Best silent 140 fans

M4lolli

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for very good silent fan but that has also good airflow.

My case is a F31 suppressor, with the NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Fan Controller.  I've removed all drive cages so there are no obstacle in the case with good cable management.

Was thinking about 3 fan intakes(2 in the front and 1 in the bottom) and 3 outtake(1 in the back and 2 in the top((probably these 2 are not neccessary cuz i'll get a AIO cooler))).

Is better get a only one 200mm for the front or better 2x140mm?

I found the noctua NF-a14, corsair 140 SP or AF(which One Is better?), Riing 14. What about corsair ml? Any other? And which One is better?

Ty everyone

I know noctua fans are considered among the best fans, and they're pretty quiet as well, but I don't know if they are quieter than the other ones.

I personally like the look of 2 smaller fans than one bigger one (I don't know why). I feel like 2 fans would give better airflow than 1 big one, if only because the total surface area is greater and thus more air is circulated. But I don't know so take somebody else's word for it, preferably somebody who definitely knows what they're talking about.

Only other advice I can give is to try to set up slightly positive pressure in your case (slightly more air coming out than going in) so maybe do 3 outakes and 2 intakes or something like that. 3 and 3 would probably be fine too.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

12 minutes ago, Macimoar said:

I know noctua fans are considered among the best fans, and they're pretty quiet as well, but I don't know if they are quieter than the other ones.

I personally like the look of 2 smaller fans than one bigger one (I don't know why). I feel like 2 fans would give better airflow than 1 big one, if only because the total surface area is greater and thus more air is circulated. But I don't know so take somebody else's word for it, preferably somebody who definitely knows what they're talking about.

Only other advice I can give is to try to set up slightly positive pressure in your case (slightly more air coming out than going in) so maybe do 3 outakes and 2 intakes or something like that. 3 and 3 would probably be fine too.

THX, i'll wait for more advice. Btw i think positive pressure should be the opposite (more coming in than going out). 

2 minutes ago, M4lolli said:

THX, i'll wait for more advice. Btw i think positive pressure should be the opposite (more coming in than going out). 

You're right, I misspoke, positive is going in.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

to help you understand corsair letters

SP = Static Pressure

AF = Air Flow

Ive had 2 of both (best that was available at the Frys near me)

For case fans i would go with the Corsair AF's or HD's If you want RGB (cheaper than Ring 14's last i looked).........Noctua's are over kill if you as me

For CPU Air Cooler replacements Noctua

For Radiator's I would us Corsair SP or Noctua's

If i could afford to replace every fan in my system with Noctua Industrial PPC-3000 PWM, I would. It would be over kill, but i would love it. 750-3000 rpm :) And when it gets dusty just turn all the fans to 100% problem fixed!

8 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

to help you understand corsair letters

SP = Static Pressure

AF = Air Flow

Ive had 2 of both (best that was available at the Frys near me)

For case fans i would go with the Corsair AF's or HD's If you want RGB (cheaper than Ring 14's last i looked).........Noctua's are over kill if you as me

For CPU Air Cooler replacements Noctua

For Radiator's I would us Corsair SP or Noctua's

If i could afford to replace every fan in my system with Noctua Industrial PPC-3000 PWM, I would. It would be over kill, but i would love it. 750-3000 rpm :) And when it gets dusty just turn all the fans to 100% problem fixed!

????

I know about sp and AF difference. But i saw linun's video about fans, and It says that sp are much better than af even in airflow. I was going to get the 2000 noctua's(with the fan controller they should run at 800rpm at min), but leds are getting in the way and they are pretty cool. Are corsair's HD loud?

EDIT: HD are TOO EXPENSIVE :(

yeah all the really good RGB fans are Expensive AF. We will have to wait for the next gimmick to come by before they drop in price. What is really left to stick on a fan though, Bluetooth? I bet they do it!

What about bè quite? Or fractal design?

I'm also looking for 140mm fans (for me its for a RAD fan though)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 hours ago, M4lolli said:

I'm looking for very good silent fan but that has also good airflow.

12 hours ago, Macimoar said:

30 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'm also looking for 140mm fans (for me its for a RAD fan though)

Currently in my system I have 2 AIO's (1 on CPU and another on my EVGA Hybrid) and I have 3 120mm noctua NF-F12's hooked up to the radiators. To give you a comparison to how quiet these fans are, I can hear my pumps clearly over the fans even at 40-50%, and sometimes even my hard drives. I know you are looking for 140's but I can't imagine they're going to be much louder. 

Even the black fans are pretty ugly out of the box, but you can take off the brown anti-vibration mounts for them, or you could pick up some white ones for $6 on amazon like I did if you have a white/black build or would just prefer them over the brown.

Hope this helps.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

4 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Currently in my system I have 2 AIO's (1 on CPU and another on my EVGA Hybrid) and I have 3 120mm noctua NF-F12's hooked up to the radiators. To give you a comparison to how quiet these fans are, I can hear my pumps clearly over the fans even at 40-50%, and sometimes even my hard drives. I know you are looking for 140's but I can't imagine they're going to be much louder. 

Even the black fans are pretty ugly out of the box, but you can take off the brown anti-vibration mounts for them, or you could pick up some white ones for $6 on amazon like I did if you have a white/black build or would just prefer them over the brown.

Hope this helps.

I just bought Fractal Design's Venturi 140mm PWM fan so we will see how that does for me

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 hours ago, M4lolli said:

????

I know about sp and AF difference. But i saw linun's video about fans, and It says that sp are much better than af even in airflow. I was going to get the 2000 noctua's(with the fan controller they should run at 800rpm at min), but leds are getting in the way and they are pretty cool. Are corsair's HD loud?

EDIT: HD are TOO EXPENSIVE :(

All fans have some degree of static pressure and airflow. Optimizing for one will often sacrifice performance in the other. Whether a fan is labelled 'static pressure' or 'airflow' is also relative to other fans available. There's no hard and fast rule. The best fan will usually be the one that provides as much airflow as possible and has enough static pressure for where it's being used.

Your NZXT Sentry Mix 2 controls fan via DC and shouldn't be used with 4pin pwm fans. It may work but it isn't optimal and isn't how 4pin pwm fans are meant to be used. You should be powering 4pin pwm fans from a 4pin header with pwm. The cpu_fan header with a hub or splitter is usually best. If you want to stick with your current fan controller, use 3pin fans instead.

iPPC's aren't worth getting if you don't need the extra robustness. Normal NF-A14's would be better and are among the best of the best. 

If you're looking at BeQuiet!, SW3's are as good as NF-A14's and perform a bit better for the noise if you want to run high rpm.

Riings, Corsair HD's, and SP140's are alright. AF140's and Venturis are good. Corsair ML's aren't that quiet. 

There aren't any great 200mm's.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

All fans have some degree of static pressure and airflow. Optimizing for one will often sacrifice performance in the other. Whether a fan is labelled 'static pressure' or 'airflow' is also relative to other fans available. There's no hard and fast rule. The best fan will usually be the one that provides as much airflow as possible and has enough static pressure for where it's being used.

Your NZXT Sentry Mix 2 controls fan via DC and shouldn't be used with 4pin pwm fans. It may work but it isn't optimal and isn't how 4pin pwm fans are meant to be used. You should be powering 4pin pwm fans from a 4pin header with pwm. The cpu_fan header with a hub or splitter is usually best. If you want to stick with your current fan controller, use 3pin fans instead.

iPPC's aren't worth getting if you don't need the extra robustness. Normal NF-A14's would be better and are among the best of the best. 

If you're looking at BeQuiet!, SW3's are as good as NF-A14's and perform a bit better for the noise if you want to run high rpm.

Riings, Corsair HD's, and SP140's are alright. AF140's and Venturis are good. Corsair ML's aren't that quiet. 

There aren't any great 200mm's.

So many information! THX. Noctua's Black are nice, the old brownie is ugly af. Probably going for bequiet and getting some led strips for the case. Ty!!

Me, personally, i would go with some corsair quiet edition fans, i have them and they are lower than 25db so it is EXTREMELY quiet and also cheap,

Have fun!

On 4/24/2017 at 0:45 PM, M4lolli said:

So many information! THX. Noctua's Black are nice, the old brownie is ugly af. Probably going for bequiet and getting some led strips for the case. Ty!!

20 hours ago, ZenoMachine said:

Me, personally, i would go with some corsair quiet edition fans, i have them and they are lower than 25db so it is EXTREMELY quiet and also cheap,

Have fun!

Update: Installed the Fractal Desing Venturi fan. I had to lean itn to make sure this thing was on because it is QUIET. I'm not sure what RPM its running at, but it should have been the same as the old fan since I haven't adjusted anything and the difference is night and day especially since my PC sits two feet away from me. Now all I hear is the HDD's, the slow whoosh from three 200mm fans @ 600rpm and occasionally the pump