Best OS for linux beginner

Go to solution Solved by Misanthrope,

I say the easiest to jump into is actually Linux Mint actually. Anything Debian based is made to be fairly user friendly this way but Mint also has the more windows like interface in both Cinammon and Mate and also the most users out there.

hello,, 

i want to learn Hacking Test And Penetration But First My Aim is to learn linux commands i know half of them but i need to learn more and get enough knowledge so any advice for easy OS to start with i also heard about debian or ubuntu and , Fedora

I say the easiest to jump into is actually Linux Mint actually. Anything Debian based is made to be fairly user friendly this way but Mint also has the more windows like interface in both Cinammon and Mate and also the most users out there.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 minutes ago, Abdullatif said:

hello,, 

i want to learn Hacking Test And Penetration But First My Aim is to learn linux commands i know half of them but i need to learn more and get enough knowledge so any advice for easy OS to start with i also heard about debian or ubuntu and , Fedora

i learn through ubuntu

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

If you want to do penetration testing, then I feel like Kali is the easiest place the start. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

42 minutes ago, Abdullatif said:

hello,, 

31 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

If you want to do penetration testing, then I feel like Kali is the easiest place the start. 

I also agree. I have a install ready on a USB, getting in at all the Wi-Fi hotspots I can!

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

that what i'm planning to do but what i heard someone said to me if you are a begnner never go to kali or parrot learn first then go for it :D

2 hours ago, Factory OC said:

I also agree. I have a install ready on a USB, getting in at all the Wi-Fi hotspots I can!

On an unrelated topic, YOUR SIGNATURE HAS THE QUOTE TOO :P hahaha that's funny. 

i think i will go and install

Linux Mint

as i searched and people have told me it really beginner friendly and easy to use

:D

3 hours ago, Abdullatif said:

i think i will go and install

Linux Mint

as i searched and people have told me it really beginner friendly and easy to use

:D

It has a layout like Windows, plus Cinnamon looks like a modern Windows XP remake. Hope you enjoy it!

3 hours ago, fpo said:

On an unrelated topic, YOUR SIGNATURE HAS THE QUOTE TOO :P hahaha that's funny. 

I had to quote my own mistakes:P

I personally reccomend Ubuntu because most people use it, but Linux Mint is also a very easy OS to learn to use.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

43 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

I personally reccomend Ubuntu because most people use it, but Linux Mint is also a very easy OS to learn to use.

yea i personally want to try out "Mint" and if i didn't get used to it i will go for ubuntu :)

Mint and Ubuntu are ok for beginners but you won't learn much (which is what you said you wanted to do). You won't know how your X server started, what :0 is, what is polkitd, how to set a global umask, how Ubuntu uses SELinux or how come hackers can't just upload a trojan on the Ubuntu server and make you install malware when you do apt-get upgrade. Basically you won't understand how your OS works under the hood. So it will be almost impossible to leap into pentesting since pentesting requires in-depth understanding of wtf goes on in an OS.

Even if you install Mint at least use a virtual machine and break Arch or Gentoo until you understand what you are doing. You'll feel much more 1337, learn FAST and start with the right foot.

13 hours ago, slicknux said:

Mint and Ubuntu are ok for beginners but you won't learn much (which is what you said you wanted to do). You won't know how your X server started, what :0 is, what is polkitd, how to set a global umask, how Ubuntu uses SELinux or how come hackers can't just upload a trojan on the Ubuntu server and make you install malware when you do apt-get upgrade. Basically you won't understand how your OS works under the hood. So it will be almost impossible to leap into pentesting since pentesting requires in-depth understanding of wtf goes on in an OS.

Even if you install Mint at least use a virtual machine and break Arch or Gentoo until you understand what you are doing. You'll feel much more 1337, learn FAST and start with the right foot.

It is true what you say :)

But from the OPs question, I deduce it might be a bit over his(/her) head to install Arch or Gentoo (if it wasn't, he probably wouldn't be asking this kind of question). However, only the OP can evaluate / know, how steep a learning curve they can handle, and how well they can handle and understand the documentation and resources available (online and other places).

Also, I see no reason why one could not dwell deeper into Mint, Ubuntu or any Linux distribution. It just is not mandatory to do that to get the system running.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:59 PM, djdwosk97 said:

this is completely the wrong way to learn pen testing. You'll learn nothing on how to find things that a tool simply won't. Anyone get use say sqlmap and type in 

sqlmap.py -u "url here" --dbs

go get into a college or online course.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 22.4.2017 at 1:47 PM, Abdullatif said:

any advice for easy OS to start with

Windows is rather easy.

Write in C.