Haswell i3 + 1070 = heavy bottleneck?

ChuckMaurice
1 minute ago, jldjul said:

I mean, I have a computer that's working well, but I have to do a lot of compromises: lot of noise/heat while gaming, and I have to do content creation on my laptop (Dell XPS though, pretty great)

Well you can get an i5 second hand for kinda cheap(that still will botteneck, but way less), or some i7 K, but i3 3,4 Ghz with a high-end GPU is simply not a great combo. If you sell your i3 you can get some second hand i5 for really cheap. 

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

3 minutes ago, jldjul said:

This was my original plan but a few people told me that Ryzen was a much more interesting alternative since the Haswell is getting old, I still have DDR3 RAM and such...

However Ryzen doesn't seems mature at this point, so waiting seemed more interesting to me.

If your gaming, a 4790K is still one of the best CPU that you can get for it.

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

1440p pushes the bottleneck off the CPU a bit.

Source for Ryzen bottlenecking 1070 at 1440p?

Its uite easy to extrapolate with results like this:

Note that the i3 benchmarked utterly wrecks the i3 4130.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

19 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Excellent point, but I can't. I actually used the i5 before but kinda "sold" it as the server build mentioned is shared with some friends. As I was away for half a year I figured out I wouldn't have time for gaming so I gave the i5 away as a participation to the costs of the build (along other things). I then got an i3 for cheap to keep the computer usable. Getting the i5 back would mean I would have to pay for another CPU for the server.

give them your i3

Just now, Tiwaz said:

give them your i3

I would still have to pay for the price difference. And we've done measurements: the i3 would barely be enough.

[Insert smart comment here]

On a side note, the i3 4130 is actually worse for gaming than an FX 8350. So its pretty much only good for light gaming with what are now entry level cards (eg. a modern equivalent to the GTX 660), with power powerful graphics cards being the equivalent of burning money.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/11/14/intel-core-i3-4130-haswell-review/1

PMSL

1 hour ago, jldjul said:

I want to upgrade my current GPU (GTX 670, specs in signature). I originally planned to go for either a GTX 1060 or a RX480 but I found an almost new GTX 1070 for ~350€. In France it's quite a steal but I didn't planned to upgrade anything other than GPU, as I want to wait for 10nm CPUs and possibly DDR5 RAM to do a full upgrade.

Will bottleneck be very high with this GPU and my i3-4310? I play in 1440p, games like Overwatch, The Witcher 3, Battefield series, The Division... mostly FPS and RPG

you should be ok with the 1070

I mean, down the road you can alwais get a used 4670/4690 (k)

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

41 minutes ago, RuLeZ said:

Well you can get an i5 second hand for kinda cheap(that still will botteneck, but way less),

what are you even saying ?

a 4670/4690 i5 won't be a bottleneck for a 1070 xD

what kind of world do you live in ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

55 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

If your gaming, a 4790K is still one of the best CPU that you can get for it.

Its uite easy to extrapolate with results like this:

Note that the i3 benchmarked utterly wrecks the i3 4130.

Not too sure what part you're referring to?

At the same time I did skim through :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

19 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

what are you even saying ?

a 4670/4690 i5 won't be a bottleneck for a 1070 xD

what kind of world do you live in ?

I said that will be a botteneck, I think you are underestimating a GTX 1070, it is as powerfull as a Titan X from a generation ago.

Even a i7 k haswell can botteneck at 1080p.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

The higher the resolution you play at puts more of a focus on the GPU rather than CPU. So if your playing at 1080p and depending what game your CPU will be at like 100% and your GPU say at 51% and this is due to your CPU physically not able to keep up with the amount of frames your GPU is pumping out. Personally you have a choice move upto i5 or i7 or move to ryzen as they do have some very good results. Yes its newer tech and proably still has a few more growing pains but as long as you keep upto date with BIOS updates and all that Jazz you will be fine. Think 1 of the big youtubers did a video on CPU bottlenecks and how to work around them. Good luck.

CPU is nowhere near good enough for a GTX 1070...it'll be a stutter fest a much lower FPS than what you would get with a proper CPU. Even a GTX 1060 or RX 580 would be held back a fair bit...heck i tested haswell core i3 with a GTX 780 (yeah...a 780) and the CPU was holding it back a fair bit already at 1080p gaming

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yup, i5 will bottleneck a GTX 1070 in 1080p, in certain games. Already today (meaning, you would have more fps with an i7).

Right now for any kind of Gaming, that is above Mid-range:

You simply get an i7. Period. Ignore the i5 exists. You do NOT get an i5. At all as a Gamer.

Untill Ryzen 5 launcher, only the non-K i5 were okay, while the i5 7600k was already useless (same price as i7 7700 non-K, but weaker).

If you can't spend 300 bucks on an i7 7700(k), you get a Ryzen 5 1600 6-Core. MUCH more futureproof, and either same speed as i5 in games, or faster. in Craysis 3 for example, an i5 bottlenecks a GTX 1070 quite hard: 

at 3:04 onwards. With an i5, it's simply impossible to keep at least 60,0 fps in Crysis 3 at all times. 

And Witcher 3 in Novingrad and other dense cities, can use up my i7 6700k @ 4.4 ghz at nearly 100% on all 8 Threads.

TL;DR: Either get an i7 7700, or a Ryzen 5 1600.

If both are too expensive, Ryzen 5 1500x > Ryzen 5 1400.

If you can't afford that, you should not consider a GTX 1070 at all.

Little Bonus tests: 

An overclocked i5 Haswell + fast 2400 Mhz Ram is bottlenecking a RX 480, which is a 199 dollar card.

Keep in Mind, you will upgrade your GPU 1-2 additional times in the Lifespan of your CPU.

If your CPU bottllenecks your GPU today, it will only bottleneck harder and harder in the future, when a much stronger GPU comes in.

28 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

----

TL;DR: Either get an i7 7700, or a Ryzen 5 1600.

If both are too expensive, Ryzen 5 1500x > Ryzen 5 1400.

If you can't afford that, you should not consider a GTX 1070 at all.

Thanks for that, the more I read on this topic the more I consider starting fresh with Ryzen (which was my original idea, I just got cold feet from the immaturity of the platform and the steep price of a full new build.

I'm not set on the 1070. A 1060 or RX480 would be good too, but I don't want to upgrade unless it's a lot more powerful than my GTX670. Seems I have three choices:
- Only refresh CPU/GPU with for example i7-4790K/1060 (assuming the 4790K would bottleneck the 1070) -> 400€ with used parts

- Full upgrade with Ryzen (I'd get at least the Ryzen 1700, for content creation that I now do on my laptop) -> 1000€+. I'll also check how much I can sell my current PC.
- Wait and endure the current build. That's not as bad as it looks: I can play comfortably all of the games mentionned, and even lighter/well optimised games like Overwatch still gives me High/Ultra in QHD@60fps. RAM is very ok, the CPU is well cooled. Also, I can do content creation on my laptop pretty well. The thing annoying me the most is the heat/noise (and small bugs on my MB).

But I think I'm gonna post another topic to choose between this (with part lists...) to avoid getting off topic here.

There is nothing wrong in getting the right GPU for your desired Resolution , and let your CPU Bottleneck for a while (as long it delivers enough fps for you, it's fine!). And Upgrade CPU sometime in the future ^^

Also keep in Mind.. My opinion about CPU Bottlenecks is always while thinking about the future. What is in 4-5 years, what is when you upgrade your GPU to a GTX 1270 or so, that will have +50% more horse power than a Titan Xp today, or something like that.

It will probably not be bad at all, going i5 + 1070 for most games (not for all), but as soon the next GPU upgrade happens.. well, 

11 minutes ago, jldjul said:

Thanks for that, the more I read on this topic the more I consider starting fresh with Ryzen (which was my original idea, I just got cold feet from the immaturity of the platform and the steep price of a full new build.

I'm not set on the 1070. A 1060 or RX480 would be good too, but I don't want to upgrade unless it's a lot more powerful than my GTX670. Seems I have three choices:
- Only refresh CPU/GPU with for example i7-4790K/1060 (assuming the 4790K would bottleneck the 1070) -> 400€ with used parts

- Full upgrade with Ryzen (I'd get at least the Ryzen 1700, for content creation that I now do on my laptop) -> 1000€+. I'll also check how much I can sell my current PC.
- Wait and endure the current build. That's not as bad as it looks: I can play comfortably all of the games mentionned, and even lighter/well optimised games like Overwatch still gives me High/Ultra in QHD@60fps. RAM is very ok, the CPU is well cooled. Also, I can do content creation on my laptop pretty well. The thing annoying me the most is the heat/noise (and small bugs on my MB).

But I think I'm gonna post another topic to choose between this (with part lists...) to avoid getting off topic here.

The 4790K wouldn't bottleneck the GTX 1070 actually, remember it runs at 4-4.4GHz before you overclock (mine manages 4.7GHz@1.32V under air, with 4.8GHz being possible at 1.35V but reuiring a better cooler). Also if you are willing to buy a used graphics card, GTX 980ti is the best value by far.

PMSL

13 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The 4790K wouldn't bottleneck the GTX 1070 actually, remember it runs at 4-4.4GHz before you overclock (mine manages 4.7GHz@1.32V under air, with 4.8GHz being possible at 1.35V but reuiring a better cooler). Also if you are willing to buy a used graphics card, GTX 980ti is the best value by far.

The 980Ti seems really great and I could get a used one around 300€ in France from what I've seen, but the 1070 has a much better power efficiency, and that's a important point for me (an used 1070 is only 50€ more if I get a good deal, but that would justify the power efficiency difference that is around 60-70% better)

I also think the 1070 may have other features (Fast sync) that would come handy.

8 hours ago, RuLeZ said:

PCIE  4 is maybe worth waiting, since PCIE 4 graphics cards will not be compatible with PCIe 3

Who said that? I just read some articles about that and none of them said something like this.

Main PC: R7 3700X / Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi / Radeon RX 5700 XT / 32GB DDR4-3200 / 250GB & 2TB Crucial MX500 (in HP Prodesk 400 Case)

Laptop: R5 2500U / Radeon Vega 8 / 8GB DDR4-2400 / 500GB SK Hynix BC501 (HP Envy x360 13)

My little Server: i7-7700 / Asrock H110M-ITX / 24GB DDR4-2400 / Samsung 860 Pro 250GB & Seagate Firecuda 2TB / VMware ESXi 6.7

(Don't tell me i should Name them, i don't want to ^^)

Digital foundry's youtube channel has a lot of comparisons between pentium, i3,i5, and i7and higher end gpus. may be worth checking their channel out

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

19 minutes ago, TheLaserCucumber said:

Who said that? I just read some articles about that and none of them said something like this.

I think those who should be most hyped for PCIe4 are those working with data-centres and HPC. As it is PCIe2 is still just fine for any graphics card. Unless the graphics card has very little vRAM, in which case the more bandwidth the better (especially if the motherboard also supports DDR4).

People don't realise that going from PCIe3 to 4 would be the same as it was going from AGP x2 to x4. Kind of pointless with the bandwidth of vRAM being so much higher.

PMSL