[OFFICIAL] Intel Announces Skylake-X w/ IPC Gain over Skylake-S: i9-7980XE Bringing 18-Cores at $1999, specs TBD until Threadripper

If the ~ 18% IPC gain is true, it will leave AMD quite a bit behind. It is priced accordingly. I always said Intel was sitting on something until the day AMD releases a competitor. I'm going for the 7820X myself. Nice to see enthusiast CPU's get massive clock speed boosts.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

4 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I don't intend to sell my kidney

Nothing wrong with Window shopping.  

1 minute ago, VagabondWraith said:

If the ~ 18% IPC gain is true, it will leave AMD quite a bit behind. It is priced accordingly. I always said Intel was sitting on something until the day AMD releases a competitor. I'm going for the 7820X myself. Nice to see enthusiast CPU's get massive clock speed boosts.

These 1080 Ti cards are going to run nicely on x299.  :D

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Well for price to perf, yes I would go with threadripper

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

Just now, Ezio Auditore said:

Well for price to perf, yes I would go with threadripper

Who wouldn't?  Sometimes you need to sacrifice a little for the sake of a better deal.  That applies to anything in life.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Who wouldn't?  Sometimes you need to sacrifice a little for the sake of a better deal.  That applies to anything in life.  

I feel like this year is going to be a costly one for you, even your wallet may be begging for mercy by the end of the year :)

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

Just now, NuclearKing said:

I feel like this year is going to be a costly one for you, even your wallet may be begging for mercy by the end of the year :)

No, GPUs is where it's going to hurt.  lol 

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The 7820x is nice, I just wish that it had more PCIe lanes.  I guess that would make it more expensive though :P.

Just now, Cinnabar Sonar said:

The 7820x is nice, I just wish that it had more lanes.  I guess that would make it more expensive though :P.

You get 24 chipset lanes too tho :P So you get 48 lanes in total

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, done12many2 said:

No, GPUs is where it's going to hurt.  lol 

You said you were going for Threadripper, are you doing RX Vega as well? Lots to look forward to, with X299, X399, RX Vega, Volta (potentially), and who knows what else.

i5-6600K @ 4.5 GHz |I| Hyper 212 EVO |I| ASUS STRIX Z270E |I| 8 GB DDR4 HyperX FURY
GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6GB @ 2088 MHz
DEEPCOOL TESSERACT WH |I| EVGA 500 W1 80+
1TB 7200rpm HDD |I| 120GB SSD
GN246HL 144Hz 1080p

Corsair K70 LUX RGB |I| Corsair M65 Pro RGB
PCPP: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/DHzYcf

The 7820x is nice, I just wish that it had more lanes.  I guess that would make it more expensive though :P.

Not sure how you did that, but that wasn't my comment.  lol  That was @VagabondWraith, but somehow you changed it to me.  

1 minute ago, NuclearKing said:

You said you were going for Threadripper, are you doing RX Vega as well? Lots to look forward to, with X299, X399, RX Vega, Volta (potentially), and who knows what else.

I was interested in Threadripper because they would have more then likely still had the higher multi-threaded performance with 16c/32 threads, but since Intel is dropping a 18c/36 thread part on us, that $1999 sweetness is calling my name.  Threadripper may still be a go if it's dirt cheap as I'll use it to replace my 5960x.  

Wait so is AMD really now more power efficient than intel or am I reading these specs wrong?

6 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

You get 24 chipset lanes too tho :P So you get 48 lanes in total

As long as GPU rendering isn't bottle necked on x8 lanes, then there wouldn't be a problem.  While there are many studies on game performance on x8 lanes, I haven't seen any on GPU compute tasks.

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Not sure how you did that, but that wasn't my comment.  lol  That was @VagabondWraith, but somehow you changed it to me.  

Oops.

Just now, Spongy141 said:

Wait so is AMD really now more power efficient than intel or am I reading these specs wrong?

Shhhh dont bring it up they get real tilty :P

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Just now, Spongy141 said:

TDP != Power consumption

In benchmarks the 6900K and 1800X consume the roughly same amount of power.

15 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

These 1080 Ti cards are going to run nicely on x299.  :D

Volta sounds better. :D 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 minute ago, OriAr said:

TDP != Power consumption

In benchmarks the 6900K and 1800X consume the roughly same amount of power.

Shhhh.  The guys who spend all day talking about TDP don't realize that.  

They measure TDP differently.  It's almost like comparing apples to oranges.

Exactly. 

I'll be first out the gate to buy the 18 core.  Do I need 18 cores?  Hell to the fuck no, but I *want* 18 cores.

TIM is awesome it means I can pop the top off and direct die watercool with CLU.  4.5Ghz * 18 cores is going to be fucking insane heat output so the closer to the die I can get the better.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 minutes ago, Spongy141 said:

Power is complicated, they rate TDP differently. Wait for real world usage :D

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Just now, randomhkkid said:

Not to mention a boost of 4.5. Imagine HEDT chips hitting 5.2 with ease. :o Never would I have imagined that. Ryzen is shown to be over their TDP in certain workloads esp when overclocked.

1 minute ago, randomhkkid said:

The correct answer. New chips, we honestly dont know but if the TDP is anything to go by they'll run hot as all hell so drop some extra dosh on a solid cooler.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'll be first out the gate to buy the 18 core.  Do I need 18 cores?  Hell to the fuck no, but I *want* 18 cores.

TIM is awesome it means I can pop the top off and direct die watercool with CLU.  4.5Ghz * 18 cores is going to be fucking insane heat output so the closer to the die I can get the better.

Everyone continues to miss the point.  This line of chips isn't made for the mainstream guy who overclocks his CPU buy 100 or so MHz and calls mom to brag about it.

Guys who buy this shit don't care about how well it will do on Noctua's latest air cooler or if it's a great value.  

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Everyone continues to miss the point.  This line of chips isn't made for the mainstream guy who overclocks his CPU buy 100 or so MHz and calls mom to brag about it.

Guys who buy this shit don't care about how well it will do on Noctua's latest air cooler or if it's a great value.  

I can't wait to get my physics score up in benchmarking. I'm going to practice overclocking my 6700K as I haven't done it before so I'll be able to know the basics once I get X299.

Is there an OCing guide you can point me to for beginners?