Skype explains why third-party apps and accessories will die in December

Ethnod

Ok so they have, for some reason, decided that Skype is good enough and now they are going to shift over to mobile... Because their product is so perfect at this stage in its development? How can they not fix what they have done so far and THEN move onto new ventures?

skype-killing-old-api.jpg

Source:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/02/skype-killing-old-api/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

They just want to improve sound quality... I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Gonna make it harder to mod, therefore it will make the Skype IP Exploit extinct. (Until someone codes another one the next day of the new skype release)

They just want to improve sound quality... I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Gonna make it harder to mod, therefore it will make the Skype IP Exploit extinct. (Until someone codes another one the next day of the new skype release)

They have done nothing but DECREASE quality since being purchased by Microsoft.

I can't even use skype it crashes every time I try.

Plus IP issues.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

So there wont be skype for desktop anymore? Im confuzed

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So perfect? And what about the IP exploit?

Microsoft said it was fixed so it must be fixed

Ehhh... they have not managed that in the last 2 years why would they start now. Ok Skype was going down hill waaaay before MS got their hands on it but its gotten to the point now where I cant use it. My mother lives in another country and we used it all the time... but in the last 2 years its a disaster. She upgraded her broadband there 2 weeks ago and nothing, no change. So we are using Viber now :/

There will be they are just changing the Api and recoding some stuff so its more mobile friendly and easier to code for mobile... but my issue is that its shit on Desktop and shit on mobile so if you are going to overhall it the main goal should not be mobile it should be overhall to make it all work better and update code to ensure "we move forward with a better platform" or some other crap like that. 
Nope, as usual MS are adding functionality to an unfinished, buggy and flawed program that will be untested and be a nightmare for everyone
Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

So?

I dont' see the problem in any of this.

We have ICQ (ah memories.. well it's up and running!), we have Yahoo IM, Jabber/Google Talk, Viber, and much more, and I am sure others will come as well.

So we will just change, and voila, done, end of story. It's not like it's the first time we changed IM networks. And we changed for the same of changing, not even any valid reason. Remember when people switch from ICQ to MSN? MSN wasn't really better than ICQ, it was the same thing.

So?

I dont' see the problem in any of this.

We have ICQ (ah memories.. well it's up and running!), we have Yahoo IM, Jabber/Google Talk, Viber, and much more, and I am sure others will come as well.

So we will just change, and voila, done, end of story. It's not like it's the first time we changed IM networks. And we changed for the same of changing, not even any valid reason. Remember when people switch from ICQ to MSN? MSN wasn't really better than ICQ, it was the same thing.

Well you have a point but atm what is out there that is actually good and something that I can get my mother, father and other random family members to use? something that has text chat, voice chat and video chat?

Hope they are doing this to improve support and fix security issues.

Err... mgsstar meet Microsoft, Microsoft meet mgsstar. So Microsoft, are you going to improve support and fix security issues?? ... I'm sorry I dont understand the question, we have all this "functionality" to add to Skype. Plus it has to be integrated into all of our other programs and OS's AND we have all these "ideas" of stuff that you "need". I'm sure someone will get to that stuff "soon"...

PS: Sarcasm directed at MS not u btw ;)

Google has a video chat service, Skype like. And you can do video chat in group for no additional cost, where as for Skype you need to pay extra for (always been like this).

Google has a video chat service, Skype like. And you can do video chat in group for no additional cost, where as for Skype you need to pay extra for (always been like this).

Is there a voice only chat though? I've used hangouts ages ago but it had video on straight away, not sure I could turn it off

There will still be Skype for desktop, just probably no browser plugins to highlight phone numbers as hyperlinks, so clicking on the phone number would automatically call it in Skype.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Well, Skype was good back in the day. Nowadays I prefer other applications. Now that Skype will be probably dying off to a new service, I can only see this as a benefit.

And if Skype vanishes forever on the Desktop environment, I'm glad my stubborn friends will be drifting into more gaming oriented communication services.

Well better late than never.. Frankly speaking i knw Skype has its Disadvantages but i use it on a regular basis.. well becuase everyone uses it and now that they want to move it to the mobile side.. what i would say isss

Better Late than Never

They are just changing the programming to make it more compatible with Mobile devices and update the legacy API still in use

I just hope they will have a smooth transition as i really like Skype :)