LTX 2017 Meetup Announcement

2 hours ago, Mr. Swede said:

He looks at the "VIP experience" and think of what a old friend used to say, "Go big or go home". He Starts to look for flights Stockholm - Langley, what he finds is not what he wanted. There are no flights, no direct or with connections. He close down the ticket website and pretend like he thinks this whole event is stupid.

Stupid this is:/

Langley is a township in the Greater Vancouver area / Vancouver Metro - If you get a flight to Vancouver International (YVR), you can then get public transit to more or less anywhere in the area.

Langley Regional Airport (YLY) is exactly what it sounds like - A small regional airport that supports general aviation only, so you won't find any flights to or from there.

For those flying in,
It's good to know that flying in to Abbotsford International Airport and then getting transportation to Langley is much more sensible than transportation from Vancouver airport. However, most flights to Abbotsford will cost more than to Vancouver, even though it's less distance (assuming coming from east to west)

YVR (Vancouver) to Langley is 3 times farther (60km) than YXX (Abbotsford) to Langley (19km) and through MUCH heavier traffic.

As an example, a taxi from YVR to Langley events centre would be around $160CAD compared to $85CAD from YXX to Langley (-Ridebooker)

So, if you can find a flight from wherever you are to YXX (will almost certainly require connecting flights) for around the same price as to YVR, it makes more sense.

"If we can't laugh at the dead, we have no business killing people."

On 5/6/2017 at 4:16 PM, LAwLz said:

I hope they will livestream it.

I am pretty sure it will be the biggest cringe-fest since minecon 2013.

I wonder if they'll have a ballpit

120[1].jpg

My PC Setup:

Spoiler

The PC:

Case: Cougar Solution ATX Mid Tower

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620v3

Mobo: AsRock x99 Extreme4

RAM: 12GB (3x4GB) GeiL DDR4 2133MHz

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 580 4GB MSI Armor OC

PSU: EVGA 80+ 500w

Storage: Toshiba P300 1TB HDD + Hitachi HDS721016CLA382 160GB HDD (with the classic messy partition table)

Cooling: Zalman CNPS10X Extreme

Etc: LG Lite-On DVD+R Burner (i use optical media all the time for vintage computers, it's not dead yet! hell, floppy drive in here too but can't plug it into x99 :()

Outside the case:

Monitors (left to right):  Dell E176FP + Samsung Syncmaster 2253BW + AOC G2260VWQ6 Freesync

Keyboard: Lexmark (IBM) Model M-122

Mouse: Logitech G402

Headset: Samson SR850

DAC: Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini

Mic: Realistic Cardioid 33-992a

Main Laptop: 2009 Macbook (Recycling Haul)
Streaming Laptop: 2013 Samsung Series 7 Ultra 740U

Question for Potter (or any LMG staff):

I'd love to come, but I'll be flying back to work on the 29th; if I were to buy the VIP experience, would I be able to have a true "VIP" experience a few days early? Or am I just throwing a monkey wrench into the works?

I realize you'll not be able to give me the full VIP deal, but still, meeting you all would be a dream... if not, always next year.

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

On 5/4/2017 at 0:55 PM, CPotter said:

Essentially. This is our first crack at a small convention.

@CPotter do you guys also have to buy tickets? 

On 5/5/2017 at 9:53 PM, Greenbeard said:

@nicklmg It would be totally cool if you added a calendar event for LTX 2017 to your official calendar :D. I'm not sure if I can go, but if I can make it I am definitely gonna go. Hope it will be a great event.

I think that would be great :) though I'm not sure who handles the official calendar... @Slick @colonel_mortis

On 5/5/2017 at 10:39 PM, syloui said:

thinking about driving cross country to go to this and see the sights in the same trip. probably cost less than a round trip plane ticket would be for me, but i'm doing the calculations now. hooray 36 hour drive! (i'm totally willing)

Sounds like an awesome adventure :D 

On 5/6/2017 at 1:16 PM, LAwLz said:

I hope they will livestream it.

I am pretty sure it will be the biggest cringe-fest since minecon 2013.

We won't be livestreaming the whole thing, though there should be some kind of stage setup where we'll have streams at least a couple times throughout the day.

And that's very sweet of you not to give the LTT Meetup of 2015 the "biggest cringefest of the last 5 years" title :) 

(EDIT: In case there's any confusion, by this I didn't mean to imply that the meetup of 2015 WAS the biggest cringefest of the last 5 years, just trying to be funny :) )

21 hours ago, SaTaNsRoBoThO said:

For those flying in,
It's good to know that flying in to Abbotsford International Airport and then getting transportation to Langley is much more sensible than transportation from Vancouver airport. However, most flights to Abbotsford will cost more than to Vancouver, even though it's less distance (assuming coming from east to west)

YVR (Vancouver) to Langley is 3 times farther (60km) than YXX (Abbotsford) to Langley (19km) and through MUCH heavier traffic.

As an example, a taxi from YVR to Langley events centre would be around $160CAD compared to $85CAD from YXX to Langley (-Ridebooker)

So, if you can find a flight from wherever you are to YXX (will almost certainly require connecting flights) for around the same price as to YVR, it makes more sense.

Good advice, though it should also be said that actually getting from Abbotsford to Surrey is more difficult than getting from Vancouver to Surrey unless you're planning on cabbing the whole way (which does get incredibly expensive around here... Uber somehow isn't available yet in Vancouver so cab companies still gouge everyone).

The transit system out here is total trash, but between Vancouver and Surrey it's actually slightly workable. Once you get past Langley... it's, quite frankly, unusable in most cases.

13 hours ago, syloui said:

I wonder if they'll have a ballpit

120[1].jpg

You can bet your ass that I'm pushing for a ballpit internally, probably labeled with warning signs for what might lie within O.o

6 hours ago, PiGHamM3R said:

Question for Potter (or any LMG staff):

I'd love to come, but I'll be flying back to work on the 29th; if I were to buy the VIP experience, would I be able to have a true "VIP" experience a few days early? Or am I just throwing a monkey wrench into the works?

I realize you'll not be able to give me the full VIP deal, but still, meeting you all would be a dream... if not, always next year.

I believe the VIP experience is all sold out, and unfortunately we're not able to make accommodations outside of the proposed time :( hope to see you there!

5 hours ago, sharpshoter said:

@CPotter do you guys also have to buy tickets?

No... we will be working at the event, so we do not have to buy tickets lol...

That's what I get for not visiting LTT for a couple days.  Missed out on VIP.  Maybe next time.

48 minutes ago, Ganabei said:

That's what I get for not visiting LTT for a couple days.  Missed out on VIP.  Maybe next time.

Hope we'll still see you there!!

Is there gonna be LTX 2018? My family has a very busy summer and we'd love to come, but unfortunately we can't make it.

5 hours ago, nicklmg said:

Good advice, though it should also be said that actually getting from Abbotsford to Surrey is more difficult than getting from Vancouver to Surrey unless you're planning on cabbing the whole way (which does get incredibly expensive around here... Uber somehow isn't available yet in Vancouver so cab companies still gouge everyone).

The transit system out here is total trash, but between Vancouver and Surrey it's actually slightly workable. Once you get past Langley... it's, quite frankly, unusable in most cases.

Hey Nick, Ya I should have mentioned the public transit from Abbotsford to Langley is a bit spotty. But there is airport shuttles from YXX to Langley, by Greyhound and others.

If anyone does decide it's financially sensible to fly into Abbotsford and wants to avoid the relative chaos and expense of getting from Vancouver airport to the L.E.C. I would consider picking them up at Abbotsford Airport, for a small fee, much less than a cab would be, to cover my gas (which as you know is not cheap here.)

For those this interests, Vancouver city council banned Uber and such ride-share apps from operating in the greater Vancouver area at the behest of the taxi industry lobby. I have seen a lot of public pressure lately for them to reverse that decision. The mayor has commented on it so it so they feel the pressure as well and it will very likely happen although certainly not in time for LTX2017.

TL;DR: I can possibly be your cheap cab from Abbotsford airport to the event. PM me if interested

If there was an airport in chilliwack (not sure if there's even a small commuter port there) there IS a bus that goes from chilliwack right to 202st bus loop, pretty much a 20 to 30 minute walk to the events center give or take, and obviously there are cabs there too.

42 minutes ago, InuYasha86000 said:

If there was an airport in chilliwack (not sure if there's even a small commuter port there) there IS a bus that goes from chilliwack right to 202st bus loop, pretty much a 20 to 30 minute walk to the events center give or take, and obviously there are cabs there too.

Holy crap Nick is right, the service out here is a joke.
I looked it up;

B.C. Transit shows a bus from Abbotsford airport to Aldergrove (route #21).
Then you switch busses to Langley bus loop(#501). Then get on a bus that goes to L.E.C. (#503).
They say the travel time is anywhere from 1h 44min to 2h 27min (!) depending on time of day.
They say the Express (only runs at rush hour) still takes 1h 45min and it goes directly down the #1, not the back route through Aldergrove..
That seems crazy to me. How is that possible?  I can't let anyone do that :P

To Nick's point, they say it's about the same travel time from Vancouver airport, despite it being 3 times farther away, due to the majority being on the Skytrain.

Alternatively, Valley Airport shuttle LTD. says the cost of their shuttle from YXX to places like Surrey/Langley to as far away as Mission and Chilliwack is $8-40 so I would assume Langley would be somewhere in the middle like $20.
I'd pick people up and drop them at L.E.C for less than that though.

Would totally go but, you know, living in Sydney, having no job kinda doesn't help...Maybe i'll have to start a gofundme or something :D

1 hour ago, SaTaNsRoBoThO said:

I'd pick people up and drop them at L.E.C for less than that though.

If my 1986 pontiac station wagon was insured i'd play mini bus, that thing has the 3rd row seat in the back, hehe, ghetto limo.

13 hours ago, SaTaNsRoBoThO said:

Holy crap Nick is right, the service out here is a joke.
I looked it up;

B.C. Transit shows a bus from Abbotsford airport to Aldergrove (route #21).
Then you switch busses to Langley bus loop(#501). Then get on a bus that goes to L.E.C. (#503).
They say the travel time is anywhere from 1h 44min to 2h 27min (!) depending on time of day.
They say the Express (only runs at rush hour) still takes 1h 45min and it goes directly down the #1, not the back route through Aldergrove..
That seems crazy to me. How is that possible?  I can't let anyone do that :P

Yeah dawg. Also have to keep in mind that buses in Langley/Aldergrove/Abbotsford only run probably 3-4 times a day, so if you miss ANY of those connecting stops due to traffic or anything you're probably stuck waiting for an hour or more. It's heinous, but I personally know literally zero people in Langley/Aldergrove/Abbotsford who even attempt to use the bus so... it makes sense from a use perspective.

-----Found transport and a place to stay-----

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Hmmmm would be about $600 for me to fly from DC to Vancouver. I am seriously considering this for the summer. Any hotel recommendations?

On 5/5/2017 at 4:03 PM, porina said:

I doubt it'll make any difference. No matter where you pick, it'll be far from a lot of people. You just get different people complaining about distance.

As an example, let's say they decided to do it just over the border in Seattle. Is that going to make a material difference for anyone? Unless you already live near there, there's going to be little difference between getting to Seattle or Vancouver.

Actually, since I don't have a Passport, it would make it much easier to attend.

Actually, since I don't have a Passport, it would make it much easier to attend.

I don't know what it would be like for you, but getting a passport in itself shouldn't be a significant barrier to travel. There is a one time cost for one, but then you have the world slightly more open to you.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

23 hours ago, porina said:

I don't know what it would be like for you, but getting a passport in itself shouldn't be a significant barrier to travel. There is a one time cost for one, but then you have the world slightly more open to you.

My passport was like $200 bucks rushed; still took 3 weeks to get.

Lunix Is An Illegal Hacker Operating System

| [CPU] Intel i7 5960X (4.5GHz) | [Mobo] ASUS Rampage V E10 | [RAM] G. Skill Ripjaws 4 64GB (8x8GB) | [CPU Cooler] Custom Acrylic | [OS Drive] Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD | [Storage] WD Black 4TB (x2 RAID 0) | [GPU] ASUS GTX 980 (x2 stock) | [PSU] Corsair AX1200i | [Case] Corsair 900D | [Keyboard] Corsair K95 Platinum | [Mouse] Corsair Dark Core RGB | [speakers] Logitech Z906 | [Monitors] ASUS VS278Q-P (x3 27"s) |

17 minutes ago, PiGHamM3R said:

My passport was like $200 bucks rushed; still took 3 weeks to get.

How much would it have been not rushed? Was it a first one or a renewal, as I think costs may be less for the latter. At least here, it means you don't have to go through all the security checks again.

Again I don't know how the systems works worldwide, but here adult ones are valid for 10 years. Unless you're not going to leave your own country in that much time, the cost wouldn't all be for just one trip.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible