pros and cons of building a pc

Ryan Gadek

I am looking to build my own computer but i am not sure if i should try to build one or just buy a prebuilt system. I was wondering if it was worth it to build a pc instead of buying one.

I'd say it is very worthwhile to build your own if you have the patience. You can put together a system that is perfect for you performance wise and ensure that decent quality parts are used. You will also likely pay less than what a comparable prebuilt would cost as you do not have to pay for the labor. 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

i am just scared that i will not know where to put everything. I have watched some guides but it still just seems really hard.

It's always worth it, the only "downside" is that you have to know how to do it and you will have to solve any problems yourself (or pay someone to do it for you).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Ryan Gadek said:

i am just scared that i will not know where to put everything. I have watched some guides but it still just seems really hard.

Watch more guides (specially build logs) or have a friend help you.

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

1 minute ago, Ryan Gadek said:

just watch a few guides and builds, its hard to place things in the wrong spot seeing as everything goes in only one place usiually, and if you buy a prebuilt system you will get quite a bit less for your money

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Building your own is generally better bang for your buck and essentially gives you a learning experience. The obvious downside is that you need to invest a decent amount of time.

As the popular saying is, "building a PC is just like building with Lego... except for adults". It's understandable to be scared seeing how the "lego pieces" or parts are usually expensive but it's generally difficult to "mess up".

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, Ryan Gadek said:

There's not much to it besides knowing how to put things in slots that typically only fit one way. Just take your time building it and ask questions.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

build step by step while on youtube....dont do anything too roughly and you should be fine

Not to mention pre-builts normally cheap out on power supply and graphics card. Leaving you with a SUPER AMAZING i-7 7700 CPU that really won't do you much good if you're still using a gtx 600 series xD

Set aside and plan for 3-12 hours total for building the pc.(Take a break if you get frustrated, don't rush things) And some more time to get all your software installed, and a BACKUP image and recovery disk. It's always good to have backups.

Also, if you're still living with your parents or have any siblings... ask them to lend you a hand with things or get a second opinion if you get stuck. The motherboard manual is pretty specific about how things are supposed to get setup too.

I say go for your own personalized build, it is intimidating at first, but it's really not too difficult and very rewarding once it's complete. Best of luck to you!

you are here on linustechtips... the man himself have made multiple videos of step by step guides with build log videos he made... go watch them all and you will be a champion :)

Just now, mikat said:

if you're old enough you can do this for $$$, which is very nice :D

But it gets frustrating when family friends ask you to do it for free. Which is annoying. I've had so many people ask me. "I'm a friend of your friend, please do it for free" I charge people if I don't know them.. :P 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

But it gets frustrating when family friends ask you to do it for free. Which is annoying. I've had so many people ask me. "I'm a friend of your friend, please do it for free" I charge people if I don't know them.. :P 

Yeah also feel that way, but I've built my dad's, my mom's and my dad's work computer for free and have only built one for money.

but fixing laptops by uninstalling old programs, running malwarebytes and recommending SSDs is also pretty good, i've earned a reasonable amount for my time :) 

1 minute ago, mikat said:

Yeah also feel that way, but I've built my dad's, my mom's and my dad's work computer for free and have only built one for money.

but fixing laptops by uninstalling old programs, running malwarebytes and recommending SSDs is also pretty good, i've earned a reasonable amount for my time :) 

Yeah. :D although I've stopped working on repairs due to studies, It can get frustrating. It used to take 2-3 hours on one PC alone. Now, I might start to get people to "work" with me. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

It's not that hard, the trick is kind of just to know what goes where. With enough research you'll be fine. I built my first build with a friend who'd built PCs before and one you've built one you're fine

That's an F in the profile pic

Some in random order

warranty

price

time

damage

RMI'ing

color scheme

ya I could add more of a description but who cares

Self / home building will rarely save you much if any £/$. However, you can spec the parts yourself. As a result, you should know the make, model, speed and capacity of the motherboard, CPU, memory, HDD, SSD, graphic card and so on. Easier to diagnose should any issues arise.

Your warranty should also be better. A pre-built PC may have a bog-standard 1 year warranty. A self / home build will have a components with an average warranty of 3-5 years.

Speaking for myself, one reason I did it was to build and upgrade inside a much smaller aluminium case taking up much less physical space with components I chose. 

Just now, thefrecklepuny said:

Your warranty should also be better. A pre-built PC may have a bog-standard 1 year warranty. A self / home build will have a components with an average warranty of 3-5 years.

Isnt the loop hole "Installed by a professional"

Linus has a bunch of old building guides on his channel. (Those 40min long one)

Follow those rules and you will be fine. 

The only downside is that you have to do it your self, and learn to troubleshoot. 

But in the long run it can save you a lot of money. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

It's clear from the comments here that building your own PC has many advantages but saving money in the near term or long run is just not one of them. A pre-built comes with Windows and can be had for a much lower cost (especially when they go on sale) than spec'ing your own PC most of the time.