X a reason to exist... If you want this CPU get a much cheaper Z270 board and a 7700k delid. Do not spend hundreds of dollars more on a motherboard with features you can't use and a quad core...

Anybody use/used ASRock boards? I think I might get the Taichi. It's $299 which is right around my ballpark for mobo's. It's ugly af but damn the features are great! Besides, it'll be stuffed in my case and you won't see much of it anyways. Haha

IMG_0532.PNG.afdfafeb0c8e996873e5fd60a4f32f50.PNG

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

16 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Is the NDA lifted?

9:01 AM est.

17 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Is the NDA lifted?

The NDA is up at 6am PST.  So we have about 1.5 hours left.  

3 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Anybody use/used ASRock boards? I think I might get the Taichi. It's $299 which is right around my ballpark for mobo's. It's ugly af but damn the features are great! Besides, it'll be stuffed in my case and you won't see much of it anyways. Haha

IMG_0532.PNG.afdfafeb0c8e996873e5fd60a4f32f50.PNG

Asrock can built some really great boards and some REALLY shitty boards.  Their higher end stuff is top notch, but their low end is definitely sketchy.  I would say that any x299 board that they make will be of higher quality if they follow their trend with x99. 

32 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

9:01 AM est.

31 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The NDA is up at 6am PST.  So we have about 1.5 hours left.  

That's 1 minute after my lunch break finishes. /troll *shakes fist* well I guess at 2:01pm I'm off to the loo with some earphones...

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

That's 1 minute after my lunch break finishes. /troll *shakes fist* well I guess at 2:01pm I'm off to the loo with some earphones...

"loo"?  I knew there was something weird about you.  xD

44 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Anybody use/used ASRock boards?

Me! :P The only problem that I have with my board is that Vcore monitoring is not accurate (at all xD)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Me! :P The only problem that I have with my board is that Vcore monitoring is not accurate (at all xD)

Yeah, there's a small problem.  Wow.

Just now, LordTaco42 said:

That Sata port's position is...interesting.

True.  I don't have any plans to use them, but that angle is weird.  

Just now, done12many2 said:

True.  I don't have any plans to use them, but that angle is weird.  

I mean I suppose it makes it easier to see inside the case and connect maybe?  Maybe billions were spent on ergonomic studies to find out...we may never know.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, there's a small problem.  Wow.

Yeah.... This time around I will try to get an ASUS board, simply because they are the best :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 minutes ago, LordTaco42 said:

I mean I suppose it makes it easier to see inside the case and connect maybe?  Maybe billions were spent on ergonomic studies to find out...we may never know.

Per Asus, the angled cut outs are for use with wire management when used with test benches.  Makes sense, but I like your ergonomics version much better.  xD