[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

I can't wait to get my physics score up in benchmarking. I'm going to practice overclocking my 6700K as I haven't done it before so I'll be able to know the basics once I get X299.

Is there an OCing guide you can point me to for beginners? 

3dMark physics scores are all about CPU clockspeed.  Hint, you can pass the physics run on FireStrike and Time Spy at much higher clock speeds then normally stable.  The Time Spy physics test is much harder to pass then the FireStrike physics test.  

Here is an example of me running Fire Strike at 5.55 GHz and Time Spy at 5.4 GHz on the CPU while I'm actually only daily stable at 5.3 GHz.  

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/11890222

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/1657466

4 hours ago, ONOTech said:

As far as I know they measure their TDP differently so it's really an apples to oranges comparison.

Based on reviews, the power draw between the 1800X and a similar Intel 8-core CPU isn't very different.

It's actually potatoes to carrots comparison.

Intel has more potatoes.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2000 USD!?!?!?  At the $899 price of threadripper 16core (and the secret unveiling today of the 32 core) while Intel will be able to boast the more cores more ghz motto, most people will still go with threadripper as it will sit at under 50% of the price with a performance loss of only 12-15%.

5 minutes ago, THE_maverick said:

2000 USD!?!?!?  At the $899 price of threadripper 16core (and the secret unveiling today of the 32 core) while Intel will be able to boast the more cores more ghz motto, most people will still go with threadripper as it will sit at under 50% of the price with a performance loss of only 12-15%.

were did you get this info?

what would be awesome if AMD also announces that Naples will be socket compatible with TR4 but you will not be able to get ecc or 8 channel ram.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

WCCFTech's crystal ball xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

what would be awesome if AMD also announces that Naples will be socket compatible with TR4 but you will not be able to get ecc or 8 channel ram.

Just speculation.   The price I locked in in a thread months ago based upon pricing of the current Ryzen series vs intel and my prediction of the upcoming intel lineup pricing.  The 32 cores, well Intel made a presentation earlier yesterday that did not even include the 14-16-18 core parts to youtubers (such as Paul's Hardware and JayzTwoCents and Linus) and said verbally they would send a corrected slide to showcase these and so they did.  Fact: the socket pin for threadripper is the same as Naples, and with their infinity fabric they can easily produce the part, just need to improve clock speeds.

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

WCCFTech's crystal ball xD

I can see the 16 core part being around $800-$1200 (expecting it to be the higher end.) but who really knows AMD's live stream is at 10pm EDT today. and a secret 32 core part seems crazy, even naples support with reduced features is crazy talk.

I can see the 16 core part being around $800-$1200 (expecting it to be the higher end.) but who really knows AMD's live stream is at 10pm EDT today. and a secret 32 core part seems crazy, even naples support with reduced features is crazy talk.

I am not expecting such a low price, especially if you consider just how MASSIVE the socket is!

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I am not expecting such a low price, especially if you consider just how MASSIVE the socket is!

ya it is speculation on my part but I do expect it to be less then Intels prices per core. all will be revealed in 7 hours.

ya it is speculation on my part but I do expect it to be less then Intels prices per core. all will be revealed in 7 hours.

Of course it will be cheaper, because CCXs :D

Why do Skylake-X processors have better features and performance than Kaby Lake X?  And will Intel Optane run on Skylake X?

It's confusing since Kaby Lake is newer than Skylake.  And Optane can run on Kaby Lake only, right?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

4 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Why do Skylake-X processors have better features and performance than Kaby Lake X?  And will Intel Optane run on Skylake X?

It's confusing since Kaby Lake is newer than Skylake.  And Optane can run on Kaby Lake only, right?

Optane is probably going to run on Skylake-X.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

5 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

when you are spending $250+ on a motherboard i hope you have a SSD in that build which would make the Optane no longer needed. Optane is basically only useful on systems which have a HDD as their main boot drive.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

when you are spending $250+ on a motherboard i hope you have a SSD in that build which would make the Optane no longer needed. Optane is basically only useful on systems which have a HDD as their main boot drive.

Won't there be storage based on Optane in the future?

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

3 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

If the ~ 18% IPC gain is true

Chances are EXTEMELY likely, it's a lie. Like Skylake's 15% performance increase over Broadwell, and Kabylake's 15% performance increase over Sky.

3 hours ago, VagabondWraith said:

I always said Intel was sitting on something until the day AMD releases a competitor.

Intel's been sitting on a feature list for years, as well as an IPC advantage, and a clockspeed advantage over Ryzen. But none of that means jack shit unless Intel realizes that Ryzen can survive X299 fairly well because it wipes everything Intel offers in price/performance, and it's not far behind when it comes to performance. Seeing the current price list rumors, I doubt X299 is going to appeal to anyone unless they're either:

A) Going for the 18 core, with intent to actually use the 18 core.

B) Benchmarking/going for world records

C) Stupid.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

That pertains to the early release Optane.  Intel will be making larger Optane drives available that will be considerably faster then current NVMe drives.  You need to have an Optane capable board in order to use them.  

4 minutes ago, YamiYukiSenpai said:

Won't there be storage based on Optane in the future?

the kabylake only aspect is the preparatory caching tech. Optane can be used as a normal SSD in any NVME ready system/OS. but again I would rather have a 256/512 960 Pro over a 32/64 Optane as a boot drive.

I honestly don't even see much appeal to the 960 pro I would rather have 1TB of sata SSD storage then 512GB of NVME storage.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

That pertains to the early release Optane.  Intel will be making larger Optane drives available that will be considerably faster then current NVMe drives.  You need to have an Optane capable board in order to use them.  

as stated above I still feel like more SSD space is better (at least for me) then faster SSD space.

I never once thought my Raid 0 2x512GB SDD array was slow. my server has a 960 pro, it is awesome and fast but besides benchmarks it almost gives me no benefit. (I think it only helps with the 4 VMs that run off it.)

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Chances are EXTEMELY likely, it's a lie. Like Skylake's 15% performance increase over Broadwell, and Kabylake's 15% performance increase over Sky.

Intel's been sitting on a feature list for years, as well as an IPC advantage, and a clockspeed advantage over Ryzen. But none of that means jack shit unless Intel realizes that Ryzen can survive X299 fairly well because it wipes everything Intel offers in price/performance, and it's not far behind when it comes to performance. Seeing the current price list rumors, I doubt X299 is going to appeal to anyone unless they're either:

A) Going for the 18 core, with intent to actually use the 18 core.

B) Benchmarking/going for world records

C) Stupid.

7820X and below are priced really competitively. 8c16t for $600 USD? That's a fine price for the likely improvement over the 1800X. 

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Just now, Noirgheos said:

7820X and below are priced really competitively. 8c16t for $600 USD? That's a fine price for the likely improvement over the 1800X. 

Told ya :P Remember this status update?

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/255492-app4that/?status=168014&type=status

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

They really aren't though. If AMD only offered the 1800X, they would be, but they've got the 1700 that goes for around the same price as Intel's 7700K and can easily match anything the 1800X can do as far as overclocking goes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I do. Waiting for benchmarks, but it seems this is likely going to be my upgrade. 7820X and 1080 Ti/Vega here I come.

Just now, Drak3 said:

They really aren't though. If AMD only offered the 1800X, they would be, but they've got the 1700 that goes for around the same price as Intel's 7700K and can easily match anything the 1800X can do as far as overclocking goes.

True enough.

Just now, Noirgheos said:

I do. Waiting for benchmarks, but it seems this is likely going to be my upgrade. 7820X and 1080 Ti/Vega here I come.

I think I am going to get the 7820X too :D If not, I will most likely buy a 7800X. (or maybe Ryzen :ph34r:)

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, $599 for a 8c/16t part with seems pretty damn nice.  Still offers more CPU PCIe lanes (28 vs 16) then the 1800x and 24 chipset lanes.  Improved IPC and more overclocking headroom.  Not too bad if you ask me.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, $599 for a 8c/16t part with seems pretty damn nice.  Still offers more CPU PCIe lanes (28 vs 16) then the 1800x and 24 chipset lanes.  Improved IPC and more overclocing headroom.  Not too bad if you ask me.  

1440p 144Hz Heaven.