Reasons to buy Intel

1 hour ago, David89 said:

Uh...except eGPU, i don't know any feature, that USB 3.1 with a C-Connector can't do. In fact, USB-C can do a lot more, than Thunderbolt 3 in itself.

And at the moment, it look like the drivers for Intel's HVEC are rather bad.

Higher Performance...where?

Better Overclocking? Not sure: 700 MHz OC vs. 300/500 MHz isn't that great.

If it's worth the extra cost for you: Good for you. Have a cookie.

7820X will undoubtedly be better than the 1700, 1800/X. Skylake IPC is certainly higher than Ryzen. And it's no secret Intel clocks higher than AMD. It still manages more PCIE lanes too (28/24). AVX-512, higher memory speed, Thunderbolt etc.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 hours ago, David89 said:

Uh...except eGPU, i don't know any feature, that USB 3.1 with a C-Connector can't do. In fact, USB-C can do a lot more, than Thunderbolt 3 in itself.

Do you have any idea of what thunderbolt 3 is??

Is carries USB 3, displayport, power, AND 4x PCIe though the SAME type C connector.

It is far more versatile than USB 3.1 type C, and can do way more stuff, like daisy chaining devices, higher transfer speeds, charge your devices, everything though a single cable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1. AVX, Intel CPUs perform way better when using AVX
  2. More cores (but you do pay quite a bit more for them)
  3. AVX-512 (exclusive to Skylake-X)
  4. Better single core performance
  5. Thunderbolt 3
  6. Virtualization

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

you have to buy an i7 to be an elitist, amd peasents (im joking, dont take it serious)

i want to go ryzen, but i currently have a 4790k and only game atm.

14 hours ago, WereCat said:

AMD

Lower TDP

That's honestly something i haven't heard in years. It's good to be an enthusiast

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

To be fair to intel, AMD still doesn't have anything to compete with the awesome deal that is the g4560

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Workstation Xeon CPUs for, well workstations, is a good reason to buy Intel for reasons other than gaming. That is until AMD Naples is released.

Well, another thing is that if you want to playback ultraHD blurays, pretty much the only platform you can play it on is the Kaby Lake CPUs (Yes, that's stupid...)

16 hours ago, David89 said:

Just out of curiosity: Let's pretend there is no 7700K. Is there any reason, to buy Intel? I mean, not even for gaming, but for everything?

And even with the 7700K...with the recent Updates the 7700K and the 1800X are the same in many games (Most notable: RoTR) and many programs have also been updated to use the ZEN Architecture better...so, in all seriousness: Is there ANY reason to buy Intel? Because i actually can only think of one, and that would be AVX-512 if you really need it and maybe the limited availability of mITX Boards for AM4...

If you do content creation and gaming then AMD Ryzen is way to go. Biostar threw out some nice mITX boards and ASRock's are about to come.

Other than that there is no reason to get Intel

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

36 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Better overclocking?  AMD has the highest OCs. o.O There's an 8350 sitting at the number one spot.  In fact, there's only one intel sitting in the top 5 and that's a Celeron.  A majority of the top OCs are AMD processors. 

http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

AMD is known for clocking higher.  The highest AMD frequencies are higher than 8GHz. The highest Intel OCs are almost all in the 7s with only one in the 8s.  So, how exactly is Intel clocking higher when the highest is mostly AMDs with the number one spot being an AMD?

I'm obviously talking about modern architectures. Not old LN2 results that nobody uses. Ryzen is known to tap out around 3.8-4.0. 4.1 if you're extreeeeemly lucky. The 7820X boosts to 4.5 alone, and that's without taking overclocking into account.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Well right now the main reasons are IPC, Thunderbolt 3 and Optane. Ryzen will eventually get Thunderbolt on the motherboards once intel releases it to be used by anyone in the mainstream at no cost so that advantage will go away.

If all you plan to do is 1080p gaming then Intel just really is the superior option but I doubt there are many people who turn on their computer and only do 1080p gaming lol.

Edit: Oh yeah intel is better at certain emulation, if that's what you're into.

17 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Intel CPUs have no pins so I can find them at scrapyards still working.

But Intel motherboards are harder to find that work (but not impossible). Sometimes the pins are bent or broken.

AMD CPUs have pins that bend, so most CPUs I get are broken.

But most of the motherboards work, no pins to bend,

um... what? the ryzen pins are incredibly sturdy and easy to bend back.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

17 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Intel CPUs have no pins so I can find them at scrapyards still working.

But Intel motherboards are harder to find that work (but not impossible). Sometimes the pins are bent or broken.

AMD CPUs have pins that bend, so most CPUs I get are broken.

But most of the motherboards work, no pins to bend,

You can get AMD CPUs with pins missing working, can't say the same about intel motherboards. Pins on the CPU are more forgiving by far.

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm obviously talking about modern architectures. Not old LN2 results that nobody uses. Ryzen is known to tap out around 3.8-4.0. 4.1 if you're extreeeeemly lucky. The 7820X boosts to 4.5 alone, and that's without taking overclocking into account.

first off, why the fuck are you talking about the 7820x? its on x299 which is already dead and it isnt even out. 
also, clockspeeds and ipc only matter in some games. some prefer cores

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

To be fair to intel, AMD still doesn't have anything to compete with the awesome deal that is the g4560

yeah, hopefully that changes with the r3. if they can get a quad core going for like 60 dollars theyre set.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

17 hours ago, David89 said:

Just out of curiosity: Let's pretend there is no 7700K. Is there any reason, to buy Intel? I mean, not even for gaming, but for everything?

And even with the 7700K...with the recent Updates the 7700K and the 1800X are the same in many games (Most notable: RoTR) and many programs have also been updated to use the ZEN Architecture better...so, in all seriousness: Is there ANY reason to buy Intel? Because i actually can only think of one, and that would be AVX-512 if you really need it and maybe the limited availability of mITX Boards for AM4...

The Pentium G4560 is the price to performance CPU at the moment.

In a world without the i7 7700K, the best gaming CPU would be the... i7 7700. Very close would be another i7 or an i5 7600k.

Do you have a source for that comment on RotTR, because I read PC Perspective's article on that update and they found it underwhelming.

4 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

first off, why the fuck are you talking about the 7820x? its on x299 which is already dead and it isnt even out. 

If you were paying attention to the topic, and my previous responses, you would know what I was talking about.

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

If you were paying attention to the topic, and my previous responses, you would know what I was talking about.

i dont understand why youre comparing a 7820x to a ryzen chip though, your previous posts seem irrelevant. youve brought up something that almost no one can afford and threadripper will be better than at the same price. so what if it delivers a bit more performance with the same number of cores if its likely going to be twice the price of the 1700. no one is going to buy that chip unless they are a true fanboy.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

11 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

If you look under his name and in the sig, you will find fanboism and he has already made his mind up on what to buy before any reviews come out. 

X299 and the titan xp are the bestest therefore amd doesn't exist and if they did they would be inferior because he does not have them. :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

2 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

If you look under his name and in the sig, you will find fanboism and he has already made his mind up on what to buy before any reviews come out. 

X299 and the titan xp are the bestest therefore amd doesn't exist and if they did they would be inferior because he does not have them. :P

oh god. thats legit one of the stronger intel fanboys ive seen.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

7 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

in his profile it says 

About VagabondWraith

• Title
    Intel / NVidia Enthusiast 
  • Birthday1917-10-26
kek.
im an amd fanboy but jeez, if amd had an inferior product i wouldnt buy it lol.

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

25 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

The Pentium G4560 is the price to performance CPU at the moment.

In a world without the i7 7700K, the best gaming CPU would be the... i7 7700. Very close would be another i7 or an i5 7600k.

Do you have a source for that comment on RotTR, because I read PC Perspective's article on that update and they found it underwhelming.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen-game-perf-increases-with-new-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-patch.html

15% isn't underwhelming. And I'm sure there's more performance to be had especially in games that are built from the ground up for many cores.

They aren't the same though, especially under nvidia GPUs. Not that you'd expect them to right now.

But the real question is intel worth considering over Ryzen for a few frames? I'd probably say no.

10 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Yes I'm a fanboy and yes I'm proud of it. I put the Intel/ NV enthusiast for a reason for everyone to see. :P 

Im upgrading to the 7820X because it will have better performance than what else I could consider. Knowing Skylake has a better uplift over Ryzen, it's an easy choice and money is no issue here. 8c/16t is perfect for my needs. 

Really not different than someone who buys a 1080 over a 1070, or Titan Xp over 1080 Ti, or at the time, a 980 over 970. For some, that extra perf is justified no matter how big or small the difference may be. 

I won't entertain Threadripper because I have absolutely no reason for 16c. I have no uses for it. It's a great option for those who do need it, just not for me.

This next upgrade will do me good for a minimum 5 years plus. I'll jump onboard the 8c hype train while I can. :D 

You do realize, that the leaked stuff about the 7820X suggest they will cost 51% more...and deliver only about 4% more performance? Even overclocked to 4,5 GHz on all Cores, the performance boost will only be about 10%. Also, that thing has a TDP of 140 Watt. If AMD would put a 140 Watt TDP badge on the R7, everyone would go mental.

Good news everyone...!

43 minutes ago, David89 said:

You do realize, that the leaked stuff about the 7820X suggest they will cost 51% more...and deliver only about 4% more performance? Even overclocked to 4,5 GHz on all Cores, the performance boost will only be about 10%. Also, that thing has a TDP of 140 Watt. If AMD would put a 140 Watt TDP badge on the R7, everyone would go mental.

I agree. I have 1800X. Cinebench gives me 1800 at 4.1Ghz. Max temp is below 70c on all cores. 

Works like a dream for much, much less. Crosshair VI HERO has a thunderbolt port included and lots of other cool stuff so I'm not even mad. I wish memory would clock higher, but other than that it's perfect.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.