What's a day in the life of your job like?

Hi everyone,

I'm a self employed computer consultant but I'm thinking of taking on full time work with a company. This question is geared towards systems administrators and network engineers. I'd like to buff up on any knowledge gaps by asking what a day in the life of your particular job is like.

What technologies does your company implement? What MaaS, IaaS, PaaS, and SaaS platforms do you use? How many servers do you manage? Do you employ a lot of virtualization? What ticketing systems do you use? Does your job expect you to be cross trained in programming, web development, and database management? 

Walking me through a day in your job would be cool. As I make money as a self employed contractor, I still do a lot of self study and it would be nice to bone up before possibly shooting for an interview. I also scan through job requirements on job listings but it would be nice to hear some word of mouth. 

Thanks. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Well I wake up around 9 o'clock in my dumbste..I mean bed. And uh, after a couple of cockrabam bigettes, I usually put on my fresh old pants.

The geek himself.

I'm up at 6:30 am, at my desk (self-employed contractor, design/IT) by about 8:30. I'll spend and hour or so sorting emails, doing any account stuff that's needed and generally planning out the day. From then, I'll get into whatever project is the highest priority at the time, usually being interrupted by emails/calls all day. Some days I'll spend several hours out meeting clients either at their offices or cafes, or I'll meet with clients further afield over Skype.

Towards the end of the day I'll clear out the emails by 4, then record hours and materials as needed and note anything upcoming for the following days.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

I'm up at 6:30 am, at my desk (self-employed contractor, design/IT) by about 8:30. I'll spend and hour or so sorting emails, doing any account stuff that's needed and generally planning out the day. From then, I'll get into whatever project is the highest priority at the time, usually being interrupted by emails/calls all day. Some days I'll spend several hours out meeting clients either at their offices or cafes, or I'll meet with clients further afield over Skype.

Towards the end of the day I'll clear out the emails by 4, then record hours and materials as needed and note anything upcoming for the following days.

What IT related projects do you do? When you say design, do you mean web design, graphic design, both?

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

I'm a veterinarian for small and large animals. I wake up 5AM in bed and make sure that my tent is unpitched and that the morning wood has been chopped. I leave my wife to go to the hospital around 8AM. I make sure that all of the animals that I have under my care are doing alright and that they have responded well to their treatment (food and supplements mostly since I practice holistic and western in my practice). After that, I get my papers in order, make a few calls to the clients that their treatments plans are ready, and collect the day's files and what items I'll need in case something goes wrong. I head over to the farmers or housecalls around 11AM and meet with people at their homes rather than at the clinic since some animals spook easily which it may be my muscular physique (just kidding) but is most likely the unknown that bothers them which is why I encourage owners to walk around the clinic under supervision with their dog so that they, the dogs, can acclimate themselves before any exams take place.

My rounds end around 3PM when I head back to the clinic to start my in-house exams and lab work such as MICROSCOPY!, SNAP 4DXs, and INSERT DROP OF BLOOD INTO IDEXX MACHINE for CBC/chemisty or whatever it is that I need. I'm also rather fond of tending to my samples of fungi and bacteria which look like their going to kill us all, now that I think of it... Anyways, that's pretty much my day. 

TL:DR I do things that you would never want to see. Like how to castrate a bull! [shivers]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I'm a veterinarian for small and large animals. I wake up 5AM in bed and make sure that my tent is unpitched and that the morning wood has been chopped. I leave my wife to go to the hospital around 8AM. I make sure that all of the animals that I have under my care are doing alright and that they have responded well to their treatment (food and supplements mostly since I practice holistic and western in my practice). After that, I get my papers in order, make a few calls to the clients that their treatments plans are ready, and collect the day's files and what items I'll need in case something goes wrong. I head over to the farmers or housecalls around 11AM and meet with people at their homes rather than at the clinic since some animals spook easily which it may be my muscular physique (just kidding) but is most likely the unknown that bothers them which is why I encourage owners to walk around the clinic under supervision with their dog so that they, the dogs, can acclimate themselves before any exams take place.

My rounds end around 3PM when I head back to the clinic to start my in-house exams and lab work such as MICROSCOPY!, SNAP 4DXs, and INSERT DROP OF BLOOD INTO IDEXX MACHINE for CBC/chemisty or whatever it is that I need. I'm also rather fond of tending to my samples of fungi and bacteria which look like their going to kill us all, now that I think of it... Anyways, that's pretty much my day. 

TL:DR I do things that you would never want to see. Like how to castrate a bull! [shivers]

What kind of systems and software do you use in your practice?

10 minutes ago, berderder said:

What IT related projects do you do? When you say design, do you mean web design, graphic design, both?

I do basically whatever people ask for, for the design (my main work) I'll do graphic design, I've done some web work but that's less common these days, I do anything from a single brochure right up to a full brand identity + online presence. I'm in talks with a company atm to take over some of their social media stuff too. 

For IT work, I'll sometimes come out and help companies spec out PC's, organise their storage layout and basic stuff like that. It doesn't come up often, but they pay fairly well.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

3 minutes ago, berderder said:

What kind of systems and software do you use in your practice?

We use AviMark. We're currently testing out IDEXX's solutions for the veterinary practice, but they say the turnover time is 6-8 months until everyone is competent. I'm liking it since I can access the software from the server over my phone, laptop, or home computer. It also allows easy syncing of data to a hot-swap SSD that one of the receptionists prepare in the morning with all of the files I'll need for the mobile truck. 

I also build most of the PCs in the hospital as they are needed since I hate how those Dells (the new Inspiron 3647s) look, feel, and sound. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

We use AviMark. We're currently testing out IDEXX's solutions for the veterinary practice, but they say the turnover time is 6-8 months until everyone is competent. I'm liking it since I can access the software from the server over my phone, laptop, or home computer. It also allows easy syncing of data to a hot-swap SSD that one of the receptionists prepare in the morning with all of the files I'll need for the mobile truck. 

I helped design a vet office's network. He has mobile trucks connected over VPN to a terminal server with something called Impromed (some sort of vet CRM). He also used Diagnostic Atlas I think it's called and something called E-Pet. I didn't mess much with the software since I turned over the job to another technician after the design was done. 

7 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

I do basically whatever people ask for, for the design (my main work) I'll do graphic design, I've done some web work but that's less common these days, I do anything from a single brochure right up to a full brand identity + online presence. I'm in talks with a company atm to take over some of their social media stuff too. 

For IT work, I'll sometimes come out and help companies spec out PC's, organise their storage layout and basic stuff like that. It doesn't come up often, but they pay fairly well.

What did the storage layout for you entail?

I'm still in school, but i have my own small business similar to the geek squad and fix people's computers and stuff. 

linus sex tips

1 minute ago, wii8cookies said:

I'm still in school, but i have my own small business similar to the geek squad and fix people's computers and stuff. 

Break/fix can be a good place to start but I find it a pain going from job to job often travelling to people's locations for jobs that may only take a couple of hours. You can charge a fair wage but sometimes it comes few and far between. My bread and butter is more being the IT professional that a small business relies on because they may call me up 10 hours a month. Get yourself a book of 10-20 clients and you may have yourself 30-40 hours of work a week. I recommend trying to get an in with small businesses

I work at the CPD (I.T. department) at the town hall, which is just 5 minutes walk away from my house.

I wake up at 7am, shower up, eat some shit (generally a big sandwich and a boiled egg), browse the web, dress some random clothes and go to work.

While at work, i pretty much live discussing audio stuff on Audiokarma or computer stuff over here and at Level1Forums as well, browse stuff to buy, read news from websites, get car drunk on Speedhunters and Petrolicious posts, until somebody calls me on the phone (some Drake stile hotline action right here, yo), then i get off my chair and go help them with whatever the issues they are having.

Pretty good job, pays very well (3x more than my last job, not counting the extras!), i have a very funny and very smart colleague (he'll be helping me with my pfSense box build!), very laid back stuff.

That said, i would prefer to be in the field, fixing tractors, plowing soil, anything that is rugged and defies me, this sort of job, man's stuff. 

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

9 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

I work at the CPD (I.T. department) at the town hall, which is just 5 minutes walk away from my house.

I wake up at 7am, shower up, eat some shit (generally a big sandwich and a boiled egg), browse the web, dress some random clothes and go to work.

While at work, i pretty much live discussing audio stuff on Audiokarma or computer stuff over here and at Level1Forums as well, browse stuff to buy, read news from websites, get car drunk on Speedhunters and Petrolicious posts, until somebody calls me on the phone (some Drake stile hotline action right here, yo), then i get off my chair and go help them with whatever the issues they are having.

Pretty good job, pays very well (3x more than my last job, not counting the extras!), i have a very funny and very smart colleague (he'll be helping me with my pfSense box build!), very laid back stuff.

That said, i would prefer to be in the field, fixing tractors, plowing soil, anything that is rugged and defies me, this sort of job, man's stuff. 

I do get the sense that some IT jobs are pretty laid back and quiet sometimes, haha. But hey, sounds good. What are some typical IT problems that come up?

edit nvm I see you are lookin for tech related stuff lol.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

1 minute ago, berderder said:

I do get the sense that some IT jobs are pretty laid back and quiet sometimes, haha. But hey, sounds good. What are some typical IT problems that come up?

Don't get me wrong, it is really good! I really like it, but lets say that i don't feel challenged, but that's not really important.

The more commons problems that come up are generally RAM and PSU failure, general interface bugs with the filling software that they use (E-cidade by DbSeller) and some general user induced errors, pretty common stuff.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 minute ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Don't get me wrong, it is really good! I really like it, but lets say that i don't feel challenged, but that's not really important.

The more commons problems that come up are generally RAM and PSU failure, general interface bugs with the filling software that they use (E-cidade by DbSeller) and some general user induced errors, pretty common stuff.

Yeah, that's my problem right now too. I don't really feel challenged. I would take on a job if it taught me a lot and was kind of tough (and had an appropriate salary would be nice). 

1 hour ago, berderder said:

Yeah, that's my problem right now too. I don't really feel challenged. I would take on a job if it taught me a lot and was kind of tough (and had an appropriate salary would be nice). 

That's exactly how i feel! But like i said, i really cannot complain about my job, it is a great job and i'm learning a lot from it, mainly in the networking department. Add the fact that i was unemployed for almost a full year and nobody was hiring, this was the first upportunity and i went for it, anf i`m glad i did! Maybe in the future i'll work with something that will test me harder, something i could really show my skills.

Well I work on the road with my dad and we both have the same sense of humor.  Let's just say I have a vinyl hose cut to length and call it my "fart sniffing tube".

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission