Bitcoin has passed $500 - currently sits at $530

TopWargamer

hmmmm, the link takes me to this

hp_merchant.jpg?1

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

This is plain stupid. I hope the price crashes to nothing or action is taken to control this mess... Heck maybe even governments recognise it as an official currency and start taxing it like they should have done months ago.

It's like a regular stock, why is it bad that it went up?

If only I could bring a 600Ghs ASIC Miner + software and mine in the past.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

God dammit, got to get my miners up FAST

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Kept telling myself this would end. Don't mine its stupid.

Now look

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

$400 just a few days ago... Could have made some easy money..

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

People learn nothing. Always chasing printed paper & plastic and stamped coins. If real currency has little value in its un-traded form than doesn't it stand to reason that cryptocurrency is much more precarious. There is a lot to consider before investing in mtgoxUSD. Its a fad for the world exchange, its something new and that many believe will become a mainstream currency to trade in. It doesn't have any backing though, its not pegged to the USD, so right there it has an inherent vulnerability. Also there is potential for a devaluation of the cryptocurrency due to the fact that its rapid rise has led to in influx of people buying shares. Yes, this is good in the short term, but the markets have always been an exclusive place and like anything that is increased, its value becomes less. Its like someone making a one of a kind Ferrari, worth millions. Make that same Ferrari 10,000 times, it begins to lose its exclusive market share and thus its value. 

I don't think you understand how Bitcoins are setup to work.

You can't print more of them. You can only cut them into smaller pieces. There is a finite number of them. A limit to how many can exist at any one point in time. 

Edit

I feel the need to clarify this. 

Bitcoins are generated at a certain rate based on the algorithm they use. Once that algorithm is "complete", that will be the end of it. No more BTC will be generated, ever. That time is around 21 years from now, but my point is there is a limit to how many there can be. 

I think the total maximum BTC is between 21 million and 35 million. Though I forget and that could be inaccurate. 

And, if your wallet's number is lost, the BTC in it is effectively burned. It is gone. No one will ever get to retrieve it unless they magically find out your number which is obscenely long. So BTC can be burned just like normal money can. However, it cannot be printed like normal money can. 

So, eventually, if BTC is still here 21 years from now, we will be trading BTC in the 0.0001BTC range more than likely. Because 1 BTC will be incredibly valuable that we will have to cut it down to smaller sizes to allow meaningful trade. 

That's why BTC can be cut down to 0.00000001BTC or so.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Ah ok, that's an interesting take. Will be interesting to see how this plays out, because after all it still isn't a real currency.

Well.... The people define it as a real currency. 

cur·ren·cy
ˈkərənsē,ˈkə-rənsē/
noun

1. 1.
    a system of money in general use in a particular country.
    "the dollar was a strong currency"
    synonyms: moneylegal tendercash, banknotes, bills, notes, coins, coinagespecieMore

2. 2.
    the fact or quality of being generally accepted or in use.
    "the term gained currency during the second half of the 20th century"
    synonyms: prevalencecirculationexposureMore

... It fits option 2 pretty well, and if we consider "The Internet" a country... Well yeah. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This is plain stupid. I hope the price crashes to nothing or action is taken to control this mess... Heck maybe even governments recognise it as an official currency and start taxing it like they should have done months ago.

How is this stupid? Please tell me the negative effects of this. I would love to hear them.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Price just smacked $545.17

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

How is this stupid? Please tell me the negative effects of this. I would love to hear them.

Some lucky bastards are making a shit ton of money and I'm not.

I sold mine wayyyyyy to early.

I had 100. Sold them waaayyyyyyyyyyyyy to early. Oh well! ^^ 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Bitcoins just surged past 700 today O_O

CPU \\ i7-3770K@4.6GHz Motherboard \\ MSI MPower Z77 RAM \\ 16GB 1886 Patriot Viper 3 GPU \\ EVGA GTX 670 SC+ 4GB CASE \\ Corsair 600T SE White Storage \\ Western Digital Black 2TB PSU \\ Seasonic SS-760XP2 Cooling \\ H100i + 3 Swiftech Helix 120s 

Well, with any investment, you are taking the money that you gain out of somebody else's pockets meaning that if you loose, which if you buy whilst Bitcoin is at its high you will. Then someone else will be gaining that exact money. I wouldn't invest in Bitcoin. Its not safe enough.

Compatible with Windows 95

this is the reason bitcoins boosted today even faster http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/18/5119062/senate-committee-hearing-on-bitcoin

live value feed http://bitcoinity.org/markets/mtgox/USD

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here