Ryzen 5 is it worth it?

Should I upgrade to Ryzen 5 or should I wait for the price of the i5 to go down and then buy the i5?

9 minutes ago, JorelCedrick said:

Should I upgrade to Ryzen 5 or should I wait for the price of the i5 to go down and then buy the i5?

Well, I just went into the future, so I obviously can answer all your questions easily...

Oh wait, Ryzen 5 isn't out yet :P

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

wait for benchmarks

This

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

There's one thing i'm beginning to understand as I get older in the IT world - there's no such thing as "wait till the price goes down". 

I don't mean that the price won't go down - but that waiting does very rarely make sense. 

Take this with some grains of salt - but i'd just get whatever I can with the money I have - or so do with the maximum money I can spend a bit later on something.

It's very rare that a competing product is launched in the same price range and blows the competitor away.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

Just freakin wait

Behold the power of Chuck Norris the forbidden one.

Wait for benchmarks, it's just impossible to tell atm.

Also even if we did have results now they would likely be invalid soon.

There are still things being optimized and tweaked.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

28 minutes ago, JorelCedrick said:

wait for it to be out xD

Without my crystal ball, all I can say is that the i5 will probably be better IF you're not streaming.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

There are simulated benchmarks out there that involve disabling two cores on the R7's because AMD confirmed they use the same physical chip, but as others have said there may be additional optimization/slight differences between the R7's and R5's when they release.

You can look at the simulations by LTT and Hardware Unboxed, to name a few, to get an idea of where they may stand and then you can conclude if they meet your needs for the price.

But, and this is a very, very big "but," those are only estimations of what Ryzen 5 really is. They are to be taken with a grain of salt because they are almost certainly inaccurate in one way or another.

Until the R5 series releases, that's the best answer you're gunna get because we really don't know for sure. The chips just aren't out there yet.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060

RAM: 16GB @3200 MHz

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 8700K @4.9 GHz/1.315v

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

7 hours ago, JorelCedrick said:

The best thing I can say to you is to wait for benchmarks which is what a lot of people have said already. If this CPU still boasts as 'good for streaming and gaming' and you do this then it is definitely worth upgrading. But if you are just gaming and don't intend on streaming and stuff like that then an i5 will be fine for what you do.

Hope this helps.