Can you clean my pc components in water/soak in water?

My hyper 212 evo have been sitting for  quite long, they are full of dust. Is it safe to clean them with water? I  also have bunch of case fans from corsair 750d that are very dusty. Can I just soak them in water?  I wont use them for few weeks because I have already bought new case and heatsinks. And is it safe to clean my corsair 750i power supply version with water too? It's a cancer if I hav to clean it inside with clothes.

basic rule, electricity + water = broken compenents

Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1060 6GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Cougar Turret RGB

PSU: CoolerMaster GX550W CM Storm

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

1 minute ago, johnno124 said:

Dry Everything after, Then it will hopefully be ok

Current Build:

i5 8600k @ 3.6 GHZ - Corsair H115i AIO

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Dual Fan

24 GB Corsair Vengence LPX @ 2400MHZ (3x8)

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

SPCC M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 512 GB

SPCC SSD 128GB

Intel Optane 16 GB M10

WD 2.0 TB Blue

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI

EVGA 430W White 80+

Fractal Design Focus G Gray

Dell E2010H @ 60HZ

3 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

My hyper 212 evo have been sitting for  quite long, they are full of dust. Is it safe to clean them with water? I  also have bunch of case fans from corsair 750d that are very dusty. Can I just soak them in water?  I wont use them for few weeks because I have already bought new case and heatsinks. And is it safe to clean my corsair 750i power supply version with water too? It's a cancer if I hav to clean it inside with clothes.

Wash it, Dry it as much as you can then, it might work

Current Build:

i5 8600k @ 3.6 GHZ - Corsair H115i AIO

EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC Dual Fan

24 GB Corsair Vengence LPX @ 2400MHZ (3x8)

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

SPCC M.2 PCIe Gen3 x4 512 GB

SPCC SSD 128GB

Intel Optane 16 GB M10

WD 2.0 TB Blue

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI

EVGA 430W White 80+

Fractal Design Focus G Gray

Dell E2010H @ 60HZ

Not sure but if you do, make sure you don't just power it off but also unplug it.

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

Sure you can.... Just don't expect them to work again... They might, just don't expect it.

Okay now that the humorous response is out of the way. Water by itself is non-conductive, but it Is a very good solution for Metal Ions which instantly make the water conductive. What I do personally to clean my computer is just grab a can of compressed air, and take whatever I need cleaned outside, and just go to town on it. (In my case it's usually just case filters unless it's a job for someone else)

No no no no why would you ever do that that's a terrible idea. Anyone with even the most basic understanding of electronics can tell you that water + pc components = dead compnents

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just wait for the next Monsoon season and leave your rig out overnight, should be as good as new.

If you're very careful you can but it would be best to use distilled water and don't use tap water because it can leave contaminants behind.  You have to make sure the components are completely dry before connecting them to the computer so cover them in rice or in some kind of desiccant and let them dry for several days.  I only know about this because there was a big boom in cleaning computers where I live after the Nashville floods of 2010.  As for the power supply it might be safer to just get a new one.  Opening power supplies can be dangerous as the capacitors can still hold a charge strong enough to kill a person.

20 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

Snip

The short answer is.... yes. You CAN safely clean your components with water. if done properly with the correct kind of water the chance of something going wrong is minimal.

The long answer is.... no. If you have to ask if its possible to do, chances are you don't really understand how electronics really work and how water adversely affects them; powered on or not. Without this understanding, your chances of ruining something permanently is exceptionally high. If you want to wash out the heatsink of your Hyper 212 evo (the metal part and not any fans or electrical parts) that would be fine. I would HIGHLY recommend not doing it to any other component unless you know EXACTLY what you're doing.

Fan is a no. PSU is a no. Cooler is fine. Go for it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

39 minutes ago, workstationguy said:

I have cleaned motherboards and PSUs with water, but I know what I'm doing (that's an inside joke, I don't)

I used soap and de-ionised water and rinse the boards in de-ionised water also, that was because soap only increases resistance and I didn't want any minerals from tap water. I most certainly do not recommend it, take it to somewhere with an ultrasonic cleaner, they have special solvents that are safe for electrics and can dry them completely, otherwise make sure you understand basic electricity laws and chemistry, even then I'd say stick to a duster cans for the bits that plug in, and water for the heatsinks. 

Yours faithfully

42 minutes ago, johnno124 said:

*non distilled water*
Pure water is a poor conductor.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

*non distilled water*
Pure water is a poor conductor.

And pure water will instantly pick up plenty of trace elements turning it into a perfectly good conductor.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

If you clean the heat sink itself with water, then absolutely no problem. I actually did that some months ago.

The fan and everything else, that's a big no.

Technically, if they are powered off, and you COMPLETELY dry them after doing so, it may be ok (As there is nothing to short). But this would mean leaving it to dry for several days at least (Week or so I would say), very risky. Just use rubbing alcohol if you must. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

You can clean/soak them in isopropyl alcohol as it evaporates very quickly. You'll have to let it dry for a few hours after, as isopropyl alcohol is very conductive. Technically you could use water if the components are off, but you'll have to dry them for a few days after, so alcohol is reccomended.

"Who's to say that my light is better than your darkness? Who's to say death is better than your darkness? Who am I to say?” - Daniel Keyes

i3-6100/GTX 750 Ti/8GB DDR4 | M1 Macbook Pro 13 16GB RAM/256GB Storage | Steam

I would suggest not soaking anything. The heatsink would probably be fine though. Personally I like using alcohol over water. The fans can be easily cleaned by just rubbing them and you can use water on the blades and frames etc. The PSU is a no from me as it could be very dangerous. Just blow it out with compressed air.

Diesel works best as it evaporates and cleans real well. Sometimes I use WD40 works good on the hands too.

No, you cannot clean fans in water safely. Water can get into the bearing and mess everything up. Just use a wet cloth to clear the blades.

- snip-

7a0ea5da54c37fb4.jpg

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Short answer: no.

Long answer: yes, kind of. but don't, unless you absolutely positively undoubtedly know what you're doing.

Final answer: no.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

3 hours ago, MrDynamicMan said:

No, you cannot clean fans in water safely. Water can get into the bearing and mess everything up. Just use a wet cloth to clear the blades.

Is it that bad? Even if I leave it dry for like a month + hour of hair dryer and so on?