How to keep my cat off my tower!

Try putting random objects in strategic places on the top so as to not block your exhaust and get rid of any nice flat spots that cats like to sleep on.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Don't you start with that eating pets nonsense.  ?

Bad whatever you are!  Bad!  lol

though a cheap amd fx and gtx 480 4 way sli will also work for you computer nerds

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

On 2/24/2017 at 8:37 PM, BingoFishy said:

Put spikes on top.

/s

WHOA WHOA WHOA you might be on to something buy those anti-bird perch strips and set them ontop of the tower seems like a legit fix to me

On 2/24/2017 at 8:39 PM, nadecatcher said:

I have an exhaust up there

OP these wouldn't block your exhaust very much if at all!

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Yeah welcome to my world.  I went through no less than half a dozen cases trying to find a solution.  

They are currently quite happy with their new throne.  The SMA8 is big enough for 3 of the 5.   So they take turns being up there.  

20170221_202629.jpg

20170221_202638.jpg

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

On 25/02/2017 at 2:47 AM, Bleedingyamato said:

Bunnies are friends not food.  ?

Rabbits are not only tasty, but more importantly a very environmentally sustainable meat. Squirrels are too.  

9 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Rabbits are not only tasty, but more importantly a very environmentally sustainable meat. Squirrels are too.  

They are fluffy, adorable, and NOT food...    I am against eating cute things.  ?

Put other nice things on top of your tower. Idk a plant pot or something that will deter him from jumping ontop

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

11 hours ago, KWelz said:

-snip-

1kdo45.jpg

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Thread moved to Off Topic.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Now, how can I get my cat ON my tower? My case doesn't have to vents and is in a nice position under my desk.

29 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

Now, how can I get my cat ON my tower? My case doesn't have to vents and is in a nice position under my desk.

Easy!  Strangle a cat, set on top of case....profit!?

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

make a pyramid for the top of it out of metal mesh or something, cat will just slide offf

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

• 2 years later...

So I know this is an old thread but it was one of the first google results for me when I searched the other day (in August 2019) and I found a good solution. I saw someone sarcastically said to "put spikes on top", but they actually do make spiky mats to keep cats out of garden plants etc. They are called prickle cat scat mats. I bought them on amazon, they were super cheap, just search and you'll find a variety of items. They aren't sharp enough to hurt the cat (I would never want to do that--they are precious to me?), they are made of flexible plastic, but they still make the computer tower an uncomfortable place for the cat to sit or climb on. We have a vent on top of our tower so it was important to use that the cat stay off and that anything we put on there be breathable. They haven't been up there since I put them on top a few days ago whereas before we would constantly find them sleeping up there. See attached pic! (ignore crumpled tinfoil--that was from a failed attempt to keep them off before the mats arrived lol) 

unnamed.jpg

1) Try to train him by pushing him off

2) Fail spectacularly

3) put freshly ground pepper on the tower

4) have it fall through the mesh and rekt the computer

5) now your computer doesn't give off heat - problem solved

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Get another computer and fold on it 24/7. Now the cat will sit on this computer

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

On 2/24/2017 at 9:24 PM, nadecatcher said:

GRRRRR 

Okay, Guys

i'm new here this is my first post, But i have been watching linus since his NCIX days. I need some help here pronto! My damn cat wont stop jumping on my new tower i just built. I didn't mind it before with my old PC because it was getting to the point to where I no longer cared about it anymore lol, but my new tower is in the gloss black finished s340 case and i'm afraid he is going to scratch it. Not to mention about 50% of his jumps onto my PC he hits the power button and my PC starts to shut down during a gaming session. This is become a pretty serious problem actually, he will inadvertently shut my PC off at least 4-5 times a night. So if anyone could be so kind and share with me ways you keep your cat off your tower, PLEASE let me know.

THANKS! :):)

To fix your shutdown issue, you could simply reprogram the physical power button to "do nothing" when the system is already running.

This is very easy to do (assuming Windows 10).

Go to:

1. Settings

2. System

3. Power & sleep

4. Additional power settings

5. Change plan settings

6. Change advanced power settings

7. Scroll down to "Power buttons and lid"

8. Power button action: "Do nothing"

In terms of your cat? Hard to say. I have two cats - and cats don't often listen. They can learn, but training them is difficult because even though they'll learn what you want them to do, they often just don't give a shit.

You could try buying anti-cat pheromone spray, spray it onto a cloth, and wipe your computer tower down with it. It's supposed to be odorless to humans, but it has an odd smell to me. Note: not every cat is affected by the pheromone - and even if yours is, you'll have to repeat the application of the spray every day for like 2 weeks minimum before they learn.

Additional options: Go to Walmart or the Dollar Store and buy an empty plastic spray bottle. Fill it up with water. Set the spray to the tightest beam possible (So it shoots straight across the room, not a mist). Spray your goddamn fucking cat every single time they go to jump up onto your Tower. Spray them if they're on top of the tower. Basically spray them with the water when they're doing something you don't want them to do.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Get a power switch

Cats like the air and being next to ypu, dont bothet punishing you cant do that with cats( they arent dogs and willl learn to resent you)

Alternativly get a litlle bit of cat repellent like orange oil they hate citrus oil

My cat does this btw and honetly I dont mine he is my buddy and it is the highest place in the room so Im just going to work around it

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

2 minutes ago, alicskysareblue said:

Cats like the air and being next to ypu, dont bothet punishing you cant do that with cats( they arent dogs and willl learn to resent you)

That's not true at all. A cat will resent you if they don't understand why they are being punished - or if the punishment is inconsistent.

Just like a dog.

Cats are more independent though compared to dogs, and are typically more difficult to train.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This thread just necrod out of nowhere XD

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

31 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

That's not true at all. A cat will resent you if they don't understand why they are being punished - or if the punishment is inconsistent.

Just like a dog.

Cats are more independent though compared to dogs, and are typically more difficult to train.

Ive owned cats all my life, please dont tell how to train a cat. Ive done my research and I know what Im talking about.

And they arent hard to train. But cats arent dogs and you should not treat them as such.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

5 minutes ago, alicskysareblue said:

Ive owned cats all my life, please dont tell how to train a cat. Ive done my research and I know what Im talking about.

And they arent hard to train. But cats arent dogs and you should not treat them as such.

I've also owned cats my entire life. I have not once said that training a cat is the same as training a dog. They are different animals.

But the idea that you can't punish them for doing something wrong because they will resent you is straight up false information.

Perhaps some cats will be like that, but that's the exception, not the rule. A spray bottle, and spraying your cat when they jump on top of your computer, is entirely harmless to their psyche. They might be pissed off the first time you do it. That's not the same as resenting you. They will eventually learn (Unless they're the type of cat that ends up liking getting sprayed with water - if that's the case, finding a different method to discourage them is needed).

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I've also owned cats my entire life. I have not once said that training a cat is the same as training a dog. They are different animals.

But the idea that you can't punish them for doing something wrong because they will resent you is straight up false information.

Perhaps some cats will be like that, but that's the exception, not the rule. A spray bottle, and spraying your cat when they jump on top of your computer, is entirely harmless to their psyche. They might be pissed off the first time you do it. That's not the same as resenting you. They will eventually learn (Unless they're the type of cat that ends up liking getting sprayed with water - if that's the case, finding a different method to discourage them is needed).

Thanks for clarifying, I understand now.

I personally need to get my cat to stop chewing on cords, its not safe and its really expensive to replace.

Just now, alicskysareblue said:

Thanks for clarifying, I understand now.

I personally need to get my cat to stop chewing on cords, its not safe and its really expensive to replace.

I too had that problem when they were young. With diligence, and a hell of a lot of water and a spray bottle, they stopped doing it.

Not every bad habit a cat does can be stopped - especially if they can freely do whatever it is when you're not around. But a lot of them can definitely be managed or eliminated.

18 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I too had that problem when they were young. With diligence, and a hell of a lot of water and a spray bottle, they stopped doing it.

Not every bad habit a cat does can be stopped - especially if they can freely do whatever it is when you're not around. But a lot of them can definitely be managed or eliminated.

I found some old orange essential oils, which is useless stuff, but it works well as a deterrent my cat really dislikes that smell, so I rubbed it on the cords he usually chews and the  fan filter on top and it works !

I wasent very fond of the idea of spraying my cat with water especially around my computer.