Which ROG Motherboard To Get?

Hi guys I'm building a new system with a red and black theme so I was wondering which ROG board to get? Hero, Formula, Extreme or Gene?

What chip will you be using?

What do you plan on doing?

Will you watercool?

answer these.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

Will you watercool?

answer these.

i thought you asked these just for the fun of it

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

dude all of those boards have a specific target, (dont know all of them) but you listed ITX (didnt list any sorry) mATX ATX and bigger (again didnt list any, misread), we cant just tell you which one is the best unless if we know what you want and what you will use of the ROG features

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

That's a great username btw.

But yeah, we'd need more info on things such as usage scenario, platform, supporting hardware, (most importantly) budget, etc etc.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Will you watercool?

answer these.

i5 4670K

I plan on gaming on multiple 1080p monitors and want to get above 60FPS on all games.

I will start with an AIO watercooling kit until I have enough money for a completely custom loop.

Sorry I didn't give more detail my bad :)

I like the Impact, but you should get the Hero. It's a good board, and it isn't overloaded with shit you won't need.

I still think you should stray away from the red/black norm and go for something exciting, like lime green (G1 Sniper) or yellow (Z87 MPOWER)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

+1 for the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO if you want a full ATX board or the ASUS Maximus VI GENE if you want a mATX board for a small form factor rig.

I personally like the smaller rig setups but I don't ever plan to have more than a 2-way GPU SLI/Crossfire setup and also use a NAS for most of my storage instead of a lot of SSD's/HDD's in my rig.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

If you want to watercool your motherboard later or enjoy the extra features get the formula. If that does not apply, the Hero is more than adequate. 

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Formula, I love mine. Although you wouldn't want to water cool it with the stock block because it is made of aluminium and you may have problems with galvanic corrosion. OC3D gave it a gold award. Mind that the free Kaspersky thingy that comes with all Maximus VIs only works with windows 8 for now (doesnt work with windows 8.1).

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

Formula or Hero is a good choice.

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

i thought you asked these just for the fun of it

How?

They each serve a different purpose.

Hero for ATX and people on a budget

Formula For extreme overclockers and gamers

Extreme for people who have money burning in their pocket

Gene for people on a budget and what a small pc

Impact for people who want a really small pc

I recommend the Hero. It's a great board with all the features a regular consumer needs and no more. But we need to know what's your budget too.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

How much do you have to spend?

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Hi guys I'm building a new system with a red and black theme so I was wondering which ROG board to get? Hero, Formula, Extreme or Gene?

take a look at mine for some ideas:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69246-my-finished-eyefinity-setup-with-290xs-updated-with-more-pics/

I cant help you without asking budget,requirements etc but im sure whatever ROG board you pick will be fine.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I recommend the Hero...

But wait!

Hmm...

Let me quote what @WoodenMarker have to say about the ROG motherboards.

The maximus motherboard of overbuilt.

Yes I disagree,but lets hear what he has to say about this.I am now mind-blown and confused now.

The weird thing is he is commenting on the Gene,not the Extreme.Since the gene is already overbuilt...

Maybe WoodenMarker will recommend the Asrock Z87 Killer or MSI Z87A GD65 Gaming instead?I dunno.

If you don't know if you need a ROG board or not, you don't need one. The reason I have a ROG board is because other matx boards for my chip at the time were nowhere near as good.

I recommend the Hero...

But wait!

Hmm...

Let me quote what @WoodenMarker have to say about the ROG motherboards.

Yes I disagree,but lets hear what he has to say about this.I am now mind-blown and confused now.

The weird thing is he is commenting on the Gene,not the Extreme.Since the gene is already overbuilt...

Maybe WoodenMarker will recommend the Asrock Z87 Killer or MSI Z87A GD65 Gaming instead?I dunno.

Not sure what you're saying. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Gene for people on a budget and what a small pc

I wouldn't say it's on a budget exactly.

But I feel like a Gryphon would be better suited for someone who wants Gene like things without paying $40 extra.

Unless you buy the armor thats a different story.

Not sure what you're saying.

I am trying to say that you may disagree on getting an ROG Board.So yeah.

I am trying to say that you may disagree on getting an ROG Board.So yeah.

Depends on what the OP wants. Performance is the same. All that there's to worry about are features and looks.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.