Cough....dropped my 7600k

Wulp was putting it in an antistatic bag because I can't use it till I update my mobo and dropped it.  Bent the corner pretty bad, managed to bend it back..almost straight, none of the contacts seem be ruined.

RMA is refund only with a 15-50% restocking fee via NewEgg.

Think it'll post and run fine if I just try and keep it?  No way to test it out as have a z170a mobo without a 6th gen processor to update the bios.

received_10209024183184900.jpeg

received_10209024182864892.jpeg

received_10209024183304903.jpeg

r-HEART-ATTACK-FEEL-LIKE-600x275.jpg

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

2 minutes ago, Narish said:

received_10209024182864892.jpeg

The heck is that white stuff? Did you put thermal paste on the wrong side of your CPU?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The heck is that white stuff? Did you put thermal paste on the wrong side of your CPU?

No, I thought I had wiped it off my hands prior to putting it in the bag and I picked it up immediately after dropping, in a panic, these pics are immediately after.

6 minutes ago, Narish said:

Wulp was putting it in an antistatic bag because I can't use it till I update my mobo and dropped it.  Bent the corner pretty bad, managed to bend it back..almost straight, none of the contacts seem be ruined.

RMA is refund only with a 15-50% restocking fee via NewEgg.

Think it'll post and run fine if I just try and keep it?  No way to test it out as have a z170a mobo without a 6th gen processor to update the bios.

You just killed it and newegg will never accept RMA for this as it's user damage after delivery. 

9 minutes ago, jnkokseby said:

r-HEART-ATTACK-FEEL-LIKE-600x275.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

You can always try your luck but there no way a CPU could be damaged like that in shipping considering how it is packaged. They will say user-damage and will not accept return and warranty won't accept it either.

But you'd have to try it. None of the yellow portions where pins touch are damaged. The 1st one on the top row is bent a little, the 2nd one, the crack almost reaches it but it doesn't. And nothing reaches the 3rd one.

Could work. 

The crazy pressure that the socket throws down could sort it out. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Hmm thanks for the replies, I'll probably drop it off at the local shop and see they'll throw it in and run it for me.

As for the RMA it was approved by the supervisor as a 1 time exception, with the pictures sent.  I'd at least get $120 back so not a total loss to get a new one.

i was kinda pissed yesterday my 7700k arrived and was just bouncing around inside the box

2 minutes ago, Narish said:

Hmm thanks for the replies, I'll probably drop it off at the local shop and see they'll throw it in and run it for me.

As for the RMA it was approved by the supervisor as a 1 time exception, with the pictures sent.  I'd at least get $120 back so not a total loss to get a new one.

Yeah I would for sure just see if the CPU works first, then if it doesn't get that $120 back for a new one. It really made me cringe when I saw these pictures.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Just now, Orangeator said:

Yeah I would for sure just see if the CPU works first, then if it doesn't get that $120 back for a new one. It really made me cringe when I saw these pictures.

#FeelsBadMan

Not kidding I almost cried, I saved for so long to get the parts to build a nice little 1080p gaming/streaming computer.

Did you like drop it from 1000ft or something? I've dropped cpus before and it does not cause that type of severe damage.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Did you like drop it from 1000ft or something? I've dropped cpus before and it does not cause that type of severe damage.

Lol no, I was just standing up putting it in the bag.  We also have hard hood floors 

1 minute ago, Narish said:

Lol no, I was just standing up putting it in the bag.  We also have hard hood floors 

Same here, but tiles.

your cpu is pretty damaged and most likely dead.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Little update on it.

Dropped it off at the shop I frequent, the owner thinks it'll be all right even though nasty looking, because the contacts are fine he went ahead and is gonna run it overnight on their bench and give me a call tomorrow.

If the pads are unaffected, it should still work. The tolerances built into CPUs should be quite high, especially since Intel CPUs use pads instead of pins.

Won't lie the anticipation is kinda killing me, but I've been told by more than one person it takes a lot to brick em(physically?) My mind set is I'll def have to replace it, but hoping I won't.  I'm more mad at myself for even dropping it.

We'll find out soon enough on the the next episode of DRAGON BALL Z!!

30 minutes ago, Narish said:

Won't lie the anticipation is kinda killing me, but I've been told by more than one person it takes a lot to brick em(physically?) My mind set is I'll def have to replace it, but hoping I won't.  I'm more mad at myself for even dropping it.

We'll find out soon enough on the the next episode of DRAGON BALL Z!!

Give your CPU a senzu bean and it'll be alright.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, Vode said:

Give your CPU a senzu bean and it'll be alright.

I would but Krillin hogs em all, he just dies too much.

2 hours ago, Narish said:

I would but Krillin hogs em all, he just dies too much.

I'm addicted to them man. You don't know what it's like. They make me feel so tall.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

And the verdict is....it's dead Jim..dead.

Don't be dumb like me and drop your cpu

1 hour ago, Narish said:

And the verdict is....it's dead Jim..dead.

Don't be dumb like me and drop your cpu

Sorry for your lose!!!

CPU - I5 6600k @4.5ghz, AIO Cooler - H100i GTX, MOBO - MSI Z170 Gaming Pro, RAM - G-Skills Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 mhz, GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080, SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250g, HDD - WD Black 1TB, PSU - Corsair TX 750, Case - Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5, Monitor - Dell S2716dg 2560x1440 144hz gsnyc  27", AOC I2757FH 1920x1080 75Hz 27", OS - Windows 10 Home.

8 hours ago, not_Linus said:

Sorry for your lose!!!

I'm mad about it of course, but it's my own fault.  Live and learn.  

Not tryina drag this post out so I'll end it with a maybe funny story?  To lighten the mood of my stupidity.

When I went and picked the CPU up from the shop, the guy(new guy, I practically live here and never seen him before) was like, "Yeah first builds are the worst, when you don't know what you're doing and accidentally mess your stuff up."

My response "Oh yeah totally, first build.  Must've bricked my ssd when I put it in the clip.  Can I get a bag?"

I thought it was funny at least, wulp back to square one, happy building guys.