What is star citizen

fiberzs is dad
Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

Space sim + first person shooter + economy sim + IDK what else.

It is still in development.

38 minutes ago, bob345 said:

No, No you're not.

You just dont understand. Its not a matter of if the assets can be rendered in real time. There is SO much more work that goes to do motion control 3d than just setting up the camera and motion capture equipment and reciting a script. Those assets dont animate themselves. They dont debug themselves. And another thing, you are severely mistaken if you think they use "director mode" for videos like the one i posted. That would all be done in either lumberyard(cryengine) or 3ds max or equivalent. It seems to me like there is a sever misunderstanding on how development works.

I do believe I already asked you to provide your expert estimate. How much would you say such a video would cost you to make, provided you did not have to pay anything extra for the engine, assets, mocap, animation tech, editing, acting and writing?

If endlessly speculating on the level of my competence  is your idea of an answer to that, I have more interesting things to waste my time on. 

13 minutes ago, Corwin111 said:

I do believe I already asked you to provide your expert estimate. How much would you say such a video would cost you to make, provided you did not have to pay anything extra for the engine, assets, mocap, animation tech, editing, acting and writing?

If endlessly speculating on the level of my competence  is your idea of an answer to that, I have more interesting things to waste my time on. 

I do not know what equipment cig uses or how much they pay their employees so i will us an industry standard Cost estimate assuming all that is being payed for is labor and time. On average, your mid level production value 3d animation will cost you around $250 usd per second of finished video. Going by that, The 1:27 second video would have costed CIG Roughly $30,450. It ads up quick and i came up with that from the lower end prices of freelance animators. Like i said before. Its not just about having assets. Employees need to be paid, time needs to be taken in post production to edit and finish, and much more. It will end up costing even more when you include the "engine, assets, mocap, animation tech, editing, acting and writing" I really dont see what is so hard for you to grasp. You talk as if they can make videos like that for free.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

8 hours ago, bob345 said:

I do not know what equipment cig uses or how much they pay their employees so i will us an industry standard Cost estimate assuming all that is being payed for is labor and time. On average, your mid level production value 3d animation will cost you around $250 usd per second of finished video. Going by that, The 1:27 second video would have costed CIG Roughly $30,450. It ads up quick and i came up with that from the lower end prices of freelance animators. Like i said before. Its not just about having assets. Employees need to be paid, time needs to be taken in post production to edit and finish, and much more. It will end up costing even more when you include the "engine, assets, mocap, animation tech, editing, acting and writing" I really dont see what is so hard for you to grasp. You talk as if they can make videos like that for free.

Sooo all we're paying for is labor and time now? What if the labor is already in our employ and we are able to render this level of animation in real time? Leaving us only needing to debug the mocap. Or are you just thoroughly convinced that this is not in-game level footage? :D

19 hours ago, bob345 said:

What pisses me off is how they have lied constantly about progress, about how close they are to finishing sq42 and etc. Years go by and then they say they just now started working on major assets for sq42 and how the PU is almost complete aswell.

Not saying you're wrong here, i don't follow and see every message they ever released, but can you give me (or us) a source for that? Because i extremely doubt they said they almost finished SQ42 2 years ago. (you said years... means at least 2).

To hire more talent and to have many more qualified people to be working on it. That obviously never happened. CIG has hardly grown at all.

You backed way back in 2012 right? Thats when the campaign started, the hanger module wasn't even released back then. A module which was created by a dozen or so people. Are you saying CIG never grew from that? Because every person who's seen a few video's from this project can tell you you're wrong. Because there's at least 12 different people in almost all of them. In fact CIG has grown from those few people to 400 or so (or more, don't know exact numbers) people spread over 3 studios across the world. I don't know what's obvious to you, but to me this is obvious growth. They are also still growing right now....

With the over 100 million dollars the have gotten so far in their crowd sourcing campaign, we should be seeing so real progress. The sad thing is we are not.

its over 140 million now and we went from running around in a tiny hanger admiring our little ship to having a hanger, dog fighting and fps module and a persistent universe where you can play with other players on multicrew ships and doing basic missions. Again, i don't know what real progress is to you. But for me that is real progress. Every single patch we've seen so far has added and fixed things and shown real progress.

Yes i skipped the whole thing of the video's because other have obviously shown you you're wrong.

As i expected when i asked you for specifics (which you didn't really give us... but w/e) nothing about the complaints you have are actually true. The real problem you have with this project is that when you backed you probably thought it was like any other AAA game that's announced, "they're in a late alpha/early beta stage and i can play within a year or 2 max". So what you just failed to realize is that when they started the campaign they had NOTHING but maybe some video's or simple demo stuff with idea's of what they wanted to create. (i wasn't there when it was announced i didn't back until late 2013. So someone here can probably show/tell what they showed.)

You're like all the haters i've seen around the net so far, disappointed it's taking so long having no clue of how long game development actually takes, especially when the tools to make that game don't exist and you have to build them yourself before you can build the game you want to create.

I have no signature

In SC can I have a ship that I can coat in bacon, fly near a sun, and have solar roasted bacon sandwiches?

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

22 hours ago, Kierax said:

In SC can I have a ship that I can coat in bacon, fly near a sun, and have solar roasted bacon sandwiches?

Probably after release

On 27/01/2017 at 10:48 PM, Teddy07 said:

highly controversial but i say it anyways: It is a scam operation in my eyes

That's perfectly fine, I know people have that opinion. I'm just glad that there are people like you that don't scream and shout it constantly in every single piece of media that has even a minor link to Star Citizen :D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't mean they need to force their opinion on everyone else, it is up to each individual to be able to come to their own opinion.

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

On 1/28/2017 at 0:48 AM, Teddy07 said:

highly controversial but i say it anyways: It is a scam operation in my eyes

Could be. Could be.

Although, at this point, with all that has been accomplished, this would be the largest, least lucrative and most ass-backwards scam operation in history. If we assume that it is a scam, the amount of money that they have sunk into developing a "fake" game to the fidelity that we currently have at our finger tips to play around with, sunk millons into developing peocedural generation of planets to dwarf NMS, sunk millions into turning Lumberyard inside out and pretty much rewriting half of the damned thing from scratch, sunk millions into acquiring their own motion capture studio, sunk (presumably) millions into hiring A list actors, such as Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, and Gillian Anderson to go read a "fake" script... ALL in order to dupe people into believing they are developing a real game, is just completely batshit retarded. It would make CIG either the absolute worst scammers or the absolute best trolls in the history of entertainment! :D 

On 2/1/2017 at 7:18 AM, rentaspoon said:

Clearly your a fanboy that's sunk to much cash in to the game.

No he very much has a point. I've personally sunk no more into SC than it would cost to buy it at launch, and I seldom boot it up. they are spitting out TONS of money. to produce what they have made. from what ive seen the money put into citizencon isnt mentioned either. are they ahead of their money spent? Well of course they are. But if they are trying this as some scam they are doing nothing short of hemorrhaging money to make this scam work, and if it was a scam they would have been alot better off axing the  "project" and taking the money and running long before the point of hiring celebrity voice actors.

Sorry but claiming star citizen is a scam at this point is just silly. It isn't Now is money being utilized in the most optimal manner? that's another issue entirely. But if its a scam it is a very badly thought out one.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

On 2/5/2017 at 7:15 AM, Nexxus said:

No he very much has a point. I've personally sunk no more into SC than it would cost to buy it at launch, and I seldom boot it up. they are spitting out TONS of money. to produce what they have made. from what ive seen the money put into citizencon isnt mentioned either. are they ahead of their money spent? Well of course they are. But if they are trying this as some scam they are doing nothing short of hemorrhaging money to make this scam work, and if it was a scam they would have been alot better off axing the  "project" and taking the money and running long before the point of hiring celebrity voice actors.

Sorry but claiming star citizen is a scam at this point is just silly. It isn't Now is money being utilized in the most optimal manner? that's another issue entirely. But if its a scam it is a very badly thought out one.

Don't worry, Rentaspoon was being sarcastic. ;) 

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2017 at 6:26 PM, Corwin111 said:

Don't worry, Rentaspoon was being sarcastic. ;) 

I don't think it is a scam. The game is 18 months behind schedule (27 months if you count the initial estimates of a 20 million total budget). With the huge amount of money they raised (over 145 million so far) delays should be expected, as they can do a heck of a lot with that. That's more than 3x Horizon Zero Dawns Budget! 100 million more than Mass Effect: Andromeda. 57 million more than The Witcher III. So yep, delays are a given.

How they spent the money? I guaranty Hermitcrab and his wife are being paid an enormous salary, probably 1/3 of what was raised over the last 4+ years. If the money were allocated correctly the game would be done, and they would be making profits based on that, and investing in a new game property (or preparing the sequel).

The thing with something like this the game has to be released, and the money accounted for. As the "CEO" and I assume his wife is the "CFO" they can justify paying themselves 5 million or so per year ($10 million per year total) which would be the max of a public funded project, well close to the max which is 33% in the US. The rest needs to be spent on things related to the game.

Hopefully I am wrong, and he is taking a million or so per year for himself and his wife, but like I said, if that were the case, a game would already be out. Well, the only thing that makes me question the lack of scamming is the MMO portion, which as we know costs tons of money. GTAV spent almost 75 million extra because of the online play. Destiny sunk 170 into development then another 100 into a slush fund to keep adding on if initial sales and microtransactions did not pan out immediately (and they spent all of it) along with server maintenance (Which is expensive as heck for reliable servers that may have 100k people playing at once).

It looks great, it seems fishy, but I am hopeful. People should stop sueing for their money back though. Like that guy from California who got $2500 USD back because it was so far from it's promised release date.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

On 5/11/2017 at 5:30 PM, crzyces said:

If the money were allocated correctly the game would be done

LUL

On 5/11/2017 at 5:30 PM, crzyces said:

Like that guy from California who got $2500 USD back because it was so far from it's promised release date

That's chump change in the wonderous and wacky world of refunds.

Stay safe out there, kids

I only lurk... wait a sec-...

My only two contributions to society: SC Ship Guide / Squadron Logos

On 5/12/2017 at 3:30 AM, crzyces said:

I don't think it is a scam. The game is 18 months behind schedule (27 months if you count the initial estimates of a 20 million total budget). With the huge amount of money they raised (over 145 million so far) delays should be expected, as they can do a heck of a lot with that. That's more than 3x Horizon Zero Dawns Budget! 100 million more than Mass Effect: Andromeda. 57 million more than The Witcher III. So yep, delays are a given.

How they spent the money? I guaranty Hermitcrab and his wife are being paid an enormous salary, probably 1/3 of what was raised over the last 4+ years. If the money were allocated correctly the game would be done, and they would be making profits based on that, and investing in a new game property (or preparing the sequel).

The thing with something like this the game has to be released, and the money accounted for. As the "CEO" and I assume his wife is the "CFO" they can justify paying themselves 5 million or so per year ($10 million per year total) which would be the max of a public funded project, well close to the max which is 33% in the US. The rest needs to be spent on things related to the game.

Hopefully I am wrong, and he is taking a million or so per year for himself and his wife, but like I said, if that were the case, a game would already be out. Well, the only thing that makes me question the lack of scamming is the MMO portion, which as we know costs tons of money. GTAV spent almost 75 million extra because of the online play. Destiny sunk 170 into development then another 100 into a slush fund to keep adding on if initial sales and microtransactions did not pan out immediately (and they spent all of it) along with server maintenance (Which is expensive as heck for reliable servers that may have 100k people playing at once).

It looks great, it seems fishy, but I am hopeful. People should stop sueing for their money back though. Like that guy from California who got $2500 USD back because it was so far from it's promised release date.

I have known the man for years now. When I say he is being sarcastic, it's not a guess... usually. :P

As for you, Sir,  I am exhausted of arguing the same points over and over. Believe what you wish. 

I will only say this - the original schedule was for a 2 million game.  We are now making a 150 million game. Some people have trouble understanding what this entails and get refunds. Most don't. 

9 hours ago, Corwin111 said:

I have known the man for years now. When I say he is being sarcastic, it's not a guess... usually. :P

As for you, Sir,  I am exhausted of arguing the same points over and over. Believe what you wish. 

I will only say this - the original schedule was for a 2 million game.  We are now making a 150 million game. Some people have trouble understanding what this entails and get refunds. Most don't. 

Debate, sure, argue, you seem to mature for that kind of nonsense.

We can start with, he was expecting 2-4 million, and had investors lined up for up to 10(?) I believe. His wife said "Honey, we are going to raise at least $20 million. Watch". Whether that is true or embellishing, who cares, it sounds good and I'm sure she was supportive.

Yes, you can make a far better game with all that money (10-20 million compared to 149 or whatever they sit at as we speak; 147, 153, only they know the exact number).

I do think they are being a little less than totally transparent with how the money is being spent. I also believe the project leads, with him at the helm deserve huge salaries. None of this &70k a year lead design team crap that gives us sub-par content and performance.

I hope this game comes out this year, though I do think they should have had a good working model done by now. I hope it is great (What the heck would I want to throw $60+ dollars at something in a genre incredibly lacking UNLESS you have a bunch of consistent friends to play with right off the bat; I don't have the patience to jump in MMO's and get mugged for my first 10 hours as none of my friends play MMO's, they are all grown ups, who grew up on consoles, never caught the PC bug, and stick with Madden, NHL, NBA 2K, and the occasional AAA adventure game if it features a hero they know (Like the Batman series). Heh, or they play phone games! That makes me nuts, when people say "How can you play games 15 hours a week (my 7 year old son plays to, so he's not being ignored so I can play) when they are glued to their phones 50 hours a week. Last year, I'm at a small birthday party at a waterpark. 7 grown ups, 15 kids. I was the only parent who spent more than 50% of the time with them, as the others were in the shade, on their phones, playing whatever. Uugghh that drives me nuts. K, getting to off topic here).

Like I said, I hope it releases sooner rather than later. Which means I hope it is done when it hits the digital/shelves, not that they release a half finished pile of "eh" to build on. I want a pile of "Are you kidding me? This is incredible" for them to add to, and I want to be saying it 35 hours in, not 3 hours in, as graphics can always give you the initial "Wow". I HOPE it's a game that after release has me wanting to buy DLC, as opposed to the "Great, I am being nickled and dimed to keep up with rich kids who don't play as often, but have Mom and Dad's card".

So, I'm rooting for it. I hope they pull it off. I hope they get paid well for it. I hope the universe is as rich and deep as every other fan. I HOPE I'm not wrong.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

11 hours ago, crzyces said:

Debate, sure, argue, you seem to mature for that kind of nonsense.

We can start with, he was expecting 2-4 million, and had investors lined up for up to 10(?) I believe. His wife said "Honey, we are going to raise at least $20 million. Watch". Whether that is true or embellishing, who cares, it sounds good and I'm sure she was supportive.

Yes, you can make a far better game with all that money (10-20 million compared to 149 or whatever they sit at as we speak; 147, 153, only they know the exact number).

I do think they are being a little less than totally transparent with how the money is being spent. I also believe the project leads, with him at the helm deserve huge salaries. None of this &70k a year lead design team crap that gives us sub-par content and performance.

I hope this game comes out this year, though I do think they should have had a good working model done by now. I hope it is great (What the heck would I want to throw $60+ dollars at something in a genre incredibly lacking UNLESS you have a bunch of consistent friends to play with right off the bat; I don't have the patience to jump in MMO's and get mugged for my first 10 hours as none of my friends play MMO's, they are all grown ups, who grew up on consoles, never caught the PC bug, and stick with Madden, NHL, NBA 2K, and the occasional AAA adventure game if it features a hero they know (Like the Batman series). Heh, or they play phone games! That makes me nuts, when people say "How can you play games 15 hours a week (my 7 year old son plays to, so he's not being ignored so I can play) when they are glued to their phones 50 hours a week. Last year, I'm at a small birthday party at a waterpark. 7 grown ups, 15 kids. I was the only parent who spent more than 50% of the time with them, as the others were in the shade, on their phones, playing whatever. Uugghh that drives me nuts. K, getting to off topic here).

Like I said, I hope it releases sooner rather than later. Which means I hope it is done when it hits the digital/shelves, not that they release a half finished pile of "eh" to build on. I want a pile of "Are you kidding me? This is incredible" for them to add to, and I want to be saying it 35 hours in, not 3 hours in, as graphics can always give you the initial "Wow". I HOPE it's a game that after release has me wanting to buy DLC, as opposed to the "Great, I am being nickled and dimed to keep up with rich kids who don't play as often, but have Mom and Dad's card".

So, I'm rooting for it. I hope they pull it off. I hope they get paid well for it. I hope the universe is as rich and deep as every other fan. I HOPE I'm not wrong.

words, things

From what I am understanding, IF this game is run on a single shard and IF it is a persistent universe then it is basically Eve Online + a FPS mode with modern graphics. Is this a correct assumption of the game?

9 hours ago, Lwizzit said:

From what I am understanding, IF this game is run on a single shard and IF it is a persistent universe then it is basically Eve Online + a FPS mode with modern graphics. Is this a correct assumption of the game?

Yeah, sort of. 

Plus life sized, semi-procedurally generated, persistent planets and moons that you can fully explore and build outposts and settlements on, which are also seeded with persistent and dynamic missions and landing zones.

Plus huge ass multi-crew ships and stations.

We already, regularly get lost in the smaller big ships that are currently available in the alpha.

22 hours ago, Corwin111 said:

Yeah, sort of. 

Plus life sized, semi-procedurally generated, persistent planets and moons that you can fully explore and build outposts and settlements on, which are also seeded with persistent and dynamic missions and landing zones.

Plus huge ass multi-crew ships and stations.

We already, regularly get lost in the smaller big ships that are currently available in the alpha.

Lagswitcher.