Amd TrueAudio Demonstration

Ultimate_PIMP

Amd posted a video today demonstrating what true audio will be like in future games.

The game used is Lichdom. You should watch the video wearing stereo headphones.

I think this is sweet, I definitely noticed a difference. 

It's nowhere as cool as G-sync or mantle, but its still pretty cool

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

This is pretty cool, i hope they make a sound card with it, I'd buy that.

Not bad, they managed to capture the 'sound behind your head' effect

I'm not really impressed.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Wow, wasn't really expecting to hear much of a difference but was surprised, it actually did make a bit of a difference. Would be cool to see this implemented in something like Counter Strike, where people could really take advantage of this.

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

im actually suprised it makes very noticeable difference using surround speakers and headphones

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It sounds no different than my virtual surround sound with my sound card(Sound Blaster Z).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

There is a difference but nothing Dolby Surround cant probably do.

The spark/fireplace was a nice difference but with the sniper, in both situations i couldnt tell exactly where he was, unlike the guy claimed with trueaudio ( listened with headphones ) 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

The spark/fireplace was a nice difference but with the sniper, in both situations i couldnt tell exactly where he was, unlike the guy claimed with trueaudio ( listened with headphones ) 

I had the same feeling, with the lightning spark & fireplace I could easily tell the difference, but I also could not pinpoint the sniper (with audio only)

Watched the youtube video with my Corsair Vengeance 2000

Silly question but if TrueAudio is built into the GPU and say you are playing a game with it enabled...... would that make your soundcard pointless?

Edit: I wonder how long before Creative catch wind of this and sue them again

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I'm not really impressed.

You don't really need to be impressed however if your not sold on the technology provided by AMD, you won't be feeling a satisfactory listening experience whilst visually gaming.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

That was quite a bit of diffrence and İ LİKE İT <3

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

You don't really need to be impressed however if your not sold on the technology provided by AMD, you won't be feeling a satisfactory listening experience whilst visually gaming.

If it shows a difference like they're claiming, I should hear it. While there is a difference between stereo and their TrueAudio demo, it's hardly revolutionary as it sounds exactly the same as Creative's implementation on their Sound Blaster cards. Which means they weren't able to create anything that offers a better experience than competitors.

At first I was like meh but it get's clear very quickly how awesome it sounds.

I'm not really an audiophile and I listened to that sound with Earpods but it gives you a great example of how accurate that can be. I had to smile constantly because it sounds very rich next to normal stereo. Can't wait to listen to that in a 5.1 environment

144Hz goodness

Wow!...I'm stunned...It's just..amazing..perhaps AMD should consider making their own sound card... :o

So wait, how exactly will this work?
Will we only be able to get this by using the HDMI and Display Port or will it work through our sound cards?

My Rig - Intel 4670K (4.3Ghz) Cooler Noctua NH-C14| Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H | 16GB GSkill 1866MHz | Gigabyte 7970 OC  | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Thermaltake Overseer RX-I  | Thermaltake TP Qfan 750w

Brothers rig- AMD FX-6100(4.1 GHz) | Gigabyte 990FXA -D3 | 8GB GSkill 1866MHz | Sapphire 7870 Ghz OC  | Kingston HyperX 3K 120Gb | Antec 900 v3  | Antec Neopower Blue 650w

I am pretty sure you could do this with just software and have it running just fine. I have a sound card so I won't be using this as it would drop in audio quality for me. How about AMD gets this tech into sound cards or make it so that sound cards can generate these TrueAudio sounds. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If it shows a difference like they're claiming, I should hear it. While there is a difference between stereo and their TrueAudio demo, it's hardly revolutionary as it sounds exactly the same as Creative's implementation on their Sound Blaster cards. Which means they weren't able to create anything that offers a better experience than competitors.

Well considering that this is an add-on feature and AMD isn't an audio company  :rolleyes:

I didn't have high hopes for TruAudio but this is a welcome addition for many i would say.

It's also youtube. They aren't exactly known for amazing audio fidelity.

The plug-in alone was very nice. I can only imagine what it would be like on my own computer with a finished product.

Didn't really notice the difference on the first particle thing maybe because it was moving too quickly but I definitely noticed with the fire.

Stereo you can feel is swapping between your ears whereas the trueaudio is a much smoother transition and just feels nicer.

Well considering that this is an add-on feature and AMD isn't an audio company  :rolleyes:

I didn't have high hopes for TruAudio but this is a welcome addition for many i would say.

They are still advertising it as being on a new level of immersion. Which is a high standard. Whether or not they are an audio company is besides the point.

So wait, how exactly will this work?

Will we only be able to get this by using the HDMI and Display Port or will it work through our sound cards?

The TrueAudio DSP in the new cards processes the physics of the in-game sounds so to speak, the audio signal itself will be carried out by your integrated motherboard audio solution or discrete sound card.

They are still advertising it as being on a new level of immersion. Which is a high standard. Whether or not they are an audio company is besides the point.

@Godlygamer23 The 3D audio processing for headphones that goes on in your sound card (or mine for that matter) is just an audio trick and doesn't actually give you a better positional audio cue, I've tested it in multiple shooters which I've been playing for years, including CoD 4 and in fact with the surround option in my Asus Xonar DX turned OFF I was able to much more easily tell where the shots were coming from.

So while surround sound tricks by the soundcard can and will significantly improve your movie watching experience they will never the less not work as well in games and you will have to trade your competitive edge for it.

It also distorts the audio so it's generally advisable to have it disabled when listening to music.

TrueAudio doesn't convert stereo to surround because the audio it processes has been designed from the ground up to be genuinely surround and implemented specifically to be accelerated on the DSP so you don't get the first issue, and it's not for music so you won't face the second issue either.

Silly question but if TrueAudio is built into the GPU and say you are playing a game with it enabled...... would that make your soundcard pointless?

Edit: I wonder how long before Creative catch wind of this and sue them again

Not necessarily,look above for a good summaryl.