Supreme Court puts a dent on patent trolls

The Supreme Count had ruled on Monday with a vote of 8-0 that defendants who are filing a patent infringement lawsuit, can only do where they are incorporated. This has overruled the previous ruling where defendants can file patent lawsuits anywhere their products are sold. The latest ruling came from a legal battle between beverage flavoring company TC Heartland LLC and food and beverage company Kraft Heinz Co. Where

Kraft filed a dispute against Heartland in a Delaware federal court. Heartland attempted to get the matter transferred to its home state of Indiana, arguing that it has no presence in Delaware and that 98 percent of its sales come from outside of the state. The aforementioned appeals court last year denied the request for transfer.

With the new ruling in place, it will make it more difficult for patent trolls to file lawsuits, cause...

One hotbed for patent trolls is East Texas as evident by the fact that more than 40 percent of all patent suits in the US are filed in that region. Today’s ruling should make it harder for patent trolls to go after companies and may even dissuade firms from filing suits in the first place, thus allowing tech companies to focus on what really matters: innovation.

c6d5d0c27ff7.jpg

http://www.techspot.com/news/69421-supreme-court-makes-harder-patent-trolls-hand-pick.html

https://www.techpowerup.com/233616/patent-trolls-to-lose-their-homefield-advantage-thanks-to-supreme-court

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

dam. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

dam. 

What does the architectural achievement of beavers have to do with anything?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

What does the architectural achievement of beavers have to do with anything?

the spike and where 40% are all in the same location 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I would rather they set some hard definitions for what constitutes patent trolling. I.E things like only being able to start legal proceedings if you actually manufacture or directly contract manufacturing of a product that uses said IP.   This would end patent portfolios or at least limit them to active production. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Now if they could set more rule like "if you're not doing anything with the patent, you lose it" kind of deal, that'd be great. Because a lot of patent trolls essentially just buy patents and sit on them, suing anybody who come up with "similar" concepts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

They need to overhaul the whole system.

for example, a patent shouldn't be issued for a vague undefined concept, as it often does.

5 hours ago, mr moose said:

I would rather they set some hard definitions for what constitutes patent trolling. I.E things like only being able to start legal proceedings if you actually manufacture or directly contract manufacturing of a product that uses said IP.   This would end patent portfolios or at least limit them to active production. 

Then you couldn't defend patents for ideas that are still being finalized. You would have done all the work to create the product and someone could beat you to making it and you wouldn't be able to go after them with that patent with your suggestion.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I would like to note the OP is mistaken a bit in their statement. The defendant is the one being sued, the plantif is the one filing suit. the plantif's now must file suit in the region in which the defendant is incorporated. so if a company is incorporated in southern california, the plantif must sue them in the federal courts of southern california

26 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Then you couldn't defend patents for ideas that are still being finalized. You would have done all the work to create the product and someone could beat you to making it and you wouldn't be able to go after them with that patent with your suggestion.

It wouldn't be hard to put a time constraint on new patents or patents in development.  Simply meaning a new patent could be listed as an R+D patent giving the company protection until the product goes into full production.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

11 hours ago, Aaron Wolfy Black Fox said:

So this means all the patent trolls will be moving to east texas?

No. The patent trolls are the plaintiffs, this ruling says lawsuits must be filed where the defendants are incorporated. So if a patent troll wants to sue a company, they can't just decide to sue in East Texas because the courts there are bought and paid for by friendly to patent trolls, they have to file where that company is actually from.

So a lot of patent lawsuits in the tech industry would be happening in California or Washington state etc. rather than a backwater like East Texas.

Great math behind the "98% of sales are out of state": 

100% / 50 states = 2%

If its a national company deleware is exactly average for sales...

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler