Long lost Starcraft gold source code found, finder handsomely rewarded

Andreas Lilja
10 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Let's be honest, what evil can come out of Starcraft source code being published online, the game that they recently upgraded and released for free?

which is what I wrote right above that post

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

23 minutes ago, Sauron said:

which is what I wrote right above that post

I mean tjey've got nothing ot be afraid of even if it gets dumped online. Giving him gifts is one thing, but paying for Blizzcon expense is another. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

9 hours ago, Derangel said:

So you'd rather hold it for ransom and extort people? Says a lot about you as a person.

h34808619_zpsa9141d0f.jpg.c7ed7dfca51a2e67ecc8a4e813b66a22.jpg

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

41 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

h34808619_zpsa9141d0f.jpg.c7ed7dfca51a2e67ecc8a4e813b66a22.jpg

I may disagree with you but that picture made me chuckle so you get a thumbs up thingy.

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Um, that'd actually be a yes. I've still got the RW DVD which I was using as a rather expensive (but large) USB.

And these are the "source" files for that project or the end project itself? I for one know highly doubt I've got any of the source files for any of the films or Unity projects I made back in junior high. Maybe I've got them somewhere in a messy 'backup" folder on my server or something but I doubt I could find them.

That's nice. Also SC is free now and remaster will come soon :D 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Derangel said:

I may disagree with you but that picture made me chuckle so you get a thumbs up thingy.

Proving once again that there are no problems in society which cannot be solved by a meme. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, Raskolnikov said:

it forced Blizzard to start from scratch on its massively popular real-time strategy game.

What? They only had one copy?

On May 4, 2017 at 7:47 PM, aisle9 said:

Guess it depends on what's important to the guy. If he values the experience, then it's 100% worth it. Personally, I'd be looking at all the zeroes in Metzen's retirement package and ask for a few of those in exchange for the disc.

While it might be in bad taste to demand ransom for the source code I think this guy should've gotten a lot more of a reward.  

The first Starcraft is right up there with C&C as being two of the greatest (pretty sure among if not the first I think?) RTS games.  I'd go so far to say that Starcraft helped give us the genre as it is today.  

For finding the original source code for that epic game the finder deserves a lot more than a thank you and a few trinkets.    

One question that comes to mind: 

how does anyone know if this disc is the real deal?    Is there a way to verify the authenticity of the data?

Just happening to stumble across a disc saying it's the Starcraft source code is like finding a disc on the ground that says "important company secrets" while actually being a malware infected Trojan horse.  

Another thing: what makes this source code stuff so important?

I mean it's not like there aren't who knows how many retail copies of Starcraft in existence.  Myself owning one set from back in the day.  

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Another thing: what makes this source code stuff so important?

I mean it's not like there aren't who knows how many retail copies of Starcraft in existence.  Myself owning one set from back in the day.  

A couple possible reasons:

• A rival company getting their hands on the source code and "borrowing" chunks of it, or just reverse engineering the thing entirely
  • Cheaters using the code to develop flawless, unstoppable, untraceable exploits

There's more out there, those are just the two that jumped out right away. A game-breaking exploit in particular would be the end of Starcraft as a competitive game.

2 hours ago, aisle9 said:

A couple possible reasons:

• A rival company getting their hands on the source code and "borrowing" chunks of it, or just reverse engineering the thing entirely
  • Cheaters using the code to develop flawless, unstoppable, untraceable exploits

There's more out there, those are just the two that jumped out right away. A game-breaking exploit in particular would be the end of Starcraft as a competitive game.

Is SC1 still played competitively?

16 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is SC1 still played competitively?

it's still more popular than sc2 soooo.....

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>