[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yeah, $599 for a 8c/16t part with seems pretty damn nice.  Still offers more CPU PCIe lanes (28 vs 16) then the 1800x and 24 chipset lanes.  Improved IPC and more overclocing headroom.  Not too bad if you ask me.  

Yeah the 7800X is the best value X299 CPU tho... Its MSRP is $389, so less than $350 in Microcenter :ph34r:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

As a 2600K owner, the 7820X looks seriously temping.

Looks like time to pull the trigger, only if I could find a motherboard that looks normal :ph34r:

Just now, Noirgheos said:

1440p 144Hz Heaven.

On top of the decent pricing, you'll have the ability to move up and down within the same socket as you please.  Find out that you need more, just buy a bigger chip.  Find out that you like benchmarking too, grab a 4c/8t high clockspeed part and add it to your arsenal.  Point is, you have flexibility.  

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah the 7800X is the best value X299 CPU tho... Its MSRP is $389, so less than $350 in Microcenter :ph34r:

True enough, but having experienced 8c16t at the store, the whole PC feels more responsive and gaming is incredibly smooth. That's why there are so many people claiming Ryzen is some butter smooth magic, while in reality its just core and thread count.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Just now, OriAr said:

As a 2600K owner, the 7820X looks seriously temping.

Looks like time to pull the trigger, only if I could find a motherboard that looks normal :ph34r:

I think that most people who are going to buy X299 CPUs will get a 7820X TBH :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

True enough, but having experienced 8c16t at the store, the whole PC feels more responsive and gaming is incredibly smooth. That's why there are so many people claiming Ryzen is some butter smooth magic, while in reality its just core and thread count.

Yeah, but AFAIK, this is a 6+ core thing, not an 8+ :D So the 7800X should be just as smooth

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, but AFAIK, this is a 6+ core thing, not an 8+ :D So the 7800X should be just as smooth

Base clock speeds are much lower than the 7820X. Also, burst 2.0 vs 3.0?

4.3GHz on the 7820X is 2.0, which means all cores, right? 3.0 is 4.5GHz, but only the two best performing cores?

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

4.3GHz on the 7820X is 2.0, which means all cores, right? 3.0 is 4.5GHz, but only the two best performing cores?

Not so sure. But if you get a 7800X/7820X you'd better overclock it TBH :D

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Better believe it, but I'd rather have a high base to start from.

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

That's how I understood it too.

4.3GHz on all 10 cores when doing multi threaded intensive tasks, and 4.5Ghz on the 2 best cores when doing intensive single threaded tasks.

Not sure I'll overclock if it's like that tbh :ph34r:

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Better believe it, but I'd rather have a high base to start from.

That's the beauty with Skylake X.  It's going to overclock nicely.  

Just now, OriAr said:

That's how I understood it too.

4.3GHz on all 10 cores when doing multi threaded intensive tasks, and 4.5Ghz on the 2 best cores when doing intensive single threaded tasks.

Not sure I'll overclock if it's like that tbh :ph34r:

Also keep in mind that with TB 3.0, Windows does a great job of keeping those single threaded apps on those 2 best cores with the 3.0 driver installed.  You can even manually   manipulate how high you want the two best cores to clock up in BIOS.  Great for overclocking for single-threaded performance without increasing thermal load too much.   

That's the beauty with Skylake X.  It's going to overclock nicely.  

Yeah, this time around I am going to get an AiO so that I can overclock my CPU and not have it at stock :D

16 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, this time around I am going to get an AiO so that I can overclock my CPU and not have it at stock :D

After you  delidded it

2 minutes ago, Flavio hc 16 said:

After you  delidded it

If Intel doesn't use too much adhesive to glue the IHS, there will be no need to delid the CPU :D

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Going to get those QDC AIOs from EK.

18 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If Intel doesn't use too much adhesive to glue the IHS, there will be no need to delid the CPU :D

The thermals have only gotten worse since Ivy Bridge with adhesive.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

All those 6950x on eBay tho lel

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

12 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It should be noted that 10c20t part is going from $1700 to $1000 in this update.  As if we ever needed confirmation that Intel was pricing those parts because they could, now we know for certain.

mate of mine owns the 10c20t with a Rog Anniversary MB and he was saying these prices are like a real kick in the teeth and can't argue with him.  

6 hours ago, GrayTech said:

For me the Ryzen 5 1600 is still the better choice and I think many people will get this CPU because of its price and X299 motherboards probably cost way more then a B350 one. In my opinion, Intel should sell 4 core 4 threads i3s and 4 cores 8 threads i5s next generation. Otherwise I'm not sure how competitive their mid-end chips will be.

completely agree, intel in such a weird spot, the G4560 makes the entire i3 range pointless and the R5 makes the i5&i7 range redundant excluding the 7700k for overclockers. and can't see a i5X or i7X pluggin those holes.

6 hours ago, Masada02 said:

I'm pumped. These things along with Threadripper and Ryzen are going to make for a great year in CPU's. Too bad the 8-core part doesnt have 40 PCI-E lanes as that's the one I'd be most interested in but I need mah PCI-E lanes...

I might be off on PCI lanes, but what exactly would you need more ? what you running in your rig ? 

5 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Wait a minute, 

As we go say above 6 cores the target market becomes video editors and other workstation uses. At that level core clocks and ipc don't matter as much as they do at the lower end. So people would prefer buying ryzen as it is not trash and gives you the necessary cores. 

Whereas on the kaby lake x side, I beleive nobody is going to buy a 7740x or even a 7640x for that matter as it requires a motherboard that is clearly going to be more than half the processor's price. 

Intel should have thought this out more. 

Agree man, They only point I can see is bragging rights if you go with X299 and a i5X or i7X yes you get a upgrade path but those prices though. you better off buying a R5 1400 and get the upgrade path all the way up to 1800X for way cheaper. 

57 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Chances are EXTEMELY likely, it's a lie. Like Skylake's 15% performance increase over Broadwell, and Kabylake's 15% performance increase over Sky.

Intel's been sitting on a feature list for years, as well as an IPC advantage, and a clockspeed advantage over Ryzen. But none of that means jack shit unless Intel realizes that Ryzen can survive X299 fairly well because it wipes everything Intel offers in price/performance, and it's not far behind when it comes to performance. Seeing the current price list rumors, I doubt X299 is going to appeal to anyone unless they're either:

A) Going for the 18 core, with intent to actually use the 18 core.

B) Benchmarking/going for world records

C) Stupid.

hahaha you see they found this lovely word so you can't call them stupid, its Enthusiast. In their minds having 20+ threads is like Super Badass and L33T, and frankly because they can spend that amount of money it makes they just better than you. Goddamn PCMR crap all over again :P 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

hahaha you see they found this lovely word so you can't call them stupid, its Enthusiast.

Actual enthusiasts will straight up call anyone rocking HEDT for any reason other than leveraging features of HEDT, benching on HEDT, or chasing world records, stupid. It's called the Enthusiast platform because its target audience is enthusiasts.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Actual enthusiasts will straight up call anyone rocking HEDT for any reason other than leveraging features of HEDT, benching on HEDT, or chasing world records, stupid. It's called the Enthusiast platform because its target audience is enthusiasts.

normally I would agree but the amount of posts (On other forums and some here) from Enthusiasts saying "I know I'll never use HEDT but I want xx Cores because its awesome/why not/the best (the xx all been cores above 10) 

and yes Actual Enthusiasts would say exactly that, the problem is there is more and more people who have really deep pockets and go around calling themselves enthusiasts.  Its a bit sad :(  

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

normally I would agree but the amount of posts (On other forums and some here) from Enthusiasts saying "I know I'll never use HEDT but I want xx Cores because its awesome/why not/the best (the xx all been cores above 10) 

and yes Actual Enthusiasts would say exactly that, the problem is there is more and more people who have really deep pockets and go around calling themselves enthusiasts.  Its a bit sad :(  

6 core is right about the sweat spot today for someone trying to run a single well balanced setup.  With that said, those who bought 6 or 8 cores a year or two ago were viewed as extremists.  :D

Just now, Not_Sean said:

Enthusiasts saying "I know I'll never use HEDT but I want xx Cores because its awesome/why not/the best (the xx all been cores above 10)

Idiots say that. Actual enthusiasts know what they want to do, and build their systems to do that, and then some as software demands more from hardware as time goes on. If we want to have certain hardware, we create use case scenarios to make use of said hardware.

3 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

Actual Enthusiasts would say exactly that

An actual enthusiast would say this:

A) I want to do X thing, Y processor can easily do it, Z processor is overkill, and W processor is potato. I'm going with Y processor.

B) I want Z processor, so I'll do tasks A and B as well as X to make use of it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Idiots say that. Actual enthusiasts know what they want to do, and build their systems to do that, and then some as software demands more from hardware as time goes on. If we want to have certain hardware, we create use case scenarios to make use of said hardware.

An actual enthusiast would say this:

A) I want to do X thing, Y processor can easily do it, Z processor is overkill, and W processor is potato. I'm going with Y processor.

B) I want Z processor, so I'll do tasks A and B as well as X to make use of it.

and going with Y processor is the best way of doing it :) thats why I also laugh at some of the guys specing out these stupidly op machines and than claiming its for Gaming but they Enthusiast so thats why they wanted Z processor. 

6 core is right about the sweat spot today for someone trying to run a single well balanced setup.  With that said, those who bought 6 or 8 cores a year or two ago were viewed as extremists.  :D

hhahahaha agree. for me its the balance of 8thread & 12 thread. as the 7700k does still reign supreme with speeds and even as some content creation programs don't use mroe than 8 threads its perfect, but 12 thread been that super sweet spot as gives you a little extra and its not like the R5 1600 isn't a good CPU. 

back on topic. In real world I just can't see anything intel released today worrying AMD with the 1600 in the slightest way not at its price. 

and we not even mentioning intel kicking everyone who bought X99 in the last few months over the X299 prices. dick move intel. 

Redstone:

Obsidian:

2 minutes ago, Not_Sean said:

hhahahaha agree. for me its the balance of 8thread & 12 thread. as the 7700k does still reign supreme with speeds and even as some content creation programs don't use mroe than 8 threads its perfect, but 12 thread been that super sweet spot as gives you a little extra and its not like the R5 1600 isn't a good CPU. 

back on topic. In real world I just can't see anything intel released today worrying AMD with the 1600 in the slightest way not at its price. 

and we not even mentioning intel kicking everyone who bought X99 in the last few months over the X299 prices. dick move intel. 

To be fair, this platform and any chip associated with it isn't meant compare with any mainstream chip, to include the 1600 for value.  Actually, it isn't meant to compete for value really at all.  They obviously had to readjust pricing on the Extreme series chips (thanks AMD!!), but as long as they are close enough, a great deal of repeat Intel enthusiast will pick up the new line regardless.

The 6 core mainstream parts are a lot closer then most will believe and I think those are going to be fantastic for most folks.  I think we'll also see some nice IPC stacked onto those additional cores for the mainstream part.  It should pretty much shit all over any current Intel 6 core part.