144hz footage

Mohenjo

So i need some 144hz footage (preferably game play). Is there any way to get that? And will windows standard video player be able to play that if the monitor is 144hz? 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

9 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

So i need some 144hz footage (preferably game play). Is there any way to get that? And will windows standard video player be able to play that if the monitor is 144hz? 

Wut?? Do you mean you need 144 fps video? I don't think that exists. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, bgibbz said:

You can't record 144hz gameplay? Not even with a capture card?

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

You can't record 144hz gameplay? Not even with a capture card?

And today you two might learn that the frame rate of a video can be anything you want. Anything. Those super slow mo videos? Those aren't running at 30 fps.

maxresdefault.jpg

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

And today you two might learn that the frame rate of a video can be anything you want. Anything. Those super slow mo videos? Those aren't running at 30 fps.

I know there is 144hz video... My question is how do you achieve it.

2 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

I know there is 144hz video... My question is how do you achieve it.

By literally any recording program that allows 144Hz frame rates...

2 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

By literally any recording program that allows 144Hz frame rates...

Huh, didn't think it was that simple.

1 minute ago, Orangeator said:

Huh, didn't think it was that simple.

OBS classic goes up to 120 fps, probably wouldn't be hard for the developers to allow 144. Same could be said for Studio. It literally is that simple.

Load a video in a software like Virtualdub, then go in the Video > Framerate menu and change to 120fps or 144 fps and recompress the video.

Here's a couple of videos I made with the test cube feature in Virtualdub

120fps.mkv

144fps.mkv

i need it to show people 144hz demos. i dont have a 144hz monitor but if its possible to record it then transfer it then there should be some footage out there? I remember seeing 120hz gameplay of bf3 before. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

also i forgot to mention that 60 hz to 144hz comparison would be good. 

2 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

-snip-

Are you asking for a way to show the benefits of 144hz vs 60hz? If so, you can't do so on a 60hz screen. You HAVE To have a 144hz screen for 144hz gaming to be displayed properly. Trying to show 144hz on a 60hz panel would result in it showing footage in slow-motion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just now, NLR said:

Are you asking for a way to show the benefits of 144hz vs 60hz? If so, you can't do so on a 60hz screen. You HAVE To have a 144hz screen for 144hz gaming to be displayed properly. Trying to show 144hz on a 60hz panel would result in it showing footage in slow-motion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i am aware of that. i have access to several 144hz screens. i just need footage on a USB for work to show customers what 144hz looks like. 

1 minute ago, Mohenjo said:

i am aware of that. i have access to several 144hz screens. i just need footage on a USB for work to show customers what 144hz looks like. 

My apologies, I must have misunderstood what you were asking.

What you're asking for is how to get 144hz footage onto a USB device right? All you have to do is set the FPS the software records at at 144hz. Then, depending on the software, you should be able to move that footage onto a USB device unedited. Again, in order to show 144hz footage, you'll have to have a 144hz panel to use in order to display it properly.

If this didn't help you, please clarify your question.

1 minute ago, NLR said:

My apologies, I must have misunderstood what you were asking.

What you're asking for is how to get 144hz footage onto a USB device right? All you have to do is set the FPS the software records at at 144hz. Then, depending on the software, you should be able to move that footage onto a USB device unedited. Again, in order to show 144hz footage, you'll have to have a 144hz panel to use in order to display it properly.

If this didn't help you, please clarify your question.

no that helped, ive just never set up demos before and i cant really get 144hz in games other then csgo, overwatch and minecraft. 

Just now, Mohenjo said:

no that helped, ive just never set up demos before and i cant really get 144hz in games other then csgo, overwatch and minecraft. 

Who are your customers? Are you trying to sell 144hz panels in a store type environment? Or are you trying to show the advantages to friends? Depending on your answer, I may be able to help you further.

Just now, NLR said:

Who are your customers? Are you trying to sell 144hz panels in a store type environment? Or are you trying to show the advantages to friends? Depending on your answer, I may be able to help you further.

sell 144hz panels to customers. essentially explain the benefits of 144hz. ive also had a few customers get upset that we dont have anything to demo 144hz. But the issue is sometimes the computers connected to the monitors are not capable of playing any game at 144hz, just displaying it. 

The best you could explain them would be to have a 60fps recording of some football game and a 24fps recording of the same stuff... they'd see the blurring of the football and the motion of the players on the grass and how the 60 fps version is smoother.

Or maybe show that movie Peter Jackson recorded at 48fps (The Hobbit) by placing a small bit of it (maybe the trailer) and then compare it with a sequence from The Hobbit DVD which would probably be at 24fps or ("upscaled") to 60fps for compatibility reasons (because DVDs have no concept of 48fps

A game that may show high fps benefits more easily would be the old Quake 3 arena game.. play some maps in multiplayer with some friends and show how at 144 fps it's easier for players to aim the railgun and hit enemies easier, while at 60fps it's trickier.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

The best you could explain them would be to have a 60fps recording of some football game and a 24fps recording of the same stuff... they'd see the blurring of the football and the motion of the players on the grass and how the 60 fps version is smoother.

Or maybe show that movie Peter Jackson recorded at 48fps (The Hobbit) by placing a small bit of it (maybe the trailer) and then compare it with a sequence from The Hobbit DVD which would probably be at 24fps or ("upscaled") to 60fps for compatibility reasons (because DVDs have no concept of 48fps

A game that may show high fps benefits more easily would be the old Quake 3 arena game.. play some maps in multiplayer with some friends and show how at 144 fps it's easier for players to aim the railgun and hit enemies easier, while at 60fps it's trickier.

hmm actually getting a mobil copy of quake 3 might not be a bad idea. 

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

see i know about this but i dont have an internet connection on the computers lol. that and its not good enough to show a customer who may know next to nothing. 

27 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

On the contrary, those are almost always running at 30 fps (or 24-25 fps). the difference is they're CAPTURED at a rate like 20 000 fps then played back at a significantly slower framerate so that they appear to be massively slow. if you captured a clip at 20 000 fps then somehow played it back at 20 000 fps, it would play back at normal speeds.

as far as if its possible to playback content at 144fps? Absolutely. You're not going to be doing it on something like youtube, but with the right software it should be a very easy thing to achieve.

sell 144hz panels to customers. essentially explain the benefits of 144hz. ive also had a few customers get upset that we dont have anything to demo 144hz. But the issue is sometimes the computers connected to the monitors are not capable of playing any game at 144hz, just displaying it. 

set up one rig connected to two monitors displaying the same image and the same game (you really don't need a powerful rig to fuel 144hz in the right games). set it to some relateable shooter like CS:GO or Overwatch (turn down the settings if you're having a hard time reaching 144hz) and have it vs bots or something. have one panel as a 60hz and one as a 144hz. have them sitting side by side. people can walk up, move around, shoot some derpy AI's, And very easily feel the difference in the two monitors.

Its all well and good to be able to observe the fluidity difference between 60hz and 144hz on a video (or 24fps vs 48 fps), but even that won't translate well the responsiveness advantage you gain by such a massively increased framerate. You need an interactive example for someone to really FEEL the difference between the two panels rather than just looking at smoother images.

see i know about this but i dont have an internet connection on the computers lol. that and its not good enough to show a customer who may know next to nothing. 

Well, I can't advise you there. You could show 24hz to 30hz to 60hz recorded footage, and then 144hz footage all on the same screen. That was how my friend got me to buy a 144hz 1080p monitor 2 years ago.

Just get a recording software that you can change FPS of the recording, and record a benchmark or two to show the difference refresh rates make to gameplay smoothness.

2 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

If they know next to nothing, why do they need a 144hz monitor? And If your computer can output at 144hz, you could bring it to work, set up a recording software that supports that fps, then plug it in to a 144hz screen and record some gameplay, then put it on a usb stick and copy it to the other computers and set up your demo. Or just have one computer as your demo computer that can output 144hz, and install Minecraft or CS:GO, or something like that. Then let your customers play it*, so they can see for themselves how smooth it is. 

*I'm assuming peeps who want a 144hz monitor are gamers. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch