7900X reviewed!

PCGuy_5960
2 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

June 26th can't come soon enough really. I want to see the proper indepth reviews.

Me too :)

Also isn't Threadripper also launching the 27th same time as Vega Frontier? Would be nice if the reviewers could have a proper shootout between it all.

Idk, but if @Jumper118 finds any Threadripper reviews, I will post them in Tech News xD

(He was the one who found the link to this Hexus review :P)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

We have a pretty good read on the thermals for Skylake cores, so putting 10 of them at 6700/7700 speeds is going to make a small furnace.  It's less about the CPU and far more about the ability to dissipate the volume of heat.  (Though the one early review did have good idle temps, so that's a plus.)

The issue for a lot of this stuff is that new Cache system. We don't have a brand new Architecture, but there's enough of a change that we don't know what the effect is. 

Man, 100c in cinebench on a D15S, and 280mm AIO is not nice to read.

Cinebench isn't AIDA64 levels, never mind Handbrake or Prime95. :/

Gotta wonder though, if it was soldered, would it have dropped another nice 10c off the peak result stopping that throttling.

June 26th can't come soon enough really. I want to see the proper indepth reviews.

Also isn't Threadripper also launching the 27th same time as Vega Frontier? Would be nice if the reviewers could have a proper shootout between it all.

Pre-orders start from Dell on July 27th.  August 10th was put out as a the sale date. Which might explain the RX Vega releases stuff at SIGGRAPH. They're going to go full Media Blitz at the same time.

X299 NDA apparently ends on Monday, btw.

If Skylake-X appeared in a year's time as a blatant reaction to AMD's shenanigans, one would rightly suggest that what we've seen today is an indicator of Intel ramping things up to prevent AMD eating into its market share. However, Skylake-X has landed barely a couple of months after Ryzen - it's not been created in 12 weeks but has been on the cards for a long time, certainly way before the Ryzen hype train arrived in 2016 leading up to the March launch this year.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/8

This makes me quite sad to read, while yes the 7900X is not a reaction to anything AMD has or is doing that statement is willfully ignoring the 14-18 core CPUs. Intel and AMD in general know what each other is doing but it does look like TR was a bit of a surprise hidden in the works and I think Naples/EYPC really helped to hide it.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You're cherry picking..... It also said that they were able to get 4.7GHz at 1.25V, which is extremely impressive!

How is it cherry picking? Even at 1.25v, it's still going to get obscenely hot under real stress. Cinebench is not that hot. This is also ignoring the fact that they likely didn't even OC their ram, which adds heat to your entire CPU package. Yes, when it comes to thermals, voltage scales quadratically, so there will be quite a huge difference between 1.25v and 1.3v, but nothing will change the fact that it reached throttling temperatures under Cinebench.

If you are going to blame the sensors, then you are being intentionally naive. We are talking 10 cores at a massive 4.7ghz. We absolutely expected it to run hot. Gone are the days where everyone and their mother can just pick up the enthusiast platform CPU's and go ham on overclocking. If you don't have a serious custom loop, you won't be pushing these CPU's far at all. I also expect the same of Threadripper. It's an MCM design, which means each of those cores have a serious chance of being able to hit 3.8-4ghz like their smaller counterparts (it's literally the same die, just multiples of it) but the biggest setback will be trying to cool that massive amount of power. 

Can't wait to see the amount of forum posts asking whether or not a 212 Evo will be enough for these things, lol. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

If you are going to blame the sensors, then you are being intentionally naive.

I didn't say that the sensors were to blame :P I just said that maybe they didn't have thermal results, because they couldn't get monitoring software to work properly ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, MageTank said:

Can't wait to see the amount of forum posts asking whether or not a 212 Evo will be enough for these things, lol. 

I wonder if 3x 480mm RADs and 12x FF5's will be enough :)

Just now, leadeater said:

If you delid the CPU they will be enough :D

Just now, leadeater said:

I imagine a single 480mm rad might be enough to keep it from hitting thermal junction at maybe 4.5ghz, assuming you are able to use much less voltage. You would probably need your GPU's on a separate loop though, lol. 

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Can't wait for LTT to test the cheap ass chinese 65W heatsink they have on it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Could just buy the phase change unit for my LD PC-V8, fuck it make it cold!

But at the same time, you could buy a 7980XE for the same price as a 7900X with a phase change cooler :P

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

But at the same time, you could buy a 7980XE for the same price as a 7900X with a phase change cooler :P

Nah the 7980XE is far too ridiculous, a phase change unit is much more reasonable.... ;) 

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Nah the 7980XE is far too ridiculous, a phase change unit is much more reasonable.... ;) 

"Woah bro, sick 7980XE, how's it bench?"

"Oh, I don't know yet, keep overheating in the BIOS"

Just now, MageTank said:

I really hope that they solder the 7980XE :/

Just now, MageTank said:

Didn't know you already threw it under a single phase.

Why are you wasting time with X299, when people need that mem OC guide for Ryzen?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Didn't know you already threw it under a single phase.

Why are you wasting time with X299, when people need that mem OC guide for Ryzen?

I am working on that as we speak. Got a 1600 and B350 Plus motherboard. You must not have been following my status updates. What kind of superfan are you?!

Just now, MageTank said:

What kind of superfan are you?!

I'm a Dyson.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Got a 1600 and B350 Plus motherboard.

What happens to it once you're done testing? If you sell it, can I buy it when I go back to Ohio?

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

You must not have been following my status updates.

Don't feel bad. I only follow Furry artists. Also, they draw anthromorphic material.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I imagine a single 480mm rad might be enough to keep it from hitting thermal junction at maybe 4.5ghz, assuming you are able to use much less voltage. You would probably need your GPU's on a separate loop though, lol. 

Time to bring back Phasechange for enthusiasts!

1dab640197aef5a291f007ad5eb785ac.jpg

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Drak3 said:

I'm a Dyson.

What happens to it once you're done testing? If you sell it, can I buy it when I go back to Ohio?

Don't feel bad. I only follow Furry artists. Also, they draw anthromorphic material.

Well, it's for a friend that wanted a light editing/twitch streaming machine. We got the platform super cheap from Microcenter. Got the 1600, the B350 board (refurb) and 16GB of cheapo Micron ram for $250 after taxes. The only thing holding me back are the tertiary timings, as they seem to be inverse ratios on Ryzen. The higher the value, the better performance. The lower the value, the worse it gets. The most difficult aspect is, there doesn't seem to be any impact on stability when going either direction, as both seem equally unstable. I assume this is due to my tweaked tRFC values, and not having access to tREFI. Both are tied to each other in a weird way, and having access to one, but not the other, severely holds me back.

3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Time to bring back Phasechange for enthusiasts!

I recall saying "X299 reminds me of X58". Now I remember why that is, lol. Time to buy that X299 EVGA Dark board, and relive the bloodrage days.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

We got the platform super cheap from Microcenter.

No Microcenter in Idaho. I do get pretty damn good deals at two different local shops though. Sadly, one doesn't carry any Ryzen CPUs, and only 2 boards, and the other only carries the 1600, 1700X, and 1800X.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

do a 2100 CPU+cooler show down TR phase vs 7980XE

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

do a 2100 CPU+cooler show down TR phase vs 7980XE

I'd have to contact LD Cooling and see if they would sell me the phase unit for my case, I have the V8 not the V10 and I'm sure they are actually the same case but the V10 has the phase changer installed in it.

Other option is use this but I'd have to find a nice way to get the pipes in to the case etc, and at this price I might as well just buy a damn V10.

http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/ld-pc-v2/191-ld-pc-v2-phase-change-black-xl-suction.html

49 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'd have to contact LD Cooling and see if they would sell me the phase unit for my case, I have the V8 not the V10 and I'm sure they are actually the same case but the V10 has the phase changer installed in it.

Other option is use this but I'd have to find a nice way to get the pipes in to the case etc, and at this price I might as well just buy a damn V10.

http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/ld-pc-v2/191-ld-pc-v2-phase-change-black-xl-suction.html

Maybe Intel will include a compact phase unit with 7980XE. It wouldn't be too far fetched to include at $2000. it would explain the delayed release too! Lol.

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

MSI isn't very good AFAIK. ASUS is the best and then Gigabyte/AsRock depending on the chipset :D

Fuck it...looks like I am going to have to learn to live with the vertical M.2 slot.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

When Ryzen 5 was released in April, people were still beating up Ryzen because of its underwhelming gaming performance.  Now, after a ton of optimization, Ryzen is easily trading blows with Kaby Lake.  Holy sh*t! :o

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy