AMD Readies 9 Threadripper models

inb4 you need dual NH-D15 on top of each other to cool threadripper.

Eager to see the pricing.

This looks like a nice sweet spot: 

• 1976X 12c/24t 3.6ghz (4.1boost) 125w

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

On 6/2/2017 at 4:18 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I've just realized something: AMD may have a trouble in some market segments unless Intel goes all-in with high prices again. I'm referring to those going with the workstation platform for the PCIe lanes and quad-channel RAM, who may be well served by 8-core or even 6-core CPUs. Consumer Ryzen has the cores, but not the PCIe etc, and Threadripper starts at 10 (according to this rumor: they could still do a 2+2+2+2 CPU for X399). Hence, even if Intel's 10-core and above are more expensive, their 6 or maybe even 8-core could be cheaper than the entry-level Threadripper, while having all the X299 features. Then again, I could see a problem for AMD as well if they had to price X399 versions of Ryzen 5 and 7...

Needless to say, if Intel's 6-core parts are priced the same as the cheapest Threadripper, then they don't need to worry :P 

Right now intel looks to be pricing themselves out of competition (estimated $100 a core). Especially if $850-1000 for the 16c thread ripper is accurate. 

I don't think 16c Threadrippers will be less than 1000. That would just be a good chunk of margin loss for AMD, since Intel isn't expected to sell the top i9 CPUs before 2018 according to recent rumours

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

8 hours ago, Agost said:

I don't think 16c Threadrippers will be less than 1000. That would just be a good chunk of margin loss for AMD, since Intel isn't expected to sell the top i9 CPUs before 2018 according to recent rumours

The very top SKU might not be, as my own thinking was it'd come in around $1199.  However, AMD doesn't have any market share in the HEDT market.  At all. Thus, coming in with their top SKU, that will compete against Intel's 18c top SKU, for 1/2 the price is going to force people to pay attention.  

https://videocardz.com/69760/engineering-sample-update

AMD Ryzen  & Ryzen Threadripper
AMD ZD1840A8UGAF4 16/32 3400  3700  AMD Whitehaven
AMD ZD1438A9UC9F4 12/24  3200 3592  Alienware unknown
AMD Eng Sample: 1D3101A8UGAF3_36/31_N 16/32 3100 3600  AMD Whitehaven
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920 12-Core Processor 12/24 3200 ? Alienware unknown
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Quad-Core Processor 4/4 3100 3600 Biostar B350ET2

So we've got the first sighting of the real name.

Also, a Ryzen 3 sighting as well.

Ryzen and TD.jpg

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

if that is its real name , thats alot better than 1998X or so 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

https://videocardz.com/69760/engineering-sample-update

Also, a Ryzen 3 sighting as well.

Ryzen and TD.jpg

I have a feel that we might not see 10c20t and 14c28t parts due to it not being a balanced config across the 4 ccx's.

But if they have 2-3 sku's per I think it will be fine.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I have a feel that we might not see 10c20t and 14c28t parts due to it not being a balanced config across the 4 ccx's.

But if they have 2-3 sku's per I think it will be fine.

There was a 3+1 & 4+2 Engineering Sample that showed up, so it seems doable. The issue is we don't know the effect on the Infinity fabric, especially as you ramp the speed up. So it might just be in this generation we won't see them.  Or we might not see them until a revision.

Still, that looks to be at least 4 SKUs at minimum.

On 6/4/2017 at 6:12 PM, Agost said:

It wouldn't be a huge margin loss, actually. It's x2 Ryzen Octocore dies, which are pulling decent margins with the higher end hexacore configurations if we believe the BitsAndChips-entry Level Tr 16/32 for $850.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

There was a 3+1 & 4+2 Engineering Sample that showed up, so it seems doable. The issue is we don't know the effect on the Infinity fabric, especially as you ramp the speed up. So it might just be in this generation we won't see them.  Or we might not see them until a revision.

Still, that looks to be at least 4 SKUs at minimum.

well they made a point and saying that all of the ryzen 3, 5, 7 are balanced (2+2, 3+3) and it would make sense to want to have a balanced config. I am not expert but wouldn't is cause problems with the L3 cache that is shared?

I can see 3 sku's per core count like the R7's, one low power Sku another mid tier part that has at a good price and a halo tier part clocked higher and have a price premium. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

It wouldn't be a huge margin loss, actually. It's x2 Ryzen Octocore dies, which are pulling decent margins with the higher end hexacore configurations if we believe the BitsAndChips-entry Level Tr 16/32 for $850.

If the rumor of threadripper cpus costing about $120 for AMD to make, going from $850 to $1200 (a price which still makes sense, since the highest offering from Intel would be 12c in that territory) would mean roughly 45% higher margins

I'm talking about the flagship though, not about the lower SKU. Still, I think it could be ~$1000 

It's a bit difficult to make space for 10,12 and 14 core SKUs between $500 and $850 imho

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

On 6/1/2017 at 3:05 AM, sazrocks said:

That's epyc. Threadripper has only 2 dies.

A Ryzen CPU has 2 dies on the package. Threadripper is, essentially 2 Ryzens, while Epyc will be 4 of them.

So 2 dies for Ryzen, 4 dies for TR, 8 dies for Epyc.

14 minutes ago, Agost said:

If the rumor of threadripper cpus costing about $120 for AMD to make, going from $850 to $1200 (a price which still makes sense, since the highest offering from Intel would be 12c in that territory) would mean roughly 45% higher margins

I'm talking about the flagship though, not about the lower SKU. Still, I think it could be ~$1000 

It's a bit difficult to make space for 10,12 and 14 core SKUs between $500 and $850 imho

Looking a lot like we aren't going to see 10 & 14 core models. They can clearly do it, but we don't know the details for other issues that it could cause. (Might cause IF issues during faster Memory Settings, for instance.) So it seems at 4 SKUs at minimum.

12c24t 3.2 Gghz / 3.7 Ghz boost

12c24t X / X

16c32t 3.1 Ghz / 3.6 Ghz boost

16c32t 3.4 Ghz / 3.7 Ghz boost

We'll see from there, as it seems 3.2 to 3.3 Ghz is about peak in the perf/watt curve for the Ryzen process.  I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 1960X model (let's go with that) above the 3.4 / 3.7 model with a higher XFR range.  At some level, that's the point of the XFR system, actually.

4 minutes ago, Norseman4 said:

A Ryzen CPU has 2 dies on the package. Threadripper is, essentially 2 Ryzens, while Epyc will be 4 of them.

Common misconception. 

The CCX is a 4-core Design.  The Zen module is 2 CCXes on a Single Die.  Thus, Ryzen is 1 die; Threadripper is 2 dies; Epyc is 4 dies.  Each die has 8 cores and 2 CCX. 

4 hours ago, Norseman4 said:

No Ryzen is a single die, inside the die it has two CCX's. TR is two dies and Eypc is 4 dies.

Vdz got info on a es sample model 1920, which is for alienware. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Those model numbers..... And no 2017 model !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

On 6/1/2017 at 11:12 AM, WereCat said:

Despite this being 155W TDP, I think it will be actually easier to cool due to the huge surface area and all the heat spread across 4 dies.

Heat is not spread across 4 dies, they ARE the source of the heat. I think it will need pretty darn good air cooler or water cooler like H110

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

anyone know rough pricing or we all still sitting in the dark about that??? especially interested in the 10 core flavours and maybe 12 core ones (depending how much they cost) just so I know as they look great, and like they will overclock similar if not the same to the R7s and R5s, to about 4GHz which will be a beast of a CPU if that's true

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

27 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

anyone know rough pricing or we all still sitting in the dark about that??? especially interested in the 10 core flavours and maybe 12 core ones (depending how much they cost) just so I know as they look great, and like they will overclock similar if not the same to the R7s and R5s, to about 4GHz which will be a beast of a CPU if that's true

We have no confirmation on the 10 or 14 core models, yet.  They're technically possible, but no Engineering Samples or testing with them have shown up. So you'll simply have to wait and see, though one of the sources that's had good information put out the thought of $849 for the lowest-clocked 16c. Most people are expecting them to fill in the 500-700 USD range for at least a few SKUs.

As for OC'ing the CPUs, I'd imagine 3.9 Ghz is going to be a fairly standard, stable OC. The best dies are going to be in Epyc, while Threadripper should have the solid set of the second-tier ones.  Plus, they might be a further stepping than the launch Ryzen chips, so maybe 4.1 Ghz will be more common.  Given it's two packages, I'd expect a super-high OC, for Ryzen, to be less common.  Still, 16c at 3.9 Ghz on a reasonable amount of wattage for that, is pretty dang amazing, given what is currently available at the moment.

9 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

We have no confirmation on the 10 or 14 core models, yet.  They're technically possible, but no Engineering Samples or testing with them have shown up. So you'll simply have to wait and see, though one of the sources that's had good information put out the thought of $849 for the lowest-clocked 16c. Most people are expecting them to fill in the 500-700 USD range for at least a few SKUs.

As for OC'ing the CPUs, I'd imagine 3.9 Ghz is going to be a fairly standard, stable OC. The best dies are going to be in Epyc, while Threadripper should have the solid set of the second-tier ones.  Plus, they might be a further stepping than the launch Ryzen chips, so maybe 4.1 Ghz will be more common.  Given it's two packages, I'd expect a super-high OC, for Ryzen, to be less common.  Still, 16c at 3.9 Ghz on a reasonable amount of wattage for that, is pretty dang amazing, given what is currently available at the moment.

fair enough, the next question isn't super important, but does these CPUs come with a stock cooler, or is it going to need to be an aftermarket one

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

11 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

Heat is not spread across 4 dies, they ARE the source of the heat. I think it will need pretty darn good air cooler or water cooler like H110

It's not spread yes but the chip as a whole is power limited and they have a rated TDP, higher than Ryzen of course. With a larger area producing similar heat output you get greater heat transfer meaning it is easier to cool.

We already know from actual testing the current AMD CPUs use about the same power as Intel's so what ever is required to cool those on compatible CPU SKUs is what will work for AMD too.

Just remember all TDP figures from both companies are a lie.

Just now, Prysin said:

Fix'd

Not sure how Intel is lying about core counts but hey I'll go with it :P