AMD's Excavator: A Revolution?

nicehat

thor.jpg?w=600&h=338

Some revealing information gleaned from the people at X-bit labs indicate that the fourth generation Bulldozer core code-named Excavator will support 256-bit AVX2 floating point instructions, which means that a huge leap and change from the current gen which calls for two 128 bit floating point pipelines per module that get unified into a single 256-bit-wide unit. 

Essentially, the entire architecture calls for a unified FPU process instead of a shared one. This means that the architecture will either have to be considerably upgraded, or redone from scratch. There is not much more information on Excavator yet, only that Steamroller will feature a highly improved frontend with two decoders per module.

"AMD recently released a patch to the GCC community that enables support for its future high-performance micro-architecture code-named Excavator, which the chip developer calls "bdver4" internally. The initial patch is designed to bring very general support of Excavator to Linux operating system, but even that general support may reveal some of the secrets the Excavator may have. Based on the information released by AMD, the Excavator will support all the instructions found in the modern Intel code-named Haswell microprocessors, including SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AES, PCLMUL, AVX, BMI, F16C, MOVBE, AVX2, BMI2, RDRND and so on.

Keeping in mind that by the time AMD’s Excavator begins to roll commercially, Intel will release its brand-new Skylake high-performance micro-architecture that will support 512-bit AVX instructions known as AVX3.2, upgrading FPU is simply a must."

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20131018224745_AMD_Excavator_Core_May_Dramatic_Performance_Increases.html

So are you guys excited or what!? With the graphical war in full swing, AMD is getting ready to duke it out with Intel.. This is a pretty awesome time to be a PC enthusiast! 

Oh yea, Kaveri is confirmed for Jan 7th 2014! Start researching FM2+ boards now if interested!

Edited by nicehat

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I was planning on upgrading my proc several months ago, still have the funds secured for it. But something tells me if I wait for the dust to settle, I'm gonna be using this i3 for a LONG time...

Side note: Is that Borderlands? I swore that was an nVidia title...

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

I was planning on upgrading my proc several months ago, still have the funds secured for it. But something tells me if I wait for the dust to settle, I'm gonna be using this i3 for a LONG time...

Yes it is.

if AMD are redesigning the FPU from scratch they probably will go straight for 512bit  as excavator wont be out till 2015 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

if AMD are redesigning the FPU from scratch they probably will go straight for 512bit  as excavator wont be out till 2015 

They may have two shared 256 units combining for a 512 ala Piledriver. I dont know. I sure hope they change it to a 512 unified pipe

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

i3 FOR THE WIN :)

i3-2120|4gb 1333|GTX 650ti 1gb|Fractal R4|Corsair 430w 

i3 FOR THE WIN :)

With Mantle, the chip should do just fine...

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

With Mantle, the chip should do just fine...

Mantle? What chip? The i3? excavator? 

Its a low level API for gpus 

Cool not that I'm going to use a AMD CPU anytime soon. i just got my 3570K not that long ago and its fast enough for what I do.

Mantle? What chip? The i3? excavator? 

Its a low level API for gpus 

AMD claims that Mantle can generate up to 9 times more draw calls per second than comparable APIs by reducing CPU overhead. The reason why an i3 is holding you slightly back is because it struggles to give the GPU draw calls fast enough (I guess I should add a disclaimer: among other reasons).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

What did AMD say a while back? Each new CPU will have differences of up to 15%?

That was the difference between Bulldozer and Piledriver, lets see if that continues with Steamroller and then Excavator as well :)

Can't wait to see the performance charts.

CPU: 2500k 4.6 Ghz 1.38V   Cooler: CM Seidon 120M   Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V   Memory: Patriot 1600 Mhz (4x4Gb)   GPU: MSI Twin Frozer 3 7950 (1100/1500)  

Storage: Patriot Pyro SE 120Gb, Seagate 500Gb,  HGST 1Tb   PSU: OCZ 700W   Monitor: Dell ST2420L   Mouse: Razer Naga 2012   Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Ultimate (Mx Blues)  

The giant excavator thing is not from BL2 IMO. But the vehicles are 100% from Borderlands 2. And yes it is an Nvidia title... Weird, huh ?

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

I love it how we already have news about Excavator, but have 0 real info on the steamroller, we have no 8 or at least 6 cores on the way, i get that APU-s are the future, but will AMD just be a surviving the next year or will they fight.

The highest end APU is a quad core..., the last truly well performing one was the phenom II x4 ( quad core ), and the APU-s do not come close, so AMD is going to make a step back with 4 cores, an APU that only makes sense if you do not buy a GPU.

APU-s work well with high speed ram, well for the price of that mega speed ram to have a real effect in games i can get the cheap 1600 ram, Athlon II, and a decent GPU... 

If they want to make APU-s that's fine, but they should really be focused on more cores. 2 year old fx CPU will be more powerful than the next gen APU, this is not acceptable... Intel is dragging it's ass, but i have not seen them make a worse performing chip than the one made 2 years before.

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

I really hope AMD comes back to the top to give Intel a run for its money.

wasnt that what we all wanted with the 290x and nvidia?

Kind of scary, AMD moves like the next 2 years of market were going to be progressing at the pace they are doing today. Is the CPU wars going to be this very small leaping frogs we have seen with GPUs?

I hope we see more hardware specific APIs usage, Crystal Well-like technology, hUMA developing, dedicated video encoding,  even more parallel processing and DDR4 on the AMD route, specially with APUs.

I do believe one day the low- and mid- end gamer will only have to rely on their APU to game just like they do today.

What did AMD say a while back? Each new CPU will have differences of up to 15%?

That was the difference between Bulldozer and Piledriver, lets see if that continues with Steamroller and then Excavator as well :)

AMD made this claim while saying that would release annually. They delivered with piledriver but have failed to deliver steamroller.

If they had kept increasing performance by 15% per year like they did from bulldozer to piledriver then they would be in a decent position.

hope it comes to AM3+ as well  :rolleyes:

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

I wish more people saw what AMD is doing with their APUs. The GPU can be used to offload some of the lighter floating point operations freeing up the CPU to do the heavy lifting and reduce time on the entire calculation. All AMD needs to do after that is make their fetching process faster to keep up with it.

Back from the dead....

hope it comes to AM3+ as well  :rolleyes:

Word on the street is they're retiring AM3+ within the next year or so.  Among other problems it has issues with low memory bandwidth.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

The giant excavator thing is not from BL2 IMO. But the vehicles are 100% from Borderlands 2. And yes it is an Nvidia title... Weird, huh ?

To be honest, both may be from the game, check Caustic Caverns you'll see the same style excavator things there. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7