AMD Ryzen HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!!!

DocSwag
1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I like how the CPUs look so far, but the current motherboards you can buy are bad, the best board is a mainstream board, where are the high quality 400$ boards? I will not buy a 1700x when the best board I can get is some mainstream shit to go with what is an enthusiast CPU. I am fine with the best board being a Hero when we talk 1600x and down, but not for the 1700,1700x and 1800x.

What do you look for in a "best" motherboard? $150-ish generally seem to have quality components and any higher you're just paying a gamer tax.

Generally.

So some of you have been intrigued by Ryzen 3 and 5 and are wondering when they are launching. Well it turns out that we now have some info on this (I haven't found anything coming directly from AMD but these pics seem to be of the actual event itself so I'm not too sure what to make of it).

Ryzen 3 and 5 Release Date Info

uizezu575khy.jpg

So it looks like we'll be getting Ryzen 5 before H2 of 2017! I'm guessing somewhere around Computex time would be likely but that's neat that it's coming soon!

Ryzen 3 won't be coming until H2 of 2017, though that doesn't surprise me much. AMD stated they would start with targeting the high end before and Ryzen 3 is much more mainstream so that makes sense. So if you're waiting for Ryzen 3, you probably should just buy an Intel CPU now unless you're willing to wait.

Ryzen 5 1600x Specs Confirmed!

db7f271801028073a83cafa1d5ca846956fc0be7e4654e603c92c5d676945609.jpg

So it looks like the 1600x is very much just a 6 core version of the 1800x. It has the same base and boost though I assume the cache is probably 3/4 that of the 1800x. For most high end ish builders, this will probably be the CPU to get since most likely it will be around $300 and most people don't need 8 cores. Unfortuantely this won't be out for a while but still, this is pretty cool!

I'll edit this into the main post now :).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

What do you look for in a "best" motherboard? $150-ish generally seem to have quality components and any higher you're just paying a gamer tax.

Generally.

My thoughts as well. Going above $150-200 for motherboards you're only really getting more multi-gpu support, built-in WC capabilities, or gamer tax. For desktop systems, at least.

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I like how the CPUs look so far, but the current motherboards you can buy are bad, the best board is a mainstream board, where are the high quality 400$ boards? I will not buy a 1700x when the best board I can get is some mainstream shit to go with what is an enthusiast CPU. I am fine with the best board being a Hero when we talk 1600x and down, but not for the 1700,1700x and 1800x.

I find it hard to believe that the Msi XPower Titanium is mainstream. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

What do you look for in a "best" motherboard? $150+ generally seem to have quality components and any higher you're just paying a gamer tax.

I am looking for Asus Formula quality, Asus X99 Strix or Asrock X99 OC Formula, boards that are basically overbuilt. Is it too much to want enthusiast motherboards for an enthusiast CPU?

Hell 10Gb lan would have been a nice thing to see on X370 or at least just a workstation board.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

12 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Generally.

I agree.

Spend for features you want you save money that way.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I am looking for Asus Formula quality, Asus X99 Strix or Asrock X99 OC Formula, boards that are basically overbuilt. Is it too much to want enthusiast motherboards for an enthusiast CPU?

Hell 10Gb lan would have been a nice thing to see on X370 or at least just a workstation board.

Even Asus, known for launching 279 different boards for each CPU at launch isn't doing anything fancy for Ryzen.  The Hero is a mid level for sure.  Not saying it's not enough, but it's far from high end.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/02/22/ryzen-am4-motherboard-guide/

Compare that to the z270 or x99 launches where they had Formula and Extreme versions available.  Those are definitely "enthusiast" level and higher end motherboards.  

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/03/z270-motherboard-guide/

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/05/09/which-new-asus-x99-motherboard-should-i-buy/

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

True, though I think at a certain point you're overpaying for what you get. Maybe at a later time they'll have those "enthusiast" boards like Intel ones, and perhaps actual workstation boards :^)

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Ehm...

I don't want to get into the whole "Ryzen supports/doesn't support ECC!" because quite frankly I don't care (I am not going to get ECC memory anyway). But I found it odd that you linked to a Google cache version of the website. So I went and looked at Asus's own website (not the cached version you linked) and it explicitly only lists non-ECC RAM.

So the website you linked contains outdated information which is most likely wrong, since Asus changed it.

I find it odd that you would look up an old page with outdated info and post that, instead of the current one. If it was someone else posting that link I would have said you were deliberately trying to mislead people in order to hype Ryzen. But since you have been reasonable so far with your opinions I just find it very odd.

I just googled "Ryzen ECC" and found this reddit thread as the very first result: 

Which had an update that stated it supported ECC, so I copied that link and posted it. Either way, upon further investigation, I've found that manufacturers do list ECC ram as compatible, but it runs in non-ECC mode.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html#productSpecification-section

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-K7-rev-10#sp

Which puts us in an awkward situation. Does the AM4 platform support ECC memory? Technically, yes. Do you get the benefits of using ECC memory? Seems unlikely at this point. Perhaps it's a chipset issue, we don't know. I'd wager they are saving real ECC support for Naples, but we will wait and see. Sorry for breaking my own rules of reading before posting. This one's clearly my fault.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

True, though I think at a certain point you're overpaying for what you get. Maybe at a later time they'll have those "enthusiast" boards like Intel ones, and perhaps actual workstation boards :^)

sadly the history with AMD boards says that we won't get anything that is better, than what we have now, ofc I hope for a high-quality board, but if they don't then I won't buy a 1700, 1700x or a 1800x.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Am I the only one who saw that Microcenter dropped the price for the 7700k to 299.99 and then the 6700k to 279.99 with 30 off with a mobo? Just a little food for thought. Seems kind of funny  with Ryzen announced.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Am I the only one who saw that Microcenter dropped the price for the 7700k to 299.99 and then the 6700k to 279.99 with 30 off with a mobo? Just a little food thought. 

Micro Center does that all the time.  They drop prices for a few weeks then they go back up.  It certainly doesn't mean that it's related to the Ryzen release.

Gaming benchmarks please. You don't need a 8core Ryzen to play the fucking game Candy Crush or for some Office.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Micro Center does that all the time.  They drop prices for a few weeks then they go back up.  It certainly doesn't mean that it's related to the Ryzen release.

Good point.

However if everyone else drops their prices to be the same and they stay that way we would be in for a lot of good deals. That's just a smidgen of speculation though.

18 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Even Asus, known for launching 279 different boards for each CPU at launch isn't doing anything fancy for Ryzen.  The Hero is a mid level for sure.  Not saying it's not enough, but it's far from high end.

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/02/22/ryzen-am4-motherboard-guide/

Compare that to the z270 or x99 launches where they had Formula and Extreme versions available.  Those are definitely "enthusiast" level and higher end motherboards.  

http://edgeup.asus.com/2017/01/03/z270-motherboard-guide/

http://edgeup.asus.com/2016/05/09/which-new-asus-x99-motherboard-should-i-buy/

Pains me a lil that the z270 Hero/Formula doesn't have the same vrm as the z170

Why asus? :< 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 hours ago, Lays said:

You're clueless. 

1.42 is really pushing it, good luck

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

1.42 is really pushing it, good luck

Disagreed. Anything under 1.45 is totally fine as long as you have a good cooler.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Am I the only one who saw that Microcenter dropped the price for the 7700k to 299.99 and then the 6700k to 279.99 with 30 off with a mobo? Just a little food for thought. 

Sucks as the 6700k right before Christmas was 249.99 

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Disagreed. Anything under 1.45 is totally fine as long as you have a good cooler.

1 minute ago, JDMFTW said:

Sucks as the 6700k right before Christmas was 249.99 

Yeah, I check their website almost everyday because they'll throw out some nice prices a lot of times and then sell out fast if it's a low volume item.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Yeah, I check their website almost everyday because they'll throw out some nice prices a lot of times and then sell out fast if it's a low volume item.

Same, its also the reason ive yet to pre order. since they have yet to list mobos for am4. seems pointless to buy cpu then a few days later the mobo. when i can buy together and save 30$.

8 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Ah yes, the Intel whitesheets. The very same whitesheets that said anything above 1.575v VDIMM on Haswell was dangerous. The very same ones that claim anything beyond 1.4175v VDIMM is dangerous for Skylake's IMC. If everyone took Intel's word for everything, nobody would be running anything beyond 2133mhz on DDR4 or 1600mhz on DDR3 (Haswell). 

His voltage is fine. Voltage is only half of the equation. I've seen @Lays thermals, and he has passed my very strict tests with flying colors. His chip won't be degrading anytime soon, and even if it does, he will likely replace it long before that point since he always has to have the bleeding edge. I just take solace in the fact that he upgraded from a perfectly good 6700k, to a 7700k, and still cant watch 4k Netflix. Take that, Lays!

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

18 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

The only reason he made that video was to address the 1.52v max voltage outlined in Intel's white papers.  He was not trying to say any particular voltage is safe.  He was simply saying that 1.52v is not safe, which actually isn't necessarily true at all.

Regardless, it's not a specific voltage that degrades or kills a CPU.  Voltage is nothing more than potential.  It's the current behind that voltage that causes the damage.  This is to say that you can run your voltage at 1.52v with an extremely light load, but once you place a load, which results in an increase in current, the 1.52v has the potential to allow more current to flow through your CPU.  The 1.52v by itself isn't doing the damage.  Just like the 1.42v that you magically made up isn't causing the damage.

A CPU at 1.42v running a Prime95 AVX load for a month would more than likely suffer more degradation than a CPU at 1.47v running Microsoft Office for 10 years.

There's a lot more to it than just saying a particular voltage is dangerous.  It's just easier to repeat everywhere you go.

I suspect this is why @Lays stated that you are clueless. 

44 minutes ago, JDMFTW said:

Same, its also the reason ive yet to pre order. since they have yet to list mobos for am4. seems pointless to buy cpu then a few days later the mobo. when i can buy together and save 30$.

They'll have the boards as soon as the chip drops.  They always do.

Place an internet pre-order for whichever Ryzen chip you want.  You can't pay for it until you get to the store anyways as they don't except online payments for "in store" only items.  This will assure that you have a chip reserved.  Then go to the store and look at the boards in person.  Carry whichever board you choose over to the "internet order" counter and pay for your new chip and board at the same time.  They give you the $30 combo code on the spot.  I do this a lot.  :D

31 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

I didn't watch it but isn't this just proving my point? Intel recommends 1.52 volts max (though I think that's too much) but still.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler