Why buy ryzen for gaming when a 7700K performs better

Everyone's got an opinion, so why not add mine to the mix?

While the 7700k is faster in gaming, the difference is not that vast.  If someone wants the absolute fastest CPU possible for gaming and only gaming, then yes, the 7700k would be the best choice.

How many people use their computer for only gaming, though?  Your average gamer will use their computer for other things, which is where the R7 can make a significant difference (it will make a difference regardless, the significance of that difference depends on the user).  For people that leave their browser minimized to the taskbar while gaming, or have various programs running in the background chewing up system resources, the R7 makes more sense than the i7, due to having double the cores to spread out the workload.

5 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Everyone's got an opinion, so why not add mine to the mix?

While the 7700k is faster in gaming, the difference is not that vast.  If someone wants the absolute fastest CPU possible for gaming and only gaming, then yes, the 7700k would be the best choice.

How many people use their computer for only gaming, though?  Your average gamer will use their computer for other things, which is where the R7 can make a significant difference (it will make a difference regardless, the significance of that difference depends on the user).  For people that leave their browser minimized to the taskbar while gaming, or have various programs running in the background chewing up system resources, the R7 makes more sense than the i7, due to having double the cores to spread out the workload.

I kinda have to disagree with you, lemme explain :

Many people that looks at pure gaming performance will use their computer for gaming only. When you talk about using APPS in windows, or having some minimized apps (chrome or else ) while gaming, the 7700k is VERY capable of doing that, and there will be absolutely no lag at all.

So the gain you get in windows with the R7 is not noticeable if it doesn't involve extreme multi tasking or developping tools, rendering applications etc...

In other words, you will not notice a difference by using chrome youtube twitch minimized while you play BF1 with a 7700K.

So what are the gain from using the R7 if you don't use rendering application developping applications ???

Reference : 

I have a 6700K and my friend a R7 1700. My computer loads chrome or youtube or normal apps just as fast as my friend, we both can't tell which is faster, its not noticeable they are both loading apps almost instantly. Maybe if you have like 20 apps to load but its never the  case in normal life scenario.

I always game on BF1 while having 1 or 2 other game opened and minimized ( I have 32 GB of ram ) while I have browsers open and stuff and I never have any lag while switchin apps or playin games, my 6700k handle this without any issue at all, without any lag, so I'm not sure ryzen will have gains here.. I only see ryzen being better for developper

1 hour ago, smokefest said:

Many people that looks at pure gaming performance will use their computer for gaming only. When you talk about using APPS in windows, or having some minimized apps (chrome or else ) while gaming, the 7700k is VERY capable of doing that, and there will be absolutely no lag at all.

So the gain you get in windows with the R7 is not noticeable if it doesn't involve extreme multi tasking or developping tools, rendering applications etc...

In other words, you will not notice a difference by using chrome youtube twitch minimized while you play BF1 with a 7700K.

So what are the gain from using the R7 if you don't use rendering application developping applications ???

Reference : 

I have a 6700K and my friend a R7 1700. My computer loads chrome or youtube or normal apps just as fast as my friend, we both can't tell which is faster, its not noticeable they are both loading apps almost instantly. Maybe if you have like 20 apps to load but its never the  case in normal life scenario.

I always game on BF1 while having 1 or 2 other game opened and minimized ( I have 32 GB of ram ) while I have browsers open and stuff and I never have any lag while switchin apps or playin games, my 6700k handle this without any issue at all, without any lag, so I'm not sure ryzen will have gains here.. I only see ryzen being better for developper

Since you brought up BF1, we know that that 7700k is nearly maxed out in CPU usage by that game, while the 1800x has considerable overhead available.  You may argue that it doesn't make a difference to have other programs open in the background, I would make the claim that - while it may not necessarily make a difference - there's plenty of reasons to believe it can.  So I stand by my opinion.

R5 and R7 can actually run their stock coolers and not have their manufacturer tell customers to stop overclocking their unlocked chips.

/shots fired

because the 7700K is the worset £/performance cpu in history and the newer 6 core i5 will destroy it in games and cost way less :P 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

R5 and R7 can actually run their stock coolers and not have their manufacturer tell customers to stop overclocking their unlocked chips.

/shots fired

they can even oc on there stock coolers ttoo

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I was thinking of buying a ryzen CPU because of the chipset, Intel changes the chipset while AMD promised (?) to keep the AM4 until 2020 (?).

So I can keep my CPU for 3-4 years and when AM4 is getting discontinued I can just buy a new CPU without having to change MOBO + RAM,

1 hour ago, Noctuam said:

I was thinking of buying a ryzen CPU because of the chipset, Intel changes the chipset while AMD promised (?) to keep the AM4 until 2020 (?).

So I can keep my CPU for 3-4 years and when AM4 is getting discontinued I can just buy a new CPU without having to change MOBO + RAM,

If AMD holds true to form, AM4 Ryzens should work in AM4+, as well (whenever it finally arrives).

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

If AMD holds true to form, AM4 Ryzens should work in AM4+, as well (whenever it finally arrives).

Meaning I can later buy an AM4+ Mobo and keep my CPU to even later buy a new AM4+ cpu, witch sounds great.

Because you should get a r5,not a r7 or 7700k.

Except if you want high refresh rate gaming.

Else, just play at 1440p or 4k and be happy. It is easy to make the GPU the bottleneck if you are playing in high res.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

• 10 months later...
On 5/12/2017 at 11:00 AM, smokefest said:

Reference : 

People don't listen to this asshole hes just a Intel shill just folllows other tech tubers ASs