Intel 7700K - Complacent CPU or Ryzen Killer?

LinusTech
1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

I did bro, but if the CPU decodes it, I can just record the decoded stream onto my monitor right?

Little background:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2908089/all-about-playready-30-microsofts-secret-plan-to-lock-down-4k-movies-to-your-pc.html

all-new monitor and cables that support both HDMI 2.0 and the new HDCP 2.2 copy-protection standard—which, chances are, none of your existing hardware does.

So capture cards are busted....

Kind of let down by this, but not wholly surprised.  Been looking for a new CPU for my 980Ti and was hoping that the 7700k would have more surprises up its sleeve.  Gonna wait for Ryzen to drop to see if prices drop (hah), but I still might get this just because I'm tired of my CPU heavy games starting to chug (relatively), want to get nvme M.2 storage, PCI-E 3.0, and just kinda retire my old P68 board.

Just kinda sucks to 'upgrade' from a CPU I absolutely love (2600k) to something I'm really meh about (7700k).

Or maybe I'll just sell my 980Ti (I have a perspective buyer) and put that towards a 1080Ti....or just buy some other fun stuff (Mtg, another 27" 1440p monitor, stuff for my car).

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

Talks about 5-7% increase in performance between Skylake and Kaby Lake while Kaby Lake CPU is overclocked 6.52% higher than the Skylake CPU....
in other words there is ZERO increase in performance from Skylake to Kaby Lake, gg Intel...gg xD

Well, Kaby Lake overclocks higher. How is that not performance increase? Good luck finding 6700Ks that do 5 GHz (or even 4.9).

Isn't Kaby Lake using something that Intel calls FinFet Plus, enabling the higher clocks. Nothing significant, but I think it was false when you stressed that they'd be using the *exact* same manufacturing process as with Skylake.

Saying Intel needs to be 'taking down/killing/whatever' the unreleased Ryzen is silly. It's not released and will be at best as fast as Kaby Lake on average while offering cheaper 6 and 8 core options, but it's not like Intel can't lower their prices. Unlike AMD, they still have their own fabs.

8 hours ago, Levis95l said:

Well, Kaby Lake overclocks higher. How is that not performance increase? Good luck finding 6700Ks that do 5 GHz (or even 4.9).

You talk as if it's guaranteed to over clock higher lol. It's not. You will always have the silicon lottery. We have no idea on what the average overclock for these chips will be because they're too new. It's entirely possible that the reviewers got cherry picked CPUs too.

I think I will wait for Skylake-X and X299-chipset and see if it is worth to replace my i7-2600K and P67 platform. The relatively minimal performance gain from Sandy Bridge to Kaby Lake does not justify spending the money now.

I can't see any gain whatsoever in real life between my i7 6700 vs the i7 7700, identical cache, same lithography, 0,2ghz higher core clock? I mean I suppose I should be glad that considering here in my country the 7700 is being shipped exactly 100 US Dollars more expansive than what I paid for my brand new 6700 I am literally losing nothing for rushing up my new pc for the new year turning.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Honestly, it's not the mediocre performance increase that leaves the bad taste in my mouth, it's the scumbag deal between Microsoft, Intel and Netflix for 4k streaming that's disgusting.

1 hour ago, Mooshi said:

Honestly, it's not the mediocre performance increase that leaves the bad taste in my mouth, it's the scumbag deal between Microsoft, Intel and Netflix for 4k streaming that's disgusting.

While i do agree with you i think in this case netflix isnt the one we  should blame, its the media industry mafia...

/EDIT

Look at the bright side, we wont have to change CPU's that often anymore... :D

Edited by jagdtigger

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

While i do agree with you i think in this case netflix isnt the one we  should blame, its the media industry mafia..

And the mafia does not recognize, that they are riding a dead horse for years. And they are not willing to dismount from that dead (DRM/contentprotection-)horse. They lost already. I hope that that WIntelFlix-conglomerate does not have any success. Brace yourselfs, dark times are coming then.

I'm actually happy if I don't need to change CPU hardware often. Means I have more budget to put towards my GPU! >:D

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

1 hour ago, visitor2015 said:

And the mafia does not recognize, that they are riding a dead horse for years. And they are not willing to dismount from that dead (DRM/contentprotection-)horse. They lost already. I hope that that WIntelFlix-conglomerate does not have any success. Brace yourselfs, dark times are coming then.

Microsoft has a fundamental understanding that too much DRM = pissed off consumers, and I think it's reasonable that Microsoft would want 4K Netflix playback on any Windows 10 system with capable hardware, but were strong armed out of it. It could win over some holdouts, and it would keep current Win 10 users happy (and thus more likely to purchase a Microsoft OS again).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 01/05/2017 at 7:47 PM, imreloadin said:

You talk as if it's guaranteed to over clock higher lol. It's not. You will always have the silicon lottery. We have no idea on what the average overclock for these chips will be because they're too new. It's entirely possible that the reviewers got cherry picked CPUs too.

I don't say overclock is ever guaranteed. But the default clock is higher with Kaby Lake - guaranteed. And based on all the reviews there's more overclocking headroom too, that's why I mentioned that 5 GHz number. The increase in base clock would be meaningless if the limits during overclocking would remain the same.

Now, of course it's possible that the review samples are cherry picked. But at this point there's nothing to suggest that.

One thing I don't quite get it is why does Intel label review samples as "Classified" and not just the processors name? all you have to do is plug it in the motherboard and fire it up to see what CPU it is and on every review channel people will write what CPU it is on it any ways, is this solely to avoid major issues with the mail service?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

20 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

One thing I don't quite get it is why does Intel label review samples as "Classified" and not just the processors name? all you have to do is plug it in the motherboard and fire it up to see what CPU it is and on every review channel people will write what CPU it is on it any ways, is this solely to avoid major issues with the mail service?

They are engineering samples, the special IHS has a number on it that is associated with the person/company the ES was sent to. If Intel discovers that someone else owns the ES whether it was gifted or sold, the original recipient is likely to have a lawsuit against them.

EDIT: Better to say they can be either engineering or review samples.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

They are engineering samples, the special IHS has a number on it that is associated with the person/company the ES was sent to. If Intel discovers that someone else owns the ES whether it was gifted or sold, the original recipient is likely to have a lawsuit against them.

I see so its for better control so these don't end up where they don't belong, but say if Linus himself wanted to build his personal rig using one of these CPU, that'd be fine right?

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

I see so its for better control so these don't end up where they don't belong, but say if Linus himself wanted to build his personal rig using one of these CPU, that'd be fine right?

Yeah as long as it the person who received is in possession, they can use it for whatever. I'm pretty sure JayzTwoCents CPU that is in his own rig is a sample CPU as well.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Honestly, I think that Intel has created quite possibly the biggest stalemate in the CPU industry. In all seriousness - I see no differences between Kaby Lake and Skylake other than faster base clock speeds. A Skylake chip can run as fast as a Kaby Lake chip with a mild overclock. I mean, come on. I bought an i5-6600k the day before Kaby Lake came out. I am a little bummed out, but I am just going to wait for Cannonlake to come out and upgrade then.

That's just my opinion though. I think AMD has something special for us and I look to see team red take the CPU industry again.

COMIC SANS MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND

Lots of power in a tiny package

[Project Z] Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 | Liquid cooled Intel CORE i5-6600k @ 4.5 GHz | nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2666 | Corsair RM650x | DIYPC DIY-F2-O

6 hours ago, cometic said:

Honestly, I think that Intel has created quite possibly the biggest stalemate in the CPU industry. In all seriousness - I see no differences between Kaby Lake and Skylake other than faster base clock speeds. A Skylake chip can run as fast as a Kaby Lake chip with a mild overclock. I mean, come on. I bought an i5-6600k the day before Kaby Lake came out. I am a little bummed out, but I am just going to wait for Cannonlake to come out and upgrade then.

That's just my opinion though. I think AMD has something special for us and I look to see team red take the CPU industry again.

It wont worth it IMHO. It will have some very marginal improvements just like the ones after 4th gen... Just get a very good cooler and apply some hardcore OC.

Edited by jagdtigger

With such marginal improvements both my Skylake systems will see me through another couple of years, and my Intel 6500 in my HTPC will get my 6700K when I upgrade my main system to a X99 system for content creation/better workflow at a later date. At that later date I'm sure that Intel will surly have Optane and 4K HDR on the 2011-3 and X99 chipsets.

For a 300mhz improvement, I see no real improvement. And as for the 4K DRM locking out thing, I can see governments being involved to stop companies operating as what is essentially a cartel in my eyes.

As it is, I'm sure that AMD are just about to catch up and kick Intel right in the balls with Ryzen. AMD are genuinely looking as if they are a good alternative at the moment on the CPU front. Lets see what the next 18 months look like, as it will be telling for the consumer end of things, might be like the early to mid 00s for me where I switched to AMD as they were better for Intel for what I needed at that moment in time.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

@cometic Honestly, I'd wait at least 4 more processor generations before considering any need to upgrade the CPU. Kabylake is about a 5% increase from Skylake, where as historically it would've been closer to a 20% increase. 

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 5:11 PM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Yeah as long as it the person who received is in possession, they can use it for whatever.

Once the production CPUs come out, Intel doesn't care what reviewers do with their "engineering" samples.

I'm pretty sure JayzTwoCents also gave a sample CPU to CoconutMonkey for his birthday build.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.