Should I bail on my 6700k

I just upgraded to a 6700k this past Christmas. With all of Ryzen coming to light, do you think I should bail on my 6700k and z170 pro gaming motherboard before ryzen launches? I would probably sell the combo for like $350. I gotta have a CPU that won't bottleneck a  1080 ti in bf1 or other CPU intensive games.

2 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

I just upgraded to a 6700k this past Christmas. With all of Ryzen coming to light, do you think I should bail on my 6700k and z170 pro gaming motherboard before ryzen launches? I would probably sell the combo for like $350. I gotta have a CPU that won't bottleneck a  1080 ti in bf1 or other CPU intensive games.

Do you need more than 4 Cores/8 Threads? If you don't, then selling your 6700K for a Ryzen CPU is a complete waste of money

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

wait for ryzen 

He has already bought the 6700K xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

7 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

It is not like the 6700k bottlenecks the Titan XP...

If I were you what I would do is keep this hardware, wait for Ryzen to launch, then wait Intel to respond with the i7 7740k and only then you sell your 6700k and use the money to buy the i7 7740k (do remember to update your bios before selling the 6700k though) and done you're gonna be in the highest end possible for PC gaming on the CPU department.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

wait for ryzen 

I'm afraid that if I just wait for ryzen to launch, once it launches my setup won't be worth near much at all.

2 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

I'm afraid that if I just wait for ryzen to launch, once it launches my setup won't be worth near much at all.

Dude. You don't need 8 Cores for gaming. Additionally, we don't know how much the CPUs will cost... 

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Dude. You don't need 8 Cores for gaming. Additionally, we don't know how much the CPUs will cost... 

Some games are going that way. Also, if ryzen is successful, it could change the mainstream core thread usage argument. I was told that my 4 core 4 thread i5 was all I needed. I'm trying to avoid another similar scenario happening with my i7, if that makes any sense.

You'll be fine. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

Some games are going that way. Also, if ryzen is successful, it could change the mainstream core thread usage argument. I was told that my 4 core 4 thread i5 was all I needed. I'm trying to avoid another similar scenario happening with my i7, if that makes any sense.

Well, developers rarely optimize for 8 cores/ 16 threads because very few people have such CPUs. That being said, games are starting to use 6 cores and 12 threads (and can max them out), so if you sell your 6700K and get a 5820K/6800K now, or wait another month for Ryzen, you will have a more "futureproof" PC.

While I would like to say any reasonably sane publisher will not tell their developers to target high-end machines, I would also like to say that whoever publishes the requirements for the games are marketers who want to make their game sound impressive when in reality, no, it doesn't require that much horse power.

For example, Battlefield 1's minimum requirement is an AMD FX-6350. Though on the Intel side, they said an i5-6600K is required. Does EA have any idea what the performance difference is between the two even in multithreaded tasks? http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1281?vs=1544. Case of marketers writing something developers should've written.

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

It is not like the 6700k bottlenecks the Titan XP...

Digital foundry said that the 6700K bottlenecked it at 1080p. But I guess who'd buy a Titan XP for 1080p?

e-peen contest is stupid. Enjoy your 6700K for many years.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

54 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, developers rarely optimize for 8 cores/ 16 threads because very few people have such CPUs. That being said, games are starting to use 6 cores and 12 threads (and can max them out), so if you sell your 6700K and get a 5820K/6800K now, or wait another month for Ryzen, you will have a more "futureproof" PC.

Yeah, I know it is only a few, like bf1 in specific. However, I'm not sure if it really accounts for an fps difference or not really. I think bf1 uses 6 cores but not efficiently like you'd expect.

Its a gamble. Personally I wouldn't do it. I upgraded my system to an i7-6700k in November. There was a good bundle deal with a mobo that I wanted. Even if Ryzen comes out with a model that beats the i7 at a lower price point I would have been using my system for at lest 6 months. I accept that as the normal tech advancement.

If Ryzen completely blows away the i7 it would still take another year or so before games can fully take advantage of it. In which case I would cut my normal upgrade cycle from 5 years to 3-4 years. I would still feel I got my money's worth.  

1 hour ago, Thelillypad123 said:

I see intels marketing works perfectly cause that´s exactly what they want you to believe.

18 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I see intels marketing works perfectly cause that´s exactly what they want you to believe.

Intel's marketing? I'm just worried about 4c/8t becoming inferior to 6c/12t and above. 

Edit: in terms of gaming performance 

7 hours ago, Thelillypad123 said:

Yeah, I know it is only a few, like bf1 in specific. However, I'm not sure if it really accounts for an fps difference or not really. I think bf1 uses 6 cores but not efficiently like you'd expect.

Actually, both BF1 and Watch_dogs 2 use 6 cores and 12 threads very efficiently. But, we don't know whether other games will start using 12 threads. The choice is really up you. But even if games do start using 12 or 16 Threads, those CPUs would outperform the 6700K by around 5-10FPS. If you feel like you need those 5-10FPS more, then by all means upgrade to a 6 core/8 core CPU. 

5 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Actually, both BF1 and Watch_dogs 2 use 6 cores and 12 threads very efficiently. But, we don't know whether other games will start using 12 threads. The choice is really up you. But even if games do start using 12 or 16 Threads, those CPUs would outperform the 6700K by around 5-10FPS. If you feel like you need those 5-10FPS more, then by all means upgrade to a 6 core/8 core CPU. 

yeah, I guess what I was trying to say actually was that even though my 6700k hits 99% usage in bf1, and the 5820k hardly goes over 50% at times, they still have a negligible FPS difference between the two which I don't understand being possible really, since when I had my 4690k hitting 99% usage, it would tank my framerate.

10 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

-snip-

I wouldn't use CPU cores and usage too much. What matters more for games is how fast each thread is. For example, one of my games (Sorry, I don't game much) is a single core game. It runs at 50-60% load on my 2500K. I recently bought a cheap 2700K and OC'd it to match the 2500K at 4.6Ghz. The same game runs at 25%-30% load and is notably keeping up at 60fps a lot better.

On my server, I have a 14 core 2.2GHz Xeon E5-2695V3. The game runs at 5% of the CPU. I'm sure you can guess that my server can't run the game all that well. Pretty much even if the CPU is pinned at max, as long as it can keep feeding the GPU (You should look at the GPU usage and see if it dips up / down rapidly), it's good.

Also, even on my cousin's 5820K, the clock speed couldn't get so high due to heat (Wow, that CPU needs a lot of cooling). More cores do help if you like to hoard chrome tabs though or have a lot of open applications like me.

I personally would say keep the 6700K...actually, have you overclocked it yet? I'm still amazed BF1 is pinning the 6700K to 99% (Sorry, not a gamer...I mostly do content creation work with my PCs / server).

22 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I wouldn't use CPU cores and usage too much. What matters more for games is how fast each thread is. For example, one of my games (Sorry, I don't game much) is a single core game. It runs at 50-60% load on my 2500K. I recently bought a cheap 2700K and OC'd it to match the 2500K at 4.6Ghz. The same game runs at 25%-30% load and is notably keeping up at 60fps a lot better.

On my server, I have a 14 core 2.2GHz Xeon E5-2695V3. The game runs at 5% of the CPU. I'm sure you can guess that my server can't run the game all that well. Pretty much even if the CPU is pinned at max, as long as it can keep feeding the GPU (You should look at the GPU usage and see if it dips up / down rapidly), it's good.

Also, even on my cousin's 5820K, the clock speed couldn't get so high due to heat (Wow, that CPU needs a lot of cooling). More cores do help if you like to hoard chrome tabs though or have a lot of open applications like me.

I personally would say keep the 6700K...actually, have you overclocked it yet? I'm still amazed BF1 is pinning the 6700K to 99% (Sorry, not a gamer...I mostly do content creation work with my PCs / server).

Yeah, depending on the map my CPU usage can be anywhere from 75-100% the whole game. Sadly, because I like to have really high fps because I'm competitive, I turn down the settings so that my 1070 can get 144 fps constantly, but because the CPU is pegged at 100%, it makes it almost impossible. I haven't overclocked yet though, but I mean what is going from the 4.2 Ghz boost clock to 4.6 Ghz really gonna do for me?

8 minutes ago, Thelillypad123 said:

-snip-

Oh wow, I didn't think BF1 was that CPU hungry. Interesting. What's the GPU usage like though?

Well, 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz is roughly a 9% gain, it may help your fps a bit more than you'd think. You may or may not be able to get a higher OC due to cooling / silicon lottery though. I know on my 2500K, the stock boost of 3.8GHz to 4.6GHz is roughly a 17% gain, and it is noticeable. Same for 3.9GHz to 4.6GHz on the 2700K, 15% gain.

28 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Oh wow, I didn't think BF1 was that CPU hungry. Interesting. What's the GPU usage like though?

Well, 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz is roughly a 9% gain, it may help your fps a bit more than you'd think. You may or may not be able to get a higher OC due to cooling / silicon lottery though. I know on my 2500K, the stock boost of 3.8GHz to 4.6GHz is roughly a 17% gain, and it is noticeable. Same for 3.9GHz to 4.6GHz on the 2700K, 15% gain.

Gpu usage is usually above 90% with the occasional dip to the high 70s. It's not too bad of a bottleneck but it is present.

i may give overclocking a shot to see what happens. It just takes a few days to overclock and I can't game while I'm doing it haha.

Gpu usage is usually above 90% with the occasional dip to the high 70s. It's not too bad of a bottleneck but it is present.

i may give overclocking a shot to see what happens. It just takes a few days to overclock and I can't game while I'm doing it haha.

Hmm, you might try 10 runs of Intel Burn Test at maximum. It took me about 1/2 a day to dial in 4.6GHz on my 2700K. It took roughly 1.5 hours for each full run of IBT. I usually never have had a CPU unstable after IBT testing (Though I usually go nuts with 20 runs).

It should at least give your CPU a bit of a boost to keep up with the 1070.