Amd TrueAudio Demonstration

Ultimate_PIMP

They are still advertising it as being on a new level of immersion. Which is a high standard. Whether or not they are an audio company is besides the point.

I am thoroughly amused that you expect AMD to put an add-on audio chip on a $170 GPU that potentially outperforms a $100 sound card from an audio based company. Lol.

Who knows? Maybe it's your output that sucks considering you went for a soundcard? (just kidding)

Wow, this is certanly better demo than doom 3 "full blown" one on their youtube page -_- 

I want to see more demos. Especially elevation and front-back, if they got it right that would be amazing.

I do notice a very sligth difference in how things which are behind you sound vs directly to the side. That said I doubt the difference will be as pronounced as it was here in actual games with some virtual surround sound system and already several people seem to have difficulty noticing the difference.

TBH what I was expecting was more with regards to sound waves bouncing off different materials causing realistic echoes, maybe we'll see that in a future demo.

I was unimpressed. I wonder how many people would be able to tell the difference if we did a blind test. Particularly with the sniper and other instances of actual gameplay events.

I am thoroughly amused that you expect AMD to put an add-on audio chip on a $200 GPU that potentially outperforms a $100 sound card from an audio based company. Lol.

Who knows? Maybe it's your output that sucks considering you went for a soundcard? (just kidding)

The only cards that have True Audio are the 290 and 290X. The 290 costs $400 with the 290X costing $550. They are making claims. You're assuming I expected greatness - it doesn't matter what I or anyone else expect. What matters is they live up to their claims. They claim a greater level of immersion - it's not there from the demo video.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The TrueAudio DSP in the new cards processes the physics of the in-game sounds so to speak, the audio signal itself will be carried out by your integrated motherboard audio solution or discrete sound card.

@Godlygamer23 The 3D audio processing for headphones that goes on in your sound card (or mine for that matter) is just an audio trick and doesn't actually give you a better positional audio cue, I've tested it in multiple shooters which I've been playing for years, including CoD 4 and in fact with the surround option in my Asus Xonar DX turned OFF I was able to much more easily tell where the shots were coming from.

So while surround sound tricks by the soundcard can and will significantly improve your movie watching experience they will never the less not work as well in games and you will have to trade your competitive edge for it.

It also distorts the audio so it's generally advisable to have it disabled when listening to music.

TrueAudio doesn't convert stereo to surround because the audio it processes has been designed from the ground up to be genuinely surround and implemented specifically to be accelerated on the DSP so you don't get the first issue, and it's not for music so you won't face the second issue either.

And this is what we get as a result of this so called "genuine surround sound"?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The only cards that have True Audio are the 290 and 290X. The 290 costs $400 with the 290X costing $550. They are making claims. You're assuming I expected greatness - it doesn't matter what I or anyone else expect. What matters is they live up to their claims. They claim a greater level of immersion - it's not there from the demo video.

The AMD R7 260X ($132) also has TrueAudio.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

The AMD R7 260X also has TrueAudio.

That is true. But that's a $140 to $150 card.

That is true. But that's a $140 to $150 card.

Nothing wrong with it costing 150 dollars, if anything it is more impressive on a card priced like that.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I hear a small difference, and it does sound better, but I don't think we'll be able to get the whole effect through YouTube.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Amd is sure expelling alot of effort to avoid just making a better desktop cpu. All this take about mantle, offloading cpu tasks to the video card, and true audio. I dont care about any of that bs. Get of you butt and make a processor to rival the 4770k... and in both integer and floating point.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I am pretty sure you could do this with just software and have it running just fine. I have a sound card so I won't be using this as it would drop in audio quality for me. How about AMD gets this tech into sound cards or make it so that sound cards can generate these TrueAudio sounds. 

Silly question but if TrueAudio is built into the GPU and say you are playing a game with it enabled...... would that make your soundcard pointless?

Edit: I wonder how long before Creative catch wind of this and sue them again

TrueAudio is NOT the same that as a sound card on the GPU.  You would still want a sound card with this solution.  Sound cards filter out noise, stabilize audio, and provide software that lets you change the way it sounds.  This technology is nothing like that, you could say it is similar to digital 7.1 or something, but even then, this is a HARDWARE solution that allows for better precision in the calculation of the 3D position of audio INGAME.

This is so pointless. We won't be able to hear any big difference unless we are playing the game with TrueAudio ourselves... 

I hear a small difference, and it does sound better, but my 5.1 Surround headset works a lot better.

True, I used standard headphones, and for the most part it sounds like a better reverb effect. Also with the arrow, the only difference I was a able to hear was slight positional differences (because the arrow being shot is a vector quantity, thus making it have a doppler effect) although the difference isn't that huge. we would have to wait for Genv2 or 3 plugins to take more advantage of the DSP in my opinion.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Amd is sure expelling alot of effort to avoid just making a better desktop cpu. All this take about mantle, offloading cpu tasks to the video card, and true audio. I dont care about any of that bs. Get of you butt and make a processor to rival the 4770k... and in both integer and floating point.

Isn't that what HSA is for?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I could hear a difference, but not mind blowing. This could be partly due to youtube being youtube or the bad headphones I use atm (Razer electras, oh how bad they are...), but I have some good headphones(ATH-AD700x) in the mail and with them I will listen to this again and see if it makes a big difference switching to better hadphones.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Isn't that what HSA is for?

HSA is using a gpu coprocessor if you will  to offload the workload that main processor should be able to handle but cant. So again, even in processors, amd's gpu's are the only thing keeping their cpu's afloat.

Even if that proves to work in their favor, even their apu was a year behind schedule and miss its performance targets by 20%. Why qualcom and samsung want to use GF instead of TSMC i'll never know.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

their stereo example is quite mono, they are using each channel, left and right, one at a time. any game audio or sound card uses both channels at the same time with different levels of volume for one or the other.  i find this demo quite fake and controlled. i don't see a discrete sound card gone any time soon, because i need clear and crisp music much more than game audio. when 5.1 surround came out or 5.1 headphones they promises us the same immersive experience and at the end 2.0 speakers or headphones with no virtual sound are still the best.

the man in black

TrueAudio is NOT the same that as a sound card on the GPU.  You would still want a sound card with this solution.  Sound cards filter out noise, stabilize audio, and provide software that lets you change the way it sounds.  This technology is nothing like that, you could say it is similar to digital 7.1 or something, but even then, this is a HARDWARE solution that allows for better precision in the calculation of the 3D position of audio INGAME.

Ok then is there no way AMD could let all the sound card manufacturers build in a chip that does the same thing. I don't want to buy an AMD card just to get more accurate sound. Nvidia should do the same. Make a GPU specifically for PhysX that will work with AMD GPU's. I really hate having a division in technology/software.  

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I feel like I already get positional audio as good as this in games that properly support it such as battlefield 4. I think they just made the stereo demonstration in this video shitty to emphasize any differences.   

I must say, I could hear a difference, but the true audio experience didn't strike me as better than the regular stereo experience. It's a cool feature and all, but at least to me, after watching/listening to that demo, it's not a feature that would sway my decision if I were in a situation where I had doubts...

This is the first implementation in a game, ever.

Weren't people wowed by it at the conference?

Weren't people wowed by it at the conference?

That's my point, the demo at the conference was designed, just like the one Nvidia used to showcase G-Sync.

Designed demos always show best-case scenarios.

The Lichdom demo was quite boring to be completely honest with you, a buzzing light sphere and a fireplace, no firefight, no explosions going off, nothing exciting.

I was really impressed with it, I really didn't expect much difference, but there it was. I could tell positions more accurate and there wasn't any -my X ear feel lonely- moment.

I know want it D: 

Ok then is there no way AMD could let all the sound card manufacturers build in a chip that does the same thing. I don't want to buy an AMD card just to get more accurate sound. Nvidia should do the same. Make a GPU specifically for PhysX that will work with AMD GPU's. I really hate having a division in technology/software.  

They could totally do that, and if they did, I would buy it and get a Maxwell GPU, but AMD know that the TrueAudio will be a major selling point.  The same with PhysX, Nvidia could make an card just for it, but then they undercut their own sales.