Your thoughts on ryzen?

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

One of the things that will be interesting is if intel starts to change their way of releasing and positioning stuff. I don't think they can stay any longer at the level of only 4c/8t for the consumer and releasing their top chips for 1700$ or more for the 10c/20t or the rumoured 12c/24t cpu. they probably should put a least 6c/12t on the "consumer" level for way more affordable prices. And tbh: no one really needs the gimmicks of the x99 chipsets and ryzen did it the right way IMO with focusing on the important bits and pieces and leaving the gimmick out of the focus

But who needs more cores on the consumer level.

The people who edit videos mostly can afford to buy more expensive chips.

And for gaming is 4c/8t enough and you can push them to much higher frequencys than an 6c/12t one...

For stuff that can use more cores, Ryzen offers a compelling choice. For anything else, not really. It feels like what Bulldozer should've been.

But the end result is that Intel has something to worry about. Now all AMD has to do is market themselves. If they don't, then average joe is just going to want Intel all day.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i'd rather say they are showing intel that their prices on the high end are bloated to hell :P

Thats one way to see it but just think about it. The one who needs that much cores propably uses it professionally and in that sector 1200 bucks is nearly peanuts.

But like Linus said on his newest video "competition is good for the costumer"

having just watched linus's, and paul's initial review videos on ryzen, i would have to agree that there is a bit of guilt to be had as far as over hyping, but that said, AMD seems to have given itself a solid launching platform to becoming the old AMD we all knew and loved, especially at the mid range.

main/gaming system: intel core i7 5930K, 16GB Gskill ddr4, asus X99 deluxe, 2 titan X's in SLI, corsair AX860 PSU, noctua NH-d15, samsung 512 PRO SSD, 2+3 seagate HDD's, blu-ray ODD, corsair graphite 780t.   game capture system: AMD FX 8350 BE, 16GB ram (left over parts from torn down system), asus ROG crosshair V formula-z, GTX 770 SC, avermedia live gamer HG capture card, elgato HD60 s external usb3 capture device, OCZ 700w, cryorig M9a, kingston 250GB SSD(left over part from torn down system), seagate 1TB internat HDD, seagate backup plus 5TB USB 3 extrenal drive, corsair carbide 200R.    

i think it has great multi-threaded performance for the price and for workstation purposes it's super good...but it's lacking in single-threaded performance and fall short in games so for a purely gaming PC i would stick with intel until AMD launch Ryzen 2 or something...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

48 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

Price to performance is very good imo, the slightly lower gaming performance is worth it imo for more productivity. (as I also heavily take use of multithreading)

What are your thoughts on the launch?

It was overhyped, but not as bad as some people hoped ;) 

As someone who plays at 4k 60hz CPU for gaming doesnt really matter a i5 from a gen or two ago is more then fine so will a ryzen CPU.

If your going for workstation/ Productivietly or any heavy CPU task applications that can use more cores its a no brainier. Gaming only id wait for a cheaper CPU you dont need a $330+ CPU to only game IMO but intel will probably get your money. 

Also game streamers/ People who try to mutitask a lot it is a much better performance- dollars ratio then anything intel has to offer. as it beats intels processor and or ties depending on reviews that are double the cost. 

My thoughts on Ryzen?

There's a lot to consider here. The R7 1700 really stood out for me as at its launch price of $329.99, it can hold its own in rendering against the fucking 6900K. Slower? Yes, but if you were on a budget and wanted a rendering CPU, you really couldn't go too wrong going for the R7 1700. The R7 1800X also does a nice showing.

Gaming is where it gets far more complex. In many games, it seems to hold its own maxed out, but when the load is placed basically solely on the CPU, the 6900K and the 7700K do beat it by quite a serviceable amount. In those games, as I said, Ryzen holds its own maxed out, and I'm not making any mistake by noting that. But it is sad to see it being handed to in certain games, namely GTA V.

In short, AMD delivered what they promised. A supposed 52% jump in IPC is fucking incredible FWIW. But, and this is a very big one, people were just hyping it up to fucking clobber Intel all-around, and that's where they got disappointed. I expected a good gamer and a great renderer, and it seems to hold its own there. Others were expecting Ryzen to whip the 7700K's ass.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

17 minutes ago, Pauli343 said:

But who needs more cores on the consumer level.

The people who edit videos mostly can afford to buy more expensive chips.

And for gaming is 4c/8t enough and you can push them to much higher frequencys than an 6c/12t one...

well... consumer level does mean for me personally at the $300-350 max and option for "budget" oriented motherboards, x99 mobos are absurdely priced (I know they have a ton of features but as stated before, I and most other people don't need them). This would result in lower prices for the 4c 8t chips as well, so they would be the todays i5s and the i3s would become true 4c.

And remember 10years back: no one needed a 4 core... ;) 

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

My thoughts on Ryzen?

There's a lot to consider here. The R7 1700 really stood out for me as at its launch price of $329.99, it can hold its own in rendering against the fucking 6900K. Slower? Yes, but if you were on a budget and wanted a rendering CPU, you really couldn't go too wrong going for the R7 1700. The R7 1800X also does a nice showing.

Gaming is where it gets far more complex. In many games, it seems to hold its own maxed out, but when the load is placed basically solely on the CPU, the 6900K and the 7700K do beat it by quite a serviceable amount. In those games, as I said, Ryzen holds its own maxed out, and I'm not making any mistake by noting that. But it is sad to see it being handed to in certain games, namely GTA V.

In short, AMD delivered what they promised. A supposed 52% jump in IPC is fucking incredible FWIW. But, and this is a very big one, people were just hyping it up to fucking clobber Intel all-around, and that's where they got disappointed. I expected a good gamer and a great renderer, and it seems to hold its own there. Others were expecting Ryzen to whip the 7700K's ass.

Anyone expecting an 8 core to beat a quad core in gaming seriously needs to take some IT courses.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

I bought the i7 2600k last month while in limbo waiting for R7.

Is there any benchmarks of the i7 2600k compared to the R7 in gaming? Obviously won't be near as good, but want to see if I should even upgrade.. lol

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Anyone expecting an 8 core to beat a quad core in gaming seriously needs to take some IT courses.

Theres a fishy smell here and that is: AMD advertised it like it would beat the INTEL i7 product line. They compared their CPU with too many INTEL ones (only my opinion could be false or not objective)

4 minutes ago, Pauli343 said:

Theres a fishy smell here and that is: AMD advertised it like it would beat the INTEL i7 product line. They compared their CPU with too many INTEL ones (only my opinion could be false or not objective)

yeah that's true. but i think its a decent chip nonetheless

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

11 minutes ago, Pauli343 said:

Well I looked at it a lil differently... 1800x vs 6900k is good at multi-threaded workloads and can hold 4k gaming smoothly.

1700 vs 7700 well this was supposed to be gaming + streaming which benefits from having more cores since streaming is cpu bound and the extra cores will result in less frame drops but in raw gaming nope the 1700 wasn't going to stand a chance that's 8 weaker cores vs 4 strong ass cores

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

11b7d325c4c0e7c1c895d484dfbdf5b7.png

LOL the i5 199$ Intel CPU at stock is higher than the 1800x in gaming.

Bottom line:

R7 for cheap production

Intel for gaming

AMD is great again, but only for productivity. So... I they are not back 100%, only about 50%. I give them credit though.

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

Just now, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

11b7d325c4c0e7c1c895d484dfbdf5b7.png

LOL the i5 199$ Intel CPU at stock is higher than the 1800x in gaming.

Bottom line:

R7 for cheap production

Intel for gaming

AMD is great again, but only for productivity. So... I they are not back 100%, only about 50%. I give them credit though.

Depends how well the R3 and R5 line do, when theyre only using 4/8 and 6/12, can probably push more performance per core then.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Depends how well the R3 and R5 line do, when theyre only using 4/8 and 6/12, can probably push more performance per core then.

Yeah, let's continue to "wait for Ryzen!"... I'm sick of fucking waiting LOL.

My i7-2700K seems to be more attracted to the 6700K/7700K for now. Who knows if the R5 chips are more seductive?

1 hour ago, Pauli343 said:

Thats one way to see it but just think about it. The one who needs that much cores propably uses it professionally and in that sector 1200 bucks is nearly peanuts.

or rather, that you dont *need* to be a pro something to get your hands on that kind of performance.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

I am 100% aware of this. However, this seems like something crucial to how Ryzen is supposed to work and should have been caught and fixed. I'd even wager that they knew about it and released this stuff anyways.

I hope reviewers go back and redo their "benchmarks" whenever this is sorted out in a bios update.

I'm sure few reputable reviewers will, maybe not immediately but in couple of months. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

i'm just glad the official reviews confirmed it actually does reach near the performance it boasted,  leaks  say one thing & official resuts says another thing usually, bu t this is pretty good for me. Never thought i'd see AMD standing on par with Intel as a budget competition without  compromising on performance

Details separate people.