Why buy ryzen for gaming when a 7700K performs better

Why would you buy a Ryzen for gaming only when a 7700K is 10-20% better in Games ???

Even in 4k you still get 5-10% gain in half of the games on the market now.

Any idea why would you buy a ryzen for gaming only ?

You shouldn't. People shouldn't.

For pure gamers an R7 CPU isn't a good choice. Now if you're streaming or doing editing, that's different. But if you're purely gaming, a 7700k is better.

Most people recommending R7 CPUs for pure gamers are fanboys.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Better minimums, and games will only start to use more cores so the extra cores will treat you better down the line.

IMO, for 1080p/1440p gaming ONLY, 6700K/7700K still the best CPUs.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Don't get an R7. 

Get the 7700.

BUT if you want to get the R7 - get the R7.

Otherwise - get the 7700. 

It's really that simple.

PS: If you don't want to get the 7700 - get the R7, and vice versa.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Just now, DocSwag said:

You shouldn't. People shouldn't.

For pure gamers an R7 CPU isn't a good choice. Now if you're streaming or doing editing, that's different. But if you're purely gaming, a 7700k is better.

Most people recommending R7 CPUs for pure gamers are fanboys.

Depends how much money the "pure gamer" also. If they want to keep the PC for 2-3 years Ryzen will work much better (possibly even one, depending how long it takes for developers to implement multiple cores) But if they are just going to upgrade to what Intel has next year, then the 7700k is the better choice.

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Depends how much money the "pure gamer" also. If they want to keep the PC for 2-3 years Ryzen will work much better (possibly even one, depending how long it takes for developers to implement multiple cores) But if they are just going to upgrade to what Intel has next year, then the 7700k is the better choice.

I would say you're gonna be waiting at least 3 years for Ryzen to actually start flat out beating the 7700k.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

12 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

Better minimums, and games will only start to use more cores so the extra cores will treat you better down the line.

Marginally better minimums... And Ryzen's CCXs will be holding it back even if games start using more cores.

If they want to keep the PC for 2-3 years Ryzen will work much better (possibly even one, depending how long it takes for developers to implement multiple cores)

If consoles continue to have 8 threads I don't think a lot of games will be able to use more than 8 threads TBH...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

you dont, i recomend them to people who game AND do heavy multi tasking/streaming/edeting, like i do. 100 chrome tabs eats a few fps but its going to be less noticable on a octacore then a quadcore. the R7 is going to see a brighter future but thats also going to be a while, i would say maybe 2-3 years or so before we can see them tied and by that point we will have newer CPUs that outpreform both by a segnifigant margin hopefully. the R5 1600 is the CPU that makes sense from the Ryzen lineup though. its better value then an I5

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

because some of the ryzen parts are significantly cheaper, especially the 4c/8t or 6c/12t ones. Value is more important the raw performance to some. 

That said, I don't plan on it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Marginally better minimums... And Ryzen's CCXs will be holding it back even if games start using more cores.

ehhh the minimum increases I have seen were pretty significant, maybe I'm mistaken, though. 

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I would say you're gonna be waiting at least 3 years for Ryzen to actually start flat out beating the 7700k.

Idk I'd say 2 tops. 

But if OP wants to get 7700k he can I have nothing against it and he won't be dissapointed with either one. But the 1700 will be supported longer since next years CPUs will use a different socket on the Intel side.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If consoles continue to have 8 threads I don't think a lot of games will be able to use more than 8 threads TBH...

True, consoles are the focus points for many developers.

It depends on what YOU want AMD in my opinion is fine for gaming and the minimums arent a little better there alot better i would rather play at 60fps with a minimum of 50 than 120fps with a minimum of 30

Need more cores over raw clock speed? I.e. you want a workstation beast that can game pretty well? Buy Ryzen.

Need raw clock speed over core count? I.e. you want a gaming beast that can do work pretty well? Buy Intel.

Exceptions apply as always, but the exceptions are niche cases.

Neither CPU is bad, even for gaming; the differences in FPS are way overblown unless you're A) using a high-refresh monitor and/or B) utterly incapable of turning down detail settings to meet whatever arbitrary FPS threshold you've decided to care about. If you don't fall under those camps, Ryzen could be a good fit for you. If you do, Intel's your chip.

ehhh the minimum increases I have seen were pretty significant, maybe I'm mistaken, though. 

Minimums aren't really higher on Ryzen, but frametimes are lower, which makes the game smoother. But this is because Ryzen has more cores, X99 CPUs also have lower frametimes than a 7700K ;)

True, consoles are the focus points for many developers.

Yeah, this is why games really like the 7700K's Hyperthreads. Because current consoles are using very weak AMD Jaguar cores.. :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I would venture four years, mainly because there probably won't be a new generation of consoles until 2020 and you should probably add another year for a time delay between when games are optimized for the old console vs the new one. Until then games are going to be optimized for very weak octacores since that's what is in PS4/PS4 Pro/XBox One/XBox Scorpio and the consoles are both the lowest common denominator and the platforms AAA games sell best on. So the hyperthreading on quadcore i7 is enough so that even the best parallelized games of this generation won't overwhelm them. Maybe they will next console generation if Sony or Microsoft put out a console with a decent octacore cpu.

Yeah I gotta agree,

I don't think Games will start using more than 8 thread soon...

I mean.. we had 8 thread cpu since first i7 gen, thats like 7 years ago, and we still have like 95% of games running on maximum 4 cores...

Before the time we see games using mroe than 8 thread I feel like there will be new CPU's already on the market

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

When you have a limited budget and can get an unlocked 4c/8t way cheaper than the Intel equivalent

I would go for ryzen instead of an i5 for sure.

But for MAX performance gaming, I mean, best cpu is still 6700k/7700k for sure

20 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Now if you're streaming or doing editing, that's different. 

Depends on the software you use :P The 7700K destroys every Ryzen (and X99) CPU in Adobe Photoshop and After Effects.

3 minutes ago, smokefest said:

I would go for ryzen instead of an i5 for sure.

But for MAX performance gaming, I mean, best cpu is still 6700k/7700k for sure

Yeah I would definitely take an R5 1600 over any i5. The straight quadcore era is over, new games have been optimized for 8 threads since 2014 (one year after PS4 and XB1 came out with their low clockspeed, low IPC octacore cpus). It's why I bought a Xeon E3-1231v3 cpu in 2014 when I would have bought an i5-3570 or i5-4670 for sure if I built my system in 2012 or 2013.

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Depends on the software you use :P The 7700K destroys every Ryzen (and X99) CPU in Adobe Photoshop and After Effects.

true :P 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, smokefest said:

Why would you buy a Ryzen for gaming only when a 7700K is 10-20% better in Games ???

Because it's only 10-20% better in games when you pair them with the best GPUs, at certain resolutions/details that make you CPU bound.
When you move out of test benches and bring them to people's typical systems, you won't necessarily get a 10-20% difference. That is, instead of getting 150 FPS vs 120 FPS in the 144Hz monitor used for tests, they'll get 80 FPS vs 80 FPS in their 1080p60Hz screen, because that's what their 480 / 1060 at best can deliver.

However, while the performance gap changes as you move from test bench to average Joe, the price difference remains, and a 7700K is >$100 more expensive than an unlocked 6-core Ryzen 5. And the 6- and 8-core parts may often improve the minimums over the i7, despite getting lower averages in test benches.

So, basically some gamers buy them because they make much more sense in their budgets. Money better spent on the GPU.

3 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Because it's only 10-20% better in games when you pair them with the best GPUs, at certain resolutions/details that make you CPU bound.
When you move out of test benches and bring them to people's typical systems, you won't necessarily get a 10-20% difference. That is, instead of getting 150 FPS vs 120 FPS in the 144Hz monitor used for tests, they'll get 80 FPS vs 80 FPS in their 1080p60Hz screen, because that's what their 480 / 1060 at best can deliver.

However, while the performance gap changes as you move from test bench to average Joe, the price difference remains, and a 7700K is >$100 more expensive than an unlocked 6-core Ryzen 5. And the 6- and 8-core parts may often improve the minimums over the i7, despite getting lower averages in test benches.

So, basically some gamers buy them because they make much more sense in their budgets. Money better spent on the GPU.

Makes sense.

But when speaking about best performance for gaming, was assuming pairing the CPU with a high-end GPU ( 1070 and + )

35 minutes ago, smokefest said:

I think it depends on the games. Battlefield is one of those games that can use the 8 cores provided. 

I go off the games people enjoy to play. 

For gaming? 7700K.