MicroSoft is actively blocking W7/8/8.1 Windows Updates on KabyLake and Ryzen systems

Just now, vorticalbox said:

it's not supported but to remove all updates for software and hardware that are supported is outright wrong to do.

But the hardware isn't supported and that's the point. 

Also I'd argue that you can block updates for something that isn't supported (and thus isn't validated).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But the hardware isn't supported and that's the point. 

Also I'd argue that you can block updates for something that isn't supported (and thus isn't validated).

Except you know the fact that Windows 8.1 is still in mainstream support. Kaby and Ryzen aren't these new magical processors that cant support security patches and virus definition updates. It's bs.

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900X – Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro Wifi  – RAM: 4 x 16 GB G. Skill Trident Z @ 3200mhz- GPU: ASUS  Strix Geforce GTX 1080ti– Case: Phankteks Enthoo Pro M – Storage: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo, 1TB Intel 800p, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB & WD Blue 1 TB PSU: EVGA 1000P2– Display(s): ASUS PB238Q, AOC 4k, Korean 1440p 144hz Monitor - Cooling: NH-U12S, 2 gentle typhoons and 3 noiseblocker eloops – Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB Mouse: G502 Rgb & G Pro Wireless– Sound: Logitech z623 & AKG K240

30 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

Not support is not the same as "blocking every single update", not releasing patches for problems sure, it's not supported but to remove all updates for software and hardware that are supported is outright wrong to do.

Read the previous 3 or 4 pages, as it happens yes it is the same thing. They're removing updates because its an unsupported configuration and updates are a part of Microsoft support.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Sry of someone already mentioned this.... would windows offline update work? a small program that downloads and install MS updates for you without the wuapp.exe?

If MS did this for a reason and you force update onto it i can see it just bricking the system. But if they did this to just mess with us, then I can see a way around this using 3rd party update installers.

14 hours ago, Whispre said:

Been hearing people say that for 20 years... when exactly do they plan to finish this "catching up" process??

Once Windows starts stagnating, which it is doing right now :P

Don't forget that both os's are still evolving, at least until W10 came along...

I think we have reached a point where windows does enough for the average user and gamer there's not much to add. So now it's up to Linux and the distributions of it to get to the same point of evolvement and matureness. Honestly it's all down to how idiot-proof the OS is, if you need the CLI from time to time, it's not good enough yet.

Not that there is anything wrong with the CLI, it's just not user-friendly and it requires knowledge to use while with a good GUI the icons are usually enough.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

22 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Once Windows starts stagnating, which it is doing right now :P

Don't forget that both os's are still evolving, at least until W10 came along...

I think we have reached a point where windows does enough for the average user and gamer there's not much to add. So now it's up to Linux and the distributions of it to get to the same point of evolvement and matureness. Honestly it's all down to how idiot-proof the OS is, if you need the CLI from time to time, it's not good enough yet.

Not that there is anything wrong with the CLI, it's just not user-friendly and it requires knowledge to use while with a good GUI the icons are usually enough.

If you use an Nvidia graphics card and use Steam, then you don't need to use the CLI in Mint and Ubuntu. However if your using an AMD GPU your fucked as AMD went full retard and got rid of the proprietary drivers (which Steam requires you to have if you don't want to mess around with Terminal-which is a big deal for both my 2010 notebook and 2013 laptop). As for basic tasks, between VLC, Libre office and Chrome/Chromium/Firefox everything is doable (don't forget the Software Centre as well for other apps).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, vorticalbox said:

but we weren't warned, kaby lake has been out for a while and was still getting updates, ryzen has been in the news for months and Microsoft said nothing. Then one day they decide to block updates for both. 

they sure has hell didn't warn anyone. 

They wanted to implement this with Skylake and told people about it then. Nobody listened and most were surprised by this.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

Why does the thumbnail say "BUSTED" when in fact he's confirming that your news was true? o.O

#clickbait

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What makes you think an R5 will be treated any differently?

They did say from the beginning that KL wouldn't be supported and then everyone was surprised to see it getting updates.

that was for W7, not for W8

and not supported doesn't mean the whole OS will just stop getting updates

2 hours ago, ZackBarletto said:

Sry of someone already mentioned this.... would windows offline update work?

most likely, yes it would work since offline updaters use MS update catalog and not Windows Update service

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

most likely, yes it would work since offline updaters use MS update catalog and not Windows Update service

Now I wonder if Microsoft doesn't let you just because.

or would this offline method brick the system xD.

When I get my system (no time soon) Ill give this a try and see what happens.

2 minutes ago, ZackBarletto said:

Now I wonder if Microsoft doesn't let you just because.

or would this offline method brick the system xD.

When I get my system (no time soon) Ill give this a try and see what happens.

WSUS offline should work: http://download.wsusoffline.net/

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

If you use an Nvidia graphics card and use Steam, then you don't need to use the CLI in Mint and Ubuntu. However if your using an AMD GPU your fucked as AMD went full retard and got rid of the proprietary drivers (which Steam requires you to have if you don't want to mess around with Terminal-which is a big deal for both my 2010 notebook and 2013 laptop). As for basic tasks, between VLC, Libre office and Chrome/Chromium/Firefox everything is doable (don't forget the Software Centre as well for other apps).

Huh?

Since when?

I have an AMD GPU (480) and don't have to deal with the CLI at all....

Also, Steam couldn't care less if you have proprietary drivers or not.

The AMDGPU drivers work just fine...

Honestly i haven't used linux for gaming so i have no idea tbh :/

Also unless the majority of future games is using vulkan i'm not sure linux will be good for gamers soon.

Anyway, i am optimistic for vulkan tho, it just looks like a better option than DX12. With DX12 you would limit yourselves to a stupid small amount of gamers while with vulkan you have basically everyone. And you keep the hardcore linux fans happy :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

that was for W7, not for W8

and not supported doesn't mean the whole OS will just stop getting updates

Kaby Lake was only supposed to be supported on W10 (so no, it was not supposed to be supported on either W7 or W8).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3112663/software/microsoft-made-em-do-it-the-latest-kaby-lake-zen-chips-will-support-only-windows-10.html

And I would disagree. If you told me that Kaby Lake isn't going to be supported, then I would take that to mean that I shouldn't expect any updates/fixes/etc... 

Oh, and since this is basically a revival of the Skylake W10-only news, here: 

After the 18-month support timeframe ends on July 17, 2017, only the “most critical” Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 security updates will be addressed for those PCs, and “will be released if the update does not risk the reliability or compatibility of the Windows 7/8.1 platform on other devices,” Microsoft said in a blog post. Windows 7 remains on extended support until Jan. 14, 2020, and Windows 8.1 until Jan. 10, 2023.   

To me, that means that Skylake wouldn't receive any updates (after July 2017) unless there was a critical bug (something on the scale of Heartbleed).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3023113/windows/microsoft-gives-enterprises-18-months-to-upgrade-to-windows-10.html

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

52 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And I would disagree. If you told me that Kaby Lake isn't going to be supported, then I would take that to mean that I shouldn't expect any updates/fixes/etc... 

when did it ever "not supported" meant not getting updates?!

it means that the user has to deal with issues that might spawn

and the fucked up thing is for the W8.1 owners who still are in the mainstream support window till' 2018 - I will bet you there will be a lot of people with FPP licences of W8(.1) with old AMD CPUs that have/will upgrade to Zen; these people have been fucked over by MS

24 minutes ago, zMeul said:

when did it ever "not supported" meant not getting updates?!

it means that the user has to deal with issues that might spawn

and the fucked up thing is for the W8.1 owners who still are in the mainstream support window till' 2018 - I will bet you there will be a lot of people with FPP licences of W8(.1) with old AMD CPUs that have/will upgrade to Zen; these people have been fucked over by MS

Since forever, end of support for a Microsoft product has always meant that updates would cease. Why would unsupported be any different?

Those people agreed to run their operating system within Microsoft's licensing terms and conditions.

Licenses are non transferrable ergo people upgrading to Zen need to buy a new license.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 3/16/2017 at 2:54 AM, Pohernori said:

Source says they're disabling all updates for Win 7 or 8 with newer gen chips. Many of these updates have no relation towards hardware. 

Most likely scenario is someone with a skylake cpu on win 7 will get those important security updates. The ones with kabylake will not.

This raises an interesting option for intel users who may have upgraded from sky-lake to kaby-lake for what ever reason, or users with multiple computers ect.. Depending on how often you dust your computer for one example you could swap out cpus do updates and swap back. You could do updates quarterly as well swap then.

Not an option for AMD users but its one possible work around for intel.

Unless they also target the new 200 series chip sets a cpu swap should work, on the 100 series chip set board users are good to go.

I was looking forward to upgrading to a ryzen cpu from my 975BE. I guess now I need to look at intel. I really did want to Run Windows 7 on it.

I wonder if this will impact Ryzen future sales.

I think one interesting thing that was pointed out in the video linked a while back is that they've basically turned their back on Windows 8.1 which people bought under the assumption of being able to get support for X years.  It's not unlike the VW diesel issue imo.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, MoraisGT said:

Huh?

Since when?

I have an AMD GPU (480) and don't have to deal with the CLI at all....

Also, Steam couldn't care less if you have proprietary drivers or not.

The AMDGPU drivers work just fine...

That's because its the RX 480 and is pretty much the only one supported. Even the R9 300 series has problems.

PMSL

Food for thought:

PMSL

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Licenses are non transferrable ergo people upgrading to Zen need to buy a new license.

OEM licenses are not transferable. Retail licenses are transferable so many times, which I believe is 10 for Windows 7.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

56 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Food for thought:

Repost :P 

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

OEM licenses are not transferable. Retail licenses are transferable so many times, which I believe is 10 for Windows 7.

Oh, I thought it was infinite... 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Oh, I thought it was infinite... 

It's not enforced that strongly, but there is technically a limit.

Also, note that it is for transfering the OS between systems, which is a mainboard swap as far as validating an activation online is concerned. One could work with Microsoft in the case of a mainboard dying.-

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Food for thought:

Can I get a TLDW?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler