4D Printing May Bolster Arsenal of US Army

Youbetternot

Yes, I said it 4D printing. The US army research office is giving $855,000 to three universities to make 4D objects. I think this very cool we will see 4D printing, technology never stop to amaze. 4D printing is which is the ability to 3D-print objects that can change their shape or appearance over time (the fourth dimension).

4D-printed-cube.jpg?1383334398

4D printing created this cube, which self-assembled once submerged in water.

The 3D printing revolution shows no signs of letting up, and now has made its way on to the next dimension. 

The U.S. Army Research Office has awarded $855,000 to three universities to make advances in 4D printing, which is the ability to 3D-print objects that can change their shape or appearance over time (the fourth dimension), or in response to some condition. Potential uses for the technology are endless, but ideas that have been floated include camouflage that can change color to match its surroundings and weapons that can assemble themselves.

"Rather than construct a static material or one that simply changes its shape, we're proposing the development of adaptive, biomimetic composites that re-program their shape, properties or functionality on demand, based upon external stimuli," said Anna Balazs, a researcher at Harvard, in a statement. The U.S. Army awarded additional 4D-printing grants to scientists at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of Illinois.

Research in this project will concentrate on 4D-printing materials at the microscopic scale. Other researchers have shown they can 4D-print larger objects like self-assembling cubes and other shapes.

One of the limitations of 3D printing, wherein a printer lays down successive layers of material like plastic to create objects as diverse as guns and toys, is that assembly is often required. But 4D printing offers the ability to make things that literally pull themselves together.

source: http://news.yahoo.com/4d-printing-may-bolster-arsenal-us-army-194155460.html

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Slightly OT, but seems to me that the term 'dimension' is not well understood by whoever has named this '4D'

lol totally! maybe he reffered to the time dimension. Thats would be my guess.

<<their shape or appearance over time>>

trolling with french '' ''

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

i could have sworn i read something about them not even being sure a 4th dimension exists? correct me if i'm wrong though

i could have sworn i read something about them not even being sure a 4th dimension exists? correct me if i'm wrong though

Many people think of the 4th dimension to be time. Either way, this is not a 4D printer...

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Many people think of the 4th dimension to be time. Either way, this is not a 4D printer...

that's for sure

Saying it can print the 4th dimension of time implies it can print time. Now that, would be awesome.

sysloc

Only 4D? I can print a 7D picture and upload it in only .02 nanoseconds with my 9960x 22 core CPU and my 2TB of 1.3Thrz RAM

Awesome to hear. Hopefully 4D printing will be around whenever 3D printing becomes more of a thing and is more affordable. Then a few years after that, 4D printing should be affordable for common people.

JjCLdhk.gif

COMIC SANS

So proteins are 4D? Who would have thought. Seriously though the 4D naming thing is stupid. It should be called something like self-assembling/changing 3D print.