[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

This is what competition looks like. Although I still cant understand why the actual F I would put an i5 to an X299 mobo or even a normal i7. NO HT no more lanes only quad channel support and TB 3.0.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

4 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

OH DON'T YOU WORRY MAN. I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!. So you know how the i7-6850k exist? Basically an i7-6800k with more PCIe lanes and higher clock speed. Intel don't worry, I'm looking for a job if you need someone for marketing. Listen carefully... RELEASE A (still following me?) OK! RELEASE A i9-7935X (because the 5 really lets people know it is better) FOR $800 AND GET THIS! THE ONLY BENEFIT FOR A SMALL SUM OF $200 IS 16 EXTRA PCIe LANES!!!

Like I said, I'm looking for a job.

I'm honestly surprised that this wasn't in their lineup...

1 hour ago, mikat said:

18 cores at 3.5+ Ghz for only 2k$? almost sounds too good to be true, super nice for datacenter applications that don't need ECC memory, like cheap render farms :)

The 18c part likely won't clock that has as a base. More likely around 3.0 Ghz.  The Turbo Boost 3.0 allows them to clock 1 core really high.

Looks like I'll be going with the 7900X for my next build. I plan to do a full detailed thread of the build later this year with custom water loop. Looking forward to it, hope the reviews go well for these new cpus.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Just now, Paragon_X said:

This is what competition looks like. Although I still cant understand why the actual F I would put an i5 to an X299 mobo or even a normal i7. NO HT no more lanes only quad channel support and TB 3.0.

The consumer i5/i7 are only dual channel man.

No. This isn't competition. The only competition they've done is the i7-7820x at $599. Everything below that has had no price change and is even HIGHER in price once you factor in the X299 price premium.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

Platform adoption and we're going to get reams of articles saying "7740k is the best gaming CPU".  Watch for it.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Platform adoption and we're going to get reams of articles saying "7740k is the best gaming CPU".  Watch for it.

TFW your mobo is 30% more expensive than your CPU.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

3 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

Looks like I'll be going with the 7900X for my next build. I plan to do a full detailed thread of the build later this year with custom water loop. Looking forward to it, hope the reviews go well for these new cpus.

At that price I wouldn't be surprised to see AMD giving you 4 more cores/8 more threads.

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

Because Intel was high?  There is no reason for those processors on that chip set.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

Because Intel was high?  There is no reason for those processors on that chip set.

Because intel is doing panicky moves, with no coherence or logic.

1 hour ago, Pohernori said:

So Skylake X is not soldered... 

huh...

Yeah... that was the 6 Core SKU (7800X), I wonder what's the case with the 18 Core. People spend over a grand to a cpu and then find out that its OC-potential is notable thermally bottlenecked.

I sort of get it why they don't use solder on the mainstream socket anymore if there's some deeper technical reasonings behind it. But on the HEDT platform where cpus have higher TDP and huge die sizes, I don't see the point of not using proper thermal interface.

Just now, Paragon_X said:

Because intel is doing panicky moves, with no coherence or logic.

I'm glad that AMD is making Intel nervous.  Competition is good for consumers.  

But still, Kaby lake x is beyond panicking, it's full on stupid.

ryzen still looks like a better option, as those are fucktardedly expensive, for not much more performance, and are kinda pointless unless intel starts offering more cores for not even affordable price but a more reasonable price, also intel's lineup is confusing as all heck, also it's a kick in the nuts for anyone who's bought kaby lake, as not even 6 months on and there's a upgraded version, the 1151 chips should have been released at kaby lake's launch.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

It should be noted that 10c20t part is going from $1700 to $1000 in this update.  As if we ever needed confirmation that Intel was pricing those parts because they could, now we know for certain.

Just because they dropped the price by $700, doesn't mean $1,000 is still justified. The 6950x should have been $1,100 from the start. It's not like it was slightly overpriced, it was a joke of a CPU for the price. Plus the fucking jump from $599 to $999 is another big joke. Yay, a $400 gap. HYPE

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

4 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Just because they dropped the price by $700, doesn't mean $1,000 is still justified. The 6950x should have been $1,100 from the start. It's not like it was slightly overpriced, it was a joke of a CPU for the price. Plus the fucking jump from $599 to $999 is another big joke. Yay, a $400 gap. HYPE

At $1000, it's probably properly priced, but it just show how much they had been gouging people for the top-tier chip the last few generations.

5 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Guess where AMD is going to price most of their lineup...

Ye ole' train

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

At $1000, it's probably properly priced, but it just show how much they had been gouging people for the top-tier chip the last few generations.

My man, the Extreme Edition CPUs have always been $999 to $1089. The 6950x should of ORIGINALLY been $1,089. It isn't properly priced in the slightest and the simple conception that you think it is reasonable is beyond me

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

My man, the Extreme Edition CPUs have always been $999 to $1089. The 6950x should of ORIGINALLY been $1,089. It isn't properly priced in the slightest and the simple conception that you think it is reasonable is beyond me

Likely $600-$1,200... So? So 10c/20t at the price of the 7800X? 12C at $800? 14c at $1000? 16c at $1200? shocked

*obviously these numbers are pulled right out of my ass

Just now, DarkBlade2117 said:

Likely $600-$1,200... So? So 10c/20t at the price of the 7800X? 12C at $800? 14c at $1000? 16c at $1200? shocked

*obviously these numbers are pulled right out of my ass

actually if they would have done something like that ( and the 18 core ar 1400-1500$) they would have been competitive with amd, especially considering that amd has also support for 64 pcie lanes

We're still not sure on the core counts for Threadripper. In-package should be required to be balanced, but we simply don't know if they can have imbalanced between the two packages.  So 8c, 12c & 16c should be a given.  10c & 14c we don't know about yet. Though that leak of all of those SKUs seemed odd, but the first 16c thread store posts popped up already.  This means we could see an entire slew of SKUs for Threadripper.  

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

No competition is always bad for consumers.  Whether or not the 7900x is properly priced all depends on how AMD prices their thread ripper cpus.

i7-7820X is probably going to be a really strong gaming CPU.  This is going to be kind of hilarious for the articles that get spun out of it. "Let us test a system that's $1000 with just CPU + MB and use this as a baseline for all our benchmarking!". 

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

i7-7820X is probably going to be a really strong gaming CPU.  This is going to be kind of hilarious for the articles that get spun out of it. "Let us test a system that's $1000 with just CPU + MB and use this as a baseline for all our benchmarking!". 

Great for gaming, and content creation.

42 minutes ago, Paragon_X said:

Although I still cant understand why the actual F I would put an i5 to an X299 mobo or even a normal i7

Probably will be LGA 2066 socket for x299, so that is moot