Noobs Reaction: Finally switching from VGA

Akolyte

I've been using VGA on my 1080p monitors for about 3-4 years now.  Till I was looking at all the Linus tech tips video and found a comparison.  I saw it and decided to post on here asking about it.  So I've finally switched to DVI, ordered some 3 meter long gold plated DVI cables.  And straight after switching I noticed nothing... everything was the same.  Then when I went on to the forum, I would get the vague lines coming down before, I thought that was just the monitor... yet they were gone.  I actually thought my monitor was dying for a couple minutes till I peeked at my graphics card and saw the big black cables poking out the back of it.  And so I grabbed a second monitor.  This old LCD I thought was crap cause it always looked so bad.  And so after plugging it in I get an option for 1600x900... yet all the other times it could stretch to 1366x768... everything looked clearer on that! So now I have not 1 but 2 displays.  One LCD and one LED.  So kinda out of wack but it works.  I'm amazed at just what DVI can do compared to VGA.  I thought it would just be colours and contrast.  Yet it didn't change that it changed the whole viewing experience.  And funnier yet the LCD one looked so bad with VGA I actually thought it was one of those old fat monitors.  Yet after reading what CRT monitors actually are I found out, so DVI literally changed my whole viewing experiences... for only like $20

Welcome brother.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Still rockin' the ol' VGA because my monitors are VGA... BUT SOON!!!!

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Isn't there a performance difference? Also I want to be able to display higher resolutions.

No there's not, they are both a digital signal.

DVI can just drive higher res.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

is there any difference between hdmi and dvi other than resolution capable?

why!?

I dunno how it was on your, but on HDMI the black color kind of sucks. I switched from HDMI to DVI without changing settings in monitor/CCC and black was black and not dark grey.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

is there any difference between hdmi and dvi other than resolution capable?

DVI can carry an analog signal as-well if you need to connect to VGA adapter for your monitor (if its the right DVI connection that is).  No other difference.

only Dual Link DVI ...

And also this wrong....

HDMI can (since 2006 ! - HDMI 1.3) drive Monitors with 2560x1600 @ 75Hz, it is only the monitor manufacturers/microsoft who screw up.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Thanks guys! here are the 2 monitors I have VA2448m-LED & VG1932wm-LED

only Dual Link DVI ...

And also this wrong....

HDMI can (since 2006 ! - HDMI 1.3) drive Monitors with 2560x1600 @ 75Hz, it is only the monitor manufacturers/microsoft who screw up.

Well yeh...true :P

Not quite. DVI cannot carry an audio signal, while HDMI can.

Oh yeh.....mind fart

Well yeh...true :P

If you really think about it most graphics cards these days above $100-$150 all have at least one dual link DVI. 

And higher refresh rate :)

But to the OP: Linus would probably like to give you a hug ^^

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I didn't notice any difference in using DVI instead of VGA on my monitor (1280x1024 ViewSonic VP171s), but at least I got my 25 DVI-D cables for free (found lying around in the trash at a local scrapyard). I still have 17 DVI-D cables, most of them are in original packaging and completely functional yet no-one wants to buy them...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I use a 1080p VGA monitor at home and a 1920*1200 DVI monitor at work. I honestly, really don't see any significant difference at all. The DVI one has a bit better colour depth, but that's really all I could give you. :/

Will be switching out someday to a larger 1080p+ monitor so then I'll switch over permanently

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

I've been using VGA on my 1080p monitors for about 3-4 years now. Till I was looking at all the Linus tech tips video and found a comparison. I saw it and decided to post on here asking about it. So I've finally switched to DVI, ordered some 3 meter long gold plated DVI cables. And straight after switching I noticed nothing... everything was the same. Then when I went on to the forum, I would get the vague lines coming down before, I thought that was just the monitor... yet they were gone. I actually thought my monitor was dying for a couple minutes till I peeked at my graphics card and saw the big black cables poking out the back of it. And so I grabbed a second monitor. This old LCD I thought was crap cause it always looked so bad. And so after plugging it in I get an option for 1600x900... yet all the other times it could stretch to 1366x768... everything looked clearer on that! So now I have not 1 but 2 displays. One LCD and one LED. So kinda out of wack but it works. I'm amazed at just what DVI can do compared to VGA. I thought it would just be colours and contrast. Yet it didn't change that it changed the whole viewing experience. And funnier yet the LCD one looked so bad with VGA I actually thought it was one of those old fat monitors. Yet after reading what CRT monitors actually are I found out, so DVI literally changed my whole viewing experiences... for only like $20

You don't need gold plated cables waste of money

Why I asked is because I have a HDTV that I'm trying to achieve a higher resolution then just 1080P

Your tv has to be over 1080p to display over 1080p the cables won't make a difference in that aspect

I have to agree with both of you here. On my monitor (Acer G226HQL) I see absolutely no change going from DVI to VGA. Honestly, I don't think there is any difference in picture quality unless you have an amazing quality monitor to start with, especially with 1080p or lower resolutions.

and @Mike_The_B0ss, Your resolution issue was likely not caused by the VGA interface itself. May have been an issue either in the GPU VGA output, the VGA cable, or the VGA port on the monitor. VGA will carry signals just fine up to 1920x1200 resolution monitors.

Like how you only notice a difference in sound card quality if you already have good headphones eh? Yeah I'd subscribe to that line of thinking.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.