intel pentilim 

some itx mobo

8 or 16gb stick of ddr4

Fractal design node 304

2 wd red 4tb hdd

Usb for unraid

did I miss anything?

Dont forget a PSU ;)

Just make sure with the CPU you stick with a G series Pentium or Celeron - they all have onboard graphics so you wont require a GPU.

You cant really go past the Intel G4560 for price to performance in the low tier, if you want to save another $20 though you could also just do a celeron like a G3930

Something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($84.90 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.39 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $640.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 04:50 EDT-0400

You might also be interested in some other more NAS oriented case options (if your budget allows for any of these):

Silverstone DS380B has 8 hotswap bays

iStarUSA S-35-DE5 has 5 hotswap bays

Norcotek ITX-S4 has 4 hotswap bays

Norcotek ITX-S8 has 8 hotswap bays

iStarUSA S917 has 7 5.25" bays (You can install 2 x hotswap bays such as this)

iStarUSA S915 with 5 x 5.25" bays (As above but less bays)

Hello Everyone, 

PLEASE HELP!

I have been looking to build a home nas for quite a while, however I am completely lost on what to buy.

I have a few requirements:

ITX build (small)

Expandable

Local access 

Remote access (safe)

ITX case without hotswap bays (hate the look)

quite (it will be sitting next to me on my desk)

now It will not be doing extreme workloads I will only be transferring file between a few pc's, backups as well as accessing files away from home and I don't want to spent a lot on it ($500 +drives) please help me choose parts and operating system I have no idea what to get and don't want to go to overkill. Also I have no other means on storage so I think I'll need ecc memory 

all thanks in advance,

BDunkz

20 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Hello Everyone, 

PLEASE HELP!

I have been looking to build a home nas for quite a while, however I am completely lost on what to buy.

ITX build (small)

Expandable

Local access 

Remote access (safe)

now It will not be doing extreme workloads I will only be transferring file between a few pc's, backups as well as accessing files away from home and I don't want to spent a lot on it ($500 +drives) please help me choose parts and operating system I have no idea what to get and don't want to go to overkill. Also I have no other means on storage so I think I'll need ecc memory 

all thanks in advance,

BDunkz

I'm trying to do the same at the moment, as my old QNAP TS509 is on its very last legs.

This was useful, but didnt suit my needs.

https://blog.brianmoses.net/2017/03/diy-nas-2017-edition.html

I'm still having real trouble finding a mini-ITX case configured for NAS that i like.

11 minutes ago, Rohime said:

I'm trying to do the same at the moment, as my old QNAP TS509 is on its very last legs.

This was useful, but didnt suit my needs.

https://blog.brianmoses.net/2017/03/diy-nas-2017-edition.html

I'm still having real trouble finding a mini-ITX case configured for NAS that i like.

Have you tried the fractal design node 304?

Ok lets get some of the constraints.

What OS do what want to use? Would you be okay with a linux based OS?

How many drives would you be using?

3.5inch HDDs or 2.5inch HDDs?

Why the need for ECC memory? Will you be using a UPS?

Are you hoping to keep the machine on 24/7?

Any other requirements?

Obstacles are only obstacles until you move them out of the way. - Greer [Person of Interest]

I'm fine with any os you recommend however I was looking at freenas. (No idea if that's Linux) I'm uesing 3.5" hdd. no ups Maybe in the future. And probably most of the day but not 24/7 and ecc memory because I don't want to lose any family photos or important documents 

24 minutes ago, Brayden9707 said:

Ok lets get some of the constraints.

What OS do what want to use? Would you be okay with a linux based OS?

How many drives would you be using?

3.5inch HDDs or 2.5inch HDDs?

Why the need for ECC memory? Will you be using a UPS?

Are you hoping to keep the machine on 24/7?

Any other requirements?

I'm fine with any os you recommend however I was looking at freenas. (No idea if that's Linux) I'm uesing 3.5" hdd. no ups Maybe in the future. And probably most of the day but not 24/7 and ecc memory because I don't want to lose any family photos or important documents 

also because I don't want to spend a lot up front only 2 or 3 hdd but definitely expansion to 8 I think

1 hour ago, BDunkz said:

Hello Everyone, 

PLEASE HELP!

ITX build (small)

Expandable

Local access 

Remote access (safe)

all thanks in advance,

BDunkz

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B250I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($62.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital - Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($135.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design - Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($84.90 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $762.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-09 06:12 EDT-0400

You don't need ECC memory for this kind of server. ECC memory use only mission critical servers and very very important workstations. Rock on that boiii FreeNAS or if you want Windows Server 2016 but throw in SSD and create RAID array in Storage Spaces.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

9 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

also because I don't want to spend a lot up front only 2 or 3 hdd but definitely expansion to 8 I think

I would suggest freenas however it doesn't have a local machine interface. It's purely network based. Also if you are not familiar with linux then I would sway you away from freenas, lots of technical jargon but if you are up for a challenge then freenas is awesome.

You won't loose any important documents if you use non-ECC memory, As those files won't be stored in ram, they will be stored on the drives. HOWEVER it is recommend if you use ZFS(freenas) see this thread https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/577401-do-you-really-need-ecc-ram-for-a-home-nas/

Obstacles are only obstacles until you move them out of the way. - Greer [Person of Interest]

18 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

To prevent loss of your photos always have backup on USB or external hard drive. ECC memory will not help to prevent data loss.

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

5 minutes ago, domandric034 said:

Motherboard: MSI - B250I GAMING PRO AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($62.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $762.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-09 06:12 EDT-0400

You don't need ECC memory for this kind of server. ECC memory use only mission critical servers and very very important workstations. Rock on that boiii FreeNAS or if you want Windows Server 2016 but throw in SSD and create RAID array in Storage Spaces.

A bronze psu? For a nas that will be going for most of the day.

Just now, BDunkz said:

hang on sec. There :

Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.39 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $781.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-09 06:21 EDT-0400

Ok so use free nas

zfs

use the parts list

also a ups is a battery for your server right?

how much would it cost for one to run my rig and the nas

(core i5 6700k gigabyte gtx 970)

What about remote access 

does anyone have any recommendations?

2 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

What about remote access 

does anyone have any recommendations?

I'll add more recommendation to FreeNAS, but I don't know how to do the remote access. This MUO article seems like it could help though: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/set-freenas-server-access-files/

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

7 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

Anyone know if ssd write caching is worth it?

29 minutes ago, BDunkz said:

not 24/7

then you do not need redundant drives or special NAS drives. Use this saving for backup drives.

Redundant drives in a home NAS do nothing except cost you money. Redundant drives are intended to keep your server running while you rebuild your array after a failed drive. For non 24/7 home use you can expect a drive to fail in approx 10 years with good quality drives.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, BDunkz said:

Anyone know if ssd write caching is worth it?

only for websites and databases. not for home use. drives come with plently of cache built in

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

then you do not need redundant drives or special NAS drives. Use this saving for backup drives.

Redundant drives in a home NAS do nothing except cost you money. Redundant drives are intended to keep your server running while you rebuild your array after a failed drive. For non 24/7 home use you can expect a drive to fail in approx 10 years with good quality drives.

You sure?

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

Agreed. I've been using two beat to hell and back WD Blues in my NAS, and there have been no issues (other than it complaining about bad sectors that I'm already aware of), and the performance has been wonderful. 

Just now, BDunkz said:

You sure?

Yes. There is no need to waste that kind of money. Look at what I just wrote above your quote. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

only for websites and databases. not for home use. drives come with plently of cache built in

Ok thanks

1 minute ago, BDunkz said:

You sure?

If a drive fails the time it takes to rebuild is the same as copying from backup.

But if you use redundancy you are doubling the cost of your drives for what benefit? so you can have uninterrupted use of your NAS while you replace your broken drive?

A drive for home use lasts ages. You will prob fill your drives before they die.

The capacity of your drives might become obsolete before your drives fail. I have two WD RE drives at 250GB that I still use and you cant buy those anymore.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Agreed. I've been using two beat to hell and back WD Blues in my NAS, and there have been no issues (other than it complaining about bad sectors that I'm already aware of), and the performance has been wonderful. 

I bought WD blue years ago and they were shit then. Iv got older samsung, hitachi, WD black and RE and they all outlasted the WD blue crappy drives.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

I bought WD blue years ago and they were shit then. Iv got older samsung, hitachi, WD black and RE and they all outlasted the WD blue crappy drives.

I've had great luck with Blues. I had one die of bad sectors and come back to life, and has been in use in my NAS, and only just started complaining about it's sectors again. It still works, though. And it's pretty incredible that this is a drive that sat brand new in someone's garage for years before being turned on.