Repairing the revolting: MSI gaming laptop

I've got an oldish MSI gaming laptop, and I got it from work due to the fact that it didn't post, and had a couple bugs under the cover. Well, I didn't know what I was in for... Here are a couple photos of what I'm talking about....

IMG_20170125_182752_474.jpg

IMG_20170125_182803_015.jpg

I get a slight feeling that this is why the laptop didn't work. This is horrifying!

I've since cleaned the motherboard, gpu, and ram in the bathroom sink, and I'm going to do a second cleaning in rubbing alcohol. 

Update! IT LIVES!!!

Screenshot_20170125-193927.png

So I booted it up to the old user's HDDs, and I forgot the steam account :(

Anyway, while snooping through the HDD like a dick, it randomly shut off. So I turned it back on again, it was on for a bit, and then it turned off again.

And now it won't turn on at all. Thats it for today, I might revisit this thing tomorrow...

I will post updates as I make progress.

I never would have imagined such a thing could exist if I hadn't seen this... O.o

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I can imagine a review of that laptop from a while back:

"Pretty great with fantastic specs at a great price, decent battery life for a gaming laptop. However the experience is still, overall, buggy."

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I never would have imagined such a thing could exist if I hadn't seen this... O.o

Ask @Comic_Sans_MS

The dissasembly (which I was streaming) is about 1000x worse

oh man... This is why i never took electronics when I was trashing out apts 10 years ago.

How often do you see this?  haven't you posted some other "buggy" electronics?  *STRM beat me to it

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I can imagine a review of that laptop from a while back:

"Pretty great with fantastic specs at a great price, decent battery life for a gaming laptop. However the experience is still, overall, buggy."

or "strangely heavy for its size and smells oddly of a hot car grill in the summer" :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

oh man... This is why i never took electronics when I was trashing out apts 10 years ago.

How often do you see this?  haven't you posted some other "buggy" electronics?  *STRM beat me to it

Yeah I've seen this before, but nearly this bad

Ok there should be something like NFSW tag or something as some people can have heart attack after seeing this or at least put a spoiler tag (I am being serious)

5 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I've got an oldish MSI gaming laptop, and I got it from work due to the fact that it didn't post, and had a couple bugs under the cover. Well, I didn't know what I was in for... Here are a couple photos of what I'm talking about....

I get a slight feeling that this is why the laptop didn't work. This is horrifying!

I've since cleaned the motherboard, gpu, and ram in the bathroom sink, and I'm going to do a second cleaning in rubbing alcohol. 

I will post updates as I make progress. It tried to turn on before but didn't post. I can't imagine why...

sadly I've seen this way too many times, one person told me they don't know why the laptop overheats so much as a baby roach came out of it. 

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yeah I've seen this before, but nearly this bad

I saw many consoles, tv's, pc's with bugs and "residue" just all over.  That is just insane though

2 minutes ago, blackmage1134 said:

sadly I've seen this way too many times, one person told me they don't know why the laptop overheats so much as a baby roach came out of it. 

The worst part is the LAPTOP!  how many times has this happened while it's on someone's lap? :o  Nope, time to bomb the house...

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

use a de-bugger to solve that problem

(play after reading)

Best of myself(1000th post)

Vista

Core i5-8400

8GB DDR4

GTX 1050ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD
MSI H310M PRO-VD

EVGA 450BT

Cooler Master masterbox lite 3.1

Arctic Cat

Core 2 quad q8200

8GB DDR2 ECC

GTX 550ti

1TB 7200RPM HDD

Dell precision t3400 motherboard

22 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Ok there should be something like NFSW tag or something as some people can have heart attack after seeing this or at least put a spoiler tag (I am being serious)

at my parents' company there's this guy that has one of the first built in defibrilators in the world because he has serious heart issues. since then he "died" at work 3 times from a heart attack, after which the device shocks him back to life, and an ambulance (and the guy's doctor) is called automatically.

it's appareantly quite the experience :P

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

at my parents' company there's this guy that has one of the first built in defibrilators in the world because he has serious heart issues. since then he "died" at work 3 times from a heart attack, after which the device shocks him back to life, and an ambulance (and the guy's doctor) is called automatically.

it's appareantly quite the experience :P

Reminds me of my friend who keeps dying in L4D2 and we always have to carry a defib. Fun guy though, he was using a PS3 controller to play don't know why (on PC)

how ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Update! IT LIVES!!!

Anyway, while snooping through the HDD like a dick, it randomly shut off. So I turned it back on again, it was on for a bit, and then it turned off again.

And now it won't turn on at all. Thats it for today, I might revisit this thing tomorrow...

1 hour ago, W-L said:

Oh man I was eating... :/

I guess just soak it in lots and lots of alcohol give it a good scrub.

That didn't touch it, I scrubbed it for like 10 minutes in hot soapy water

8 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Update! IT LIVES!!!

OH SHIT

did it have any bugs ?

try to sell it and tell the guy the story and ask if it buggs him

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

OH SHIT

did it have any bugs ?

try to sell it and tell the guy the story and ask if it buggs him

Well... the bug right now is the part where it stopped working

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well... the bug right now is the part where it stopped working

bugger :(

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

The jokes man, I can't take it!

its bugging you aint it ?

tell us all about it at /r/bugmasters

1 minute ago, givingtnt said:

its bugging you aint it ?

I'm going to go eat ice cream and pretend that this didn't just happen.

By the way, the charging LED still lights, but no activity otherwise...