MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

I think @GoodBytesis talking about after that.

In other words, it says that its disabled, but its actually not.

Right, just read the GPO again and yea Security is the lowest possible. That must have been what Microsoft allowed a while back since even for Enterprise etc Basic was originally the lowest possible. I heard at the time that it was the ability to completely disable it, seems those articles were wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 4:10 AM, leadeater said:

Right, just read the GPO again and yea Security is the lowest possible. That must have been what Microsoft allowed a while back since even for Enterprise etc Basic was originally the lowest possible. I heard at the time that it was the ability to completely disable it, seems those articles were wrong.

Has anyone with a Ryzen or Kabylake  cpu had win 7 updates blocked at this point?

If so any work around out there?

Going to Ryzen 5 and I really don't want to run windows 10.

Not enough games have ported to linux for me to make the jump.

IMO if MIcrosoft does not want another XP situation, then disable the telemetry, spot spying on people OR make a legit optout feature that actually allows the user to optout of sending anything to MS.and I'm sure a vast majority of windows 7 user would upgrade to windows 10 willingly.

People pay for the OS its not free.  Free stuff I expect adds and bloatware. If I pay for something though thats a whole other issue.  Make is 100% with no restrictions, Tell people 100% of what you collect and let them decide. If the product is good enough and you strike the right balance people will switch. Right now MS is just doing this all wrong. Now that we actually have a better idea of what they consider to the Basic information its even scarier.

17 minutes ago, kalnick said:

Has anyone with a Ryzen or Kabylake  cpu had win 7 updates blocked at this point?

If so any work around out there?

Going to Ryzen 5 and I really don't want to run windows 10.

Not enough games have ported to linux for me to make the jump.

this is not speculation

one workaround I can think of is to update using WSUS offline: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Welp. While not ideal, I guess people now need to get familiar with hypervisors now. At least that is how my university computer network deals with it.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

I don't use Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 on any machine, so why should I care?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

7 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

I don't use Windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 on any machine, so why should I care?

why don't you quote the person that said you should care?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I don't know why this is surprising to anyone. Microsoft has been doing this for years now. Back in 2006 I had just bought a brand new Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 only to find out that Microsoft had decided to stop support for Win 98 and was shoving Win XP down my throat! 

51 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this is not speculation

one workaround I can think of is to update using WSUS offline: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

I have heard of this work around.

I was just wondering if anyone running windows 7 on a kabylake or ryzen cpu can confirm that they have tried and succeeded to work around it.

Just now, kalnick said:

I have heard of this work around.

I was just wondering if anyone running windows 7 on a kabylake or ryzen cpu can confirm that they have tried and succeeded to work around it.

you can test it, you'll only lose time and gain xperience

37 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Welp. While not ideal, I guess people now need to get familiar with hypervisors now. At least that is how my university computer network deals with it.

I guess I should go google it and become familier with hypervisors

39 minutes ago, zMeul said:

you can test it, you'll only lose time and gain xperience

I have not bought my R5 yet. today is the thought that I may have to use windows 10 without choice or option

Honestly Windows 10 is scarry invasive and as someone who enjoys their privacy it is a big issue for me personally,  The even scarier part is I'm willing to bet not even Microsoft knows everything Windows 10 is grabbing despite what the most recent creators update notes say.

Just curious all you American Microsoft Supporters did you vote Trump?

You did didn't you...

2 minutes ago, kalnick said:

Just curious all you American Microsoft did you vote Trump?

You did didn't you...

not US citizen

no, I would not've voted for that shitdead ;)

On 3/19/2017 at 1:13 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Then why does every win7 key work for me on win10?

The free WIndows 7/pirated windows 7 upgrade is no longer available.

However if you have a valid WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 Key you can still activate your copy of Windows 10.

So if you have a pirated copy of Wndows 7 you can no longer upgrade to windows 10 for free.

I you actually bought your WIndows 7, 8, 8.1 your key is still good for WIndows 10 upgrade or fresh install

If your oem computer (Dell, Acer, Asus, etc..) came with WIndows 8, 8.1 you can upgrade or install a fresh copy of windows 10 and it will activate using the OEM key in your UEFI bios.

28 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not US citizen

no, I would not've voted for that shitdead ;)

I realized I was missing a word in there lol

the mind works faster then the fingers so words get skipped lol

On 3/15/2017 at 11:46 PM, imreloadin said:

Microsoft will do anything to get people to update to Windows 10, this is just as expected.

This actually was expected.  We knew MS would be limiting update support for 7/8 on newer hardware some time ago.  Why is anyone acting surprised over this?

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

This actually was expected.  We knew MS would be limiting update support for 7/8 on newer hardware some time ago.  Why is anyone acting surprised over this?

What was known was that Ryzen and Kaby Lake processors would only be supported on Windows 10.

We did not know that Microsoft would go out of their way to actively block updates, which I don't think they have ever done before in this way.

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

What was known was that Ryzen and Kaby Lake processors would only be supported on Windows 10.

We did not know that Microsoft would go out of their way to actively block updates, which I don't think they have ever done before in this way.

I can't recall the source now (I'll have to see if I can find it), but I recall reading months ago that MS would be explicitly limiting updates for 7/8/8.1, not just support.  I'm more surprised that anyone else is surprised by this.

7 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I can't recall the source now (I'll have to see if I can find it), but I recall reading months ago that MS would be explicitly limiting updates for 7/8/8.1, not just support.  I'm more surprised that anyone else is surprised by this.

Yeah, gonna need a source on that because I can't find a source on that.

I don't see why people wouldn't be surprised, unless they assumed that Microsoft was a horrible and evil company that would deliberately cripple their own consumers. But maybe that's what we should expect from now on.

Are you sure you didn't just misinterpret the old info we had and it just happened that it was correct? That's what it seems like to me, because I can't find any indication that Microsoft would do this, nor did I hear anything about it.

If you go back in the older threads about Ryzen and Kaby Lake only being supported on Windows 10, you will see a lot of users talk about how it would still be possible to install it just fine. We also started getting YouTube videos of people installing Windows 7 on systems with those processors and it worked just fine.

I don't see why people wouldn't be surprised by this, since Microsoft has never done it before and it seems like we can't find any source that indicates they would do it.

Edit: This thread is a month old by the way, so please keep that in mind.

On 16-3-2017 at 5:20 AM, zMeul said:

source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

windows-logo-2013.png

this is seriously fucked up!

MS is now actively blocking updates when it detects:

• Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors or later
  • AMD “Bristol Ridge” or later
  • Qualcomm “8996" or later

MS doing everything in their bag of shitty tricks to stop people from using W7/8/8.1

I can't say I blame MS for this decision. Don't get me wrong but they have a clear vision with Win 10. They want only 1 version of Windows instead of having to provide support to Windows XP/vista/7/8/8.1, a situation that is expensive for them.

Don't get me wrong, but I'm more concerned with smartphone manufacturers who sometimes don't even provide (security) updates for phones that are older than 1.5 years.

Granted, a computer in general stays longer with you than a smartphone and this is a bit scummy by Microsoft, but I do understand them.

You're not expecting Apple to provide support a two version old iOS build on their newest iPhone.

2 hours ago, HarmFull said:

I can't say I blame MS for this decision. Don't get me wrong but they have a clear vision with Win 10. They want only 1 version of Windows instead of having to provide support to Windows XP/vista/7/8/8.1, a situation that is expensive for them.

Has nothing to do with the cost of supporting other Windows OSes (Microsoft is locked into supporting earlier Windows OSes for the remainder of their life-cycles regardless of how many people use them), but has everything to do with wanting to exploit Windows 10 users for data-collection, which is then sold for profit.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Has nothing to do with the cost of supporting other Windows OSes (Microsoft is locked into supporting earlier Windows OSes for the remainder of their life-cycles regardless of how many people use them), but has everything to do with wanting to exploit Windows 10 users for data-collection, which is then sold for profit.

Yes... the amount of money Microsoft will make selling valuable data like: 20% of users goes through all menu options to find option X, we need to improve things. Or heatmap data of a built-in program or software crash dump. It will print the company millions! (aside from Cortana and Edge)

I heard that "File Cabinet & Co, Ltd - We make file cabinets!(TM) The file cabinet brand you can trust!(TM)(R)(C)", buys a lot of this data from Microsoft. Plans to release a file cabinet for gamers, where it features RGB lighting. Leak marketing material has statements such as "0.01% of gamers is having difficulty finding where their game screen shots are. With the new file cabinet, you can print your game screen shots and store them in this lovely new RGB File cabinet! Using per drawer RGB light-night color, you can easily find your screen shots.. no more fiddling with complex computers virtual folders to find that dark screen shot."

Wow... Thats quite concerning to know what ms knows you do in your pc till that extent...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yeah, gonna need a source on that because I can't find a source on that.

I don't see why people wouldn't be surprised, unless they assumed that Microsoft was a horrible and evil company that would deliberately cripple their own consumers. But maybe that's what we should expect from now on.

Are you sure you didn't just misinterpret the old info we had and it just happened that it was correct? That's what it seems like to me, because I can't find any indication that Microsoft would do this, nor did I hear anything about it.

If you go back in the older threads about Ryzen and Kaby Lake only being supported on Windows 10, you will see a lot of users talk about how it would still be possible to install it just fine. We also started getting YouTube videos of people installing Windows 7 on systems with those processors and it worked just fine.

I don't see why people wouldn't be surprised by this, since Microsoft has never done it before and it seems like we can't find any source that indicates they would do it.

Edit: This thread is a month old by the way, so please keep that in mind.

Here's three from January that I found in just a random search on Google.  I wasn't here months ago, so I know it wasn't on this site.  I'm talking about info from other sites.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10780876/microsoft-windows-support-policy-new-processors-skylake

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-to-end-support-for-windows-7-and-8-on-new-pc-hardware/

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3023533/microsoft-windows/microsoft-support-windows-10-new-hardware-itbwcw.html

25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Shit you're right. It seems like that went under my radar.

It looks like microsoft has really fucked things up with this forced locking out of updates for certain processors as at least two people on the overclockers UK forum have reported getting the unsupported hardware message on older processors on both intel and AMD sides.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/windows-7-pro-x64-unsupported-hardware.18776139/

There's the link to all the MS stupidity.