Am I being stupid?

DiscussionAm I being stupid? (self.pcmasterrace)

submitted 3 minutes ago by tezza1992

I have a 6 core 5930K at the moment, I just really use my machine for gaming, I fancy selling the CPU and board and getting an I7 7700K and new motherboard board because I have essentially Haswell cores. You think its worth the upgrade for that better single threaded performance?

About as worth it as doing several years behind bars for stealing $100 from a convenience store.  I personally wouldn't bother since all the effort required outweighs the return. 

Yes,

you are.

A i7 7700k will likely give you a preformance bump from 0fps to 3fps in games.

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

Wait a while until you see benchmarks of the 7700k in the games you play and compare it to your current CPU (comparing as similar build as possible), then you'll have real life proof if it will make a difference or not.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

8 minutes ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Yes,

you are.

A i7 7700k will likely give you a preformance bump from 0fps to 3fps in games.

A lot more than that.

Go look of benchmarks of a 6700k vs a 5820k (almost the same as the 5930k) and see the big difference.

Then imagine double the difference, because the 7700k is supposed to be that much better than the 6700k.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

A lot more than that.

Go look of benchmarks of a 6700k vs a 5820k (almost the same as the 5930k) and see the big difference.

Then imagine double the difference, because the 7700k is supposed to be that much better than the 6700k.

This guy is using the CPU just for gaming. Assuming he/she has a decent GPU, the CPU doesn't bottleneck games that much.

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

Just now, somerandomguy12 said:

This guy is using the CPU just for gaming. Assuming he/she has a decent GPU, the CPU doesn't bottleneck games that much.

Again, you need to learn your benchmarks.

There is a very significant difference between CPU architectures, even when you have a powerful GPU.

Both the CPU and the GPU contribute to performance, not just one or the other like in a bottleneck situation.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Again, you need to learn your benchmarks.

There is a very significant difference between CPU architectures, even when you have a powerful GPU.

Both the CPU and the GPU contribute to performance, not just one or the other like in a bottleneck situation.

Wow, that is shocking! I guess I do. Thanks for the info.

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

XFX TS 650W PSU

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

i would say no, its not going to be that much of a differance, it will be better but not in a major way

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

You'd see a benefit.

I'd personally downgrade your X99 to Kaby or Skylake and spend that extra money on upgrading your GPU perhaps.

i7 5960X 4.5GHz @ 1.18v | ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 | HyperX Predator 8x4GB 3000MHz | Titan X (Maxwell) 1480MHz/4000MHz @ 1.3v | ASUS PG27AQ

Corsair K95 RGB - MX Blue | Logitech G402 | EVGA G2 Supernova 850w

29 minutes ago, Enderman said:

A lot more than that.

The difference between the 6700k and the 7700k isn't too much, the only difference is clock speed.Although the 6600k is a decent improvement over the  5820k

---Me Rig---

-CPU- 

Intel i7-6700K

-GPU- 

Gigabyte RX 5600XT OC 6GB

-STORAGE- 

1x Western Digital 1TB HDD

1x Samsung M.2 1TB SSD

1x Crucial 275GB MX300 SSD

-RAM- 

Team Group 2 x 8GB DDR4 2400mHZ

-PSU- 

Corsair CX-M Series CX650M 

-MOBO- 

Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 6

-CASE-

Phanteks P400S Satin Black TG Edition

-PERIPHERALS-

Logitech g502 RGB and Blackwidow Elite.

-PART PICKER URL-

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Jf9tbj

Have a Nice Day, Give us a Thumbs up if I helped you, Why Not?

1 hour ago, KillerGamingBro said:

The difference between the 6700k and the 7700k isn't too much, the only difference is clock speed.Although the 6600k is a decent improvement over the  5820k

Based on the leaked benchmarks it will be as much better than the 6700k as the 6700k is better than the 4790k.

Spoiler