Migrating OS To new drive

I recently bought a 960 evo m.2 ssd for my computer, to serve as my new primary boot drive. I was wondering if it is possible to migrate my current version of Windows 10 on my HDD onto the new drive, as I would not like to have to pay for a new license key for Windows 10

Thanks for your help

1 minute ago, PlanetHewie said:

I recently bought a 960 evo m.2 ssd for my computer, to serve as my new primary boot drive. I was wondering if it is possible to migrate my current version of Windows 10 on my HDD onto the new drive, as I would not like to have to pay for a new license key for Windows 10

Thanks for your help

if you link your windows to your microsoft account, it says your key. when migrating, use AOMEI Partition Assistant (thats what i used), it will transfer just the used data and OS and will make the new drive bootable. (there is a button on the side that says migrate OS to ssd) . depending on the speed of the drive this will take about an 1/2 hour

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

3 minutes ago, PlanetHewie said:

Thanks for your help

Acronis True Image.

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

If you reinstall it it will activate automatically as it uses the motherboard or your microsoft account to activate it.

You can also clone it with something like macrum reflect

Download Samsung Migration Assistant. Install and use that.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

You should do a clean install, unless you want to have a bunch of windows issues in the future.

You don't need to buy a new copy of windows, you're not changing your motherboard so it will stay activated.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

you could also boot computer to recovery mode

choose cmd line

then do robocopy *.* c: "newdriveletter":

or xcopy but also use appropriate / letters or - letters with the commands

xcopy /? or robocopy /? to get that list

also note to do format /? to get the needed letter to set bootable flag on new drive(this is done before the copying).

*.* means allfiles allextensions

Option #1

There will be zero issues if you use Samsung Migration Tool. It is only compatible with destination Samsung Drives.

You install the software onto your existing hard drive and connect your other drive to the PC with nothing on it.

After you install the tool, you will see a pretty straightforward menu which recognizes the Samsung brand SSD in the system and allows you to do a direct copy from one drive to the other. It will automatically compensate for the size difference (if there is one) and adjust the empty space on the volume accordingly to fit the new drive.

After you're finished, unplug your original drive and voila. I use it all of the time and I've never had a problem. It will be a direct and seamless transition between the two.

One thing though... Make sure that the drive you're copying from is UEFI Boot with GPT partition scheme to get the full benefit of the faster boot time. If it is MBR, I would recommend starting from scratch on the new drive, but in the end its up to you. For instance, you could go from booting in 5-7 seconds to 2-3 seconds.

Since fragmentation isn't really a big deal on SSD's starting from scratch really isn't going to benefit too very much unless your OS HDD is old with a lot of bad sectors and file corruption to begin with.

Option #2

Acronis True Image is also a very useful tool, but can sometimes be a pain in the ass with NVMe compatibility if you are using an NVMe M.2 compatible drive or slot. I had this issue trying to migrate my recent GIgabyte H270-WIFI board's Corsair MP500 M.2 NVMe drive (since it wasn't samsung I couldn't use Migration Tool).

But I use Acronis True Image on a daily basis to image 50 machines in a single day with the exact same software setup for mass deployment. It is super easy to use and convenient.

Also, if you do use Acronis be sure that you create the Acronis Bootable Media with UEFI compatibility and select the UEFI Boot Device (it will be labeled) from  your boot menu for it to work properly when creating the duplicate. I've had issues with his in the past as well.

Edited by b105f00d