best gaming headset?

lhikary

Speaking as someone that is using 300 dollar headphones and an external DAC.

Get a bloody headset if that's the sort of price range you're looking for. Seriously people, telling someone to instead get a pair of headphones and a seperate mic is a terrible suggestion, it is just more expensive if you want to get an actual improvement on audio quality. And frankly modmics might sound decent, they break WAY too easily. These are different products for differnt purposes and both have their place. There is no use in being elitists.

Now for that price range I have used the Roccat, which is pretty good but does not have as good a sound quality as the Corsair Vengeance 1500s, which would be my personal recommendation for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826816029&Tpk=corsair%20vengeance%201500

If you DO want to spend more than a hundred bucks, then consider getting a set of audio focused headphones with a mic. Like the Sennheiser 280 Pro , Very good pair for the pricing there.

Most anyone can get equivalent or better sounding headphones than any headset at a lower price, even after factoring in the cost of a mic. Add in the reality that most headsets aren't designed to last much longer than their warranty period and it starts to make less and less sense to spend money on a typical gaming headset.

Most anyone can get equivalent or better sounding headphones than any headset at a lower price, even after factoring in the cost of a mic. Add in the reality that most headsets aren't designed to last much longer than their warranty period and it starts to make less and less sense to spend money on a typical gaming headset.

the $20 monoprice 8323 headphone is pretty much the same sound as I hear coming out of my corsair vengeance 2000 

what do u suggest for a gaming headphone guys?

will it have 5.1 suuround? even if its digital its ok

thanks

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

sennheiser 363d - bliss,

thats a headset

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

If you want a headset then the Sennheiser PC360's are the way to go. If you are good with headphones and seperate microphone your options open up. 

what do u suggest for a gaming headphone guys?

will it have 5.1 suuround? even if its digital its ok

thanks

Pioneer SE-A1000 is a great choice for under a hundred bucks.

jathor, on 02 Nov 2013 - 6:01 PM, said:snapback.png

sennheiser 363d - bliss,

thats a headset

It's the only good sounding headset - they use the same drivers as the HD 558.

Pioneer SE-A1000 is a great choice for under a hundred bucks.

It's the only good sounding headset - they use the same drivers as the HD 558.

what bout surround sound gaming?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-Surround/dp/B003VANOFY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383467889&sr=8-3&keywords=Razer+Tiamat+7.1

If your'e going to use them for strictly fps gaming, then I've heard it doesn't get any better than the ad700 or the ad700x. 

CPU: Intel i7-3770k at 4.8Ghz  CPU Cooling: 320mm UT60  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD55  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 2133Mhz (2x8GB)  SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB  HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Green  GPU: EVGA GTX 780 x2  Sound Card: Creative Recon3D  PSU: Raidmax RX-1000AE 1000W  Case: Arc Midi R2  Monitor: Benq XL2420T at 129Hz  OS: W8 64Bit  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate  Mouse: Logitech MX518  Mousepad: Steelseries QCK+  Headset: Turtlebeach X12 (Temp.)

Multi-driver headsets are a gimmick at best. I'd like to think true-surround headphones of good build would be nice, but the reality of economics doesn't show it in the cards.

You can get virtual surround for any stereo headphones/headset with Razer Surround if you wanted.

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

The Roccat one has seperate smaller drivers (speakers) in the cups to represent directions that offer you positional audio in games,

That is actually worse for positional audio. The brain calculates the position of a sound based on the volume difference and timing difference between the left and right ear. If you have a sound that is played from the the right rear speaker and there is no sound for the left ear (because it is surround headset not virtual stereo) then the brain will not be able to interpret a position for that sound. Essentially the ears work exactly like the eyes, if you cover one eye you will lose depth perception. If you have multiple speakers for each ear, then you lose positional auditory perception. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Surround sound gaming is a gimmick really. The best for positional audio is a very well optimized set of stereo headphones, Mr. Moose's post is spot on really.

The best Headphones I know of for positional audio are the

Sennheiser HD 558

And the Audio Technica AD700(x)

The sennheisers are probably sound better but the AD700s cost a lot less.

But to answer the original question the best gaming headset is no gaming headset.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

That is actually worse for positional audio. The brain calculates the position of a sound based on the volume difference and timing difference between the left and right ear. If you have a sound that is played from the the right rear speaker and there is no sound for the left ear (because it is surround headset not virtual stereo) then the brain will not be able to interpret a position for that sound. Essentially the ears work exactly like the eyes, if you cover one eye you will lose depth perception. If you have multiple speakers for each ear, then you lose positional auditory perception. 

If they actually worked like that that would be true, but they don't at all. Roccat designers aren't actually stupid :P

They work pretty damn well for positional audio.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

If they actually worked like that that would be true, but they don't at all. Roccat designers aren't actually stupid :P

They work pretty damn well for positional audio.

They're not stupid, but most of their customers are, good headphones work better for positional audio.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They're not their.

BASTARD!  :P    A small oversight.

BASTARD!  :P    A small oversight.

HAHA! Such a minor quibble allows me to claim moral victory! :P

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

While looking for a website that explains this better than I can I found this article,  while not important to the conversation is incredibly interesting and shows just how important it is for the brain to receive information from both ears. The graph on the first page tables results that show there is no visual adjustments when information is only presented to one ear or not at all.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21408078

• 8 months later...

Real headphones and a mic will crush any gaming headset.

At this point, I don't give two cents about the actual build or audio quality. This is because every single headphone/headset I have tried are all extremely uncomfortable

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

At this point, I don't give two cents about the actual build or audio quality. This is because every single headphone/headset I have tried are all extremely uncomfortable

I currently own a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s, but I did upgrade from the 558s. The 558s were very comfortable, and my 650s are even more so. Granted my 650s were ~$500 USD, my 558s were only about $150 ($122 on Amazon right now). Headphones under $50 are probably not going to be very comfortable without sacrificing something, but you can definitely get headphones for about the price of a gaming headset that are comfortable.

Spoiler