How fast is the LTT member's internet connection?

zephiK

How fast is it?  

3,701 members have voted

1. 1. To which continent are you from?

2. 2. How is your internet connection delivered to your home?

• DSL
    • Cable
    • Fiber to the (x) or FTT(x)
    • Mobile broadband (HSPA+, LTE, WiMax, EDGE, EV-DO, CDMA, etc)
    • Satellite Internet
    • Dial-up
    • Power line internet/broadband over powerline
    • Some other method (specify in the comments)
    • government subsidized municipal/town wifi
  3. 3. How much do you pay for your home internet (in US dollars)

4. 4. How fast is your connection (download speed in megabits per second)?

5. 5. Do you at least get ≥80% service reliability from your current ISP?

6. 6. Is your current home internet limited by a data cap?

• It's unlimited data baby!
    • Yup, my internet is unfortunately capped
  7. 7. Will you stay with your current ISP?

• Yes at the moment until someone offers something better
    • Yes, I'm a loyal customer
    • Yes because I have no choice
    • No, I'm switching soon
    • No, I'm switching later (specify why in the comments)

Recently my connection was upgraded from 40 Mb to 100 Mb by my ISP without a change in the billing.

Pa6oGts.png

Mystery is the source of all true science.

4 hours ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

We live in Central Canada and pay ~$61 CAD for 1 up 10 down. Actually get .40 up and ~7-8 down... Will be switching sometime in the future due to how much were paying for it.

I read somewhere that @GoodBytes's isp is videotron http://www.videotron.com/residential/internet

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Some things not covered by the poll but I thought I'd mention...

1, my internet is supplied as part of a package including phone line and TV. It is impossible to separate out the internet part cost. They use the standard tricks of intentionally misleading pricing (but kept barely legal) so you can't even look at what it would cost as a new subscriber.

2, on caps, my ISP has peak time upload throttling. If you upload more than xx GB during peak hours, the upload speed is reduced. There are no limits on download.

3, I can't complain about downloads, but the upload speeds suck. Very big difference between download and upload. This in part explains #2 above. The network is built optimised for downloading.

4, I would upgrade, but there isn't anything to upgrade to other than a more expensive package from same ISP, which gives more download but upload is still pathetic. I want FTTH but it is unlikely to be available in my area any time soon. Only FTTC is commonly offered and it is not really an upgrade from what I have. Slightly better uploads, but not enough to make a difference.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

1, my internet is supplied as part of a package including phone line and TV. It is impossible to separate out the internet part cost. They use the standard tricks of intentionally misleading pricing (but kept barely legal) so you can't even look at what it would cost as a new subscriber.

Just use the price you pay. I pay ~$38 for 20 down/20 up fiber internet and that includes landline.

2 minutes ago, porina said:

2, on caps, my ISP has peak time upload throttling. If you upload more than xx GB during peak hours, the upload speed is reduced. There are no limits on download.

Never heard of such thing of throttling during peak times. What I know about capping is that they'll give you a certain high speed data allocation and if you've exceeded that, they'll begin throttling usually to an abysmal speed of 512 kbps just like my previous ISP. 

4 minutes ago, porina said:

3, I can't complain about downloads, but the upload speeds suck. Very big difference between download and upload. This in part explains #2 above. The network is built optimised for downloading.

Mine is 20↑, 20↓ with latency less than 30 ms. I don't know if I could still include upload speed in the poll.

6 minutes ago, porina said:

4, I would upgrade, but there isn't anything to upgrade to other than a more expensive package from same ISP, which gives more download but upload is still pathetic. I want FTTH but it is unlikely to be available in my area any time soon. Only FTTC is commonly offered and it is not really an upgrade from what I have. Slightly better uploads, but not enough to make a difference

That kinda sucks 

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Just use the price you pay. I pay ~$38 for 20 down/20 up fiber internet and that includes landline.

I did.

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Never heard of such thing of throttling during peak times. What I know about capping is that they'll give you a certain high speed data allocation and if you've exceeded that, they'll begin throttling usually to an abysmal speed of 512 kbps just like my previous ISP. 

Mine is 20↑, 20↓ with latency less than 30 ms. I don't know if I could still include upload speed in the poll.

Mine is sold as 75 down 5 up, and a quick speedtest shows I'm currently getting 77 down 5 up. So, they really didn't build in uplink speeds to their network hence only upload throttling. I don't upload much anyway, but this essentially makes online storage a pain.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

I use a local Pennsylvania company called Service Electric TV / Penteledata internet.... I'm locked into a tv internet phone package for like 200 dollars a month for like 200 channels and 10 up 100 down internet... They are raping our bank account but we have no other options....

derp

I'm moving soon and leaving my 100/100 for 2/2. Both are included in rent, so no biggie there. There isn't any home internet with data caps in whole country FYI. Not in mobile data either unless you have some super-duper cheap. like $2 for 1gb limit. Its $5 for unlimited 3g, so I have no idea why someone would take less.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

This is my college's internet, at home i get about 150 down/25-30 up

abe230359a5d5542b79a26c4278dc81c.png

not sure what happened on that top run haha.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

im jumping off Telia whenever i can for Banhof, the only ISP thats not a wuss and seem to care about privacy in the slightest. i cant do it now because im living with my parents for another few years

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6319479624.png

lit

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

Anyone who has Comcast the data is capped at 1tb. I hate my internet because I get 200/10 and as you all know I run PC Budget Solutions the YouTube channel and live streaming even at 720p is tough. It's the fastest Comcast offers that isn't horribly expensive. I pay $160 USD a month for 1 dvr cable box, second highest package and 200/10. Their 2000/2000 would up my bill to $480 and has a $2000 installation charges. Meanwhile FiOS offers 1000/1000 and the same TV package for 145/month but Comcast has blocked them from expanding into my county where I live.

6319561458.png

I am quite happy with the service I'm getting here and we have I think 4-5 different ISP options in my area, that's just for fixed line there's also WIMAX and 4G options

6319716241.png

I usually get about 950/950 but they seem to be having a bit of a bad day today.

I pay 61 euros but that includes a landline, premium hd channels as well as the full Fox Sports suite. Just internet would be 365 a year, or about 30 a month.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Just now, Centurius said:

6319716241.png

I usually get about 950/950 but they seem to be having a bit of a bad day today.

I pay 61 euros but that includes a landline, premium hd channels as well as the full Fox Sports suite. Just internet would be 365 a year, or about 30 a month.

Holy shit! That's close to a Google Fiber speed! :o

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

Holy shit! That's close to a Google Fiber speed! :o

Yeah, it's a Gbps connection and not actually going beyond 950 usually is because of overheads and even the Intel nic not being able to truly leverage the full Gbps :P

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

unknown.png

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

400 Down 50 Up cable internet, "Premium" Cable TV(two DVRS), and two Home Phone Lines for 35 USD per month.... I can't complain...  

"Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey".... Yeah

-The Doctor

40 minutes ago, Centurius said:

6319716241.png

Damn, whereas I'm paying around $80 USD (~71 Eur) for

6319823794.png

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm from neither of these regions listed

6319892682.png

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Currently stuck with shitty ziggo internet and got a 100 Mbps cable to my room so I only have 90 Mbits when I get close to 150 (which is what we paid for) on my phone :/

the problem is is that they have a lot of issues, at least 4 times a year if not more, it's super frustrating.

Cost: 60 euros/month including phone & tv

6319898973.png

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm pretty sure Barbados is a part of North America https://www.countries-ofthe-world.com/countries-of-north-america.html

Caribbean doesn't belong to a continent...

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I'm on a BT business "fiber" plan for work, this is what I'm getting currently.

i2qwm.png

6321088341.png

70 bucks a month plus taxes, modem rental and vodoo = 90 bucks a month. 1TB Data Cap.

Praying for gigabit or even the fabled comcast gigabit pro 2gbps. Unlikely soon.