Asus to reveal thinnest GTX1080 laptop?

NumLock21
11 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

gtx1080 that throttles to gtx1060 speed because thin yay

I take it you see it too? That was my exact guess too, throttling to GTX 1060 speeds. Yet somehow I am wrong for not "knowing gaming laptop market and design/development of laptops". Was completely unaware I needed to be an expert in that field to see that this laptop's design is awful. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

4 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I take it you see it too? That was my exact guess too, throttling to GTX 1060 speeds. Yet somehow I am wrong for not "knowing gaming laptop market and design/development of laptops". Was completely unaware I needed to be an expert in that field to see that this laptop's design is awful. 

yeah, from what i can tell if anyone put a 150w+ gpu in a laptop that isn't a inch or two thick or has a magic cooling device, then it throttles like a bitch, is super loud and performs worse than if they just put a slower gpu in to start with. Also worse battery life and the kb and exhaust vents are 8 billion degrees. i suppose with this one the kb wont get hot because its well out the way, but by moving the kb there is now nowhere the rest your hands. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

I have a better understanding than you'd like to believe. I repair laptops for a living, and have done so since my early teen years. I also understand thermals more than most, being an ITX enthusiast. As for "understanding the laptop market", it seems more people in this thread agree with me, than most disagree. Countless of others hate the design, and I am certain anyone that has ever used a laptop this thin, knows you physically cannot cool mid grade components, let alone high-end on something this small. It's going to have to be a vapor chamber, mark my words, and even then, it still won't be enough. I've seen the internals of countless "high end gaming laptops" and believe me, they use robust cooling solutions on hardware with less thermal dissipation required, and do so at nearly 3-4 times the thickness.

People that are in the market for gaming laptops simply do not understand hardware enough to know what they want. They think they NEED a GTX 1080 for gaming on the go, but fail to understand how pixel density works, and that they can easily have a lower resolution on a smaller screen, and drive it a GPU half as powerful, without compromising on framerates. 

I've been testing Skylake's Iris 540 Pro, which isn't even their best iGPU SKU, and believe me, it's pretty capable of driving 720p even in AAA titles at medium-high. That's at a 15w package(CPU+GPU) TDP. Imagine what a dedicated 35w GPU (Pascal GT x40/50, or AMD Polaris variant) can do. Imagine what Intel's flagship GT4e's can do. Lower power consumption while still providing a worthy gaming experience, without the worthless heat. Congratulations, you have a 4k display on a 15.6 inch screen, your PPI is 282, more than three times that of a 24 inch 1080p desktop panel (91.8PPI). 

Feel free to question my understanding all you want, but go look at the vast majority of gaming laptop reviews. Tell me battery life and heat isn't the main complaint of these machines, and then tell me it's okay to take the mobility out of a mobile device for the sake of performance. I'll tell you to get a desktop.

How can you argue battery life? When you are doing anything but gaming the gtx is turned off and the laptop has normal 6h battery. No one expects to game on battery life.

What if i dont want to play AAA games on medium details with "okey" framerate. What if i wanna come home from work, plug my 4k 27" monitor in and play some Overwatch on nice 60fps? It can throttle by 30% it will still be stronger then any intel igpu. And tomorrow morning when i go back to work i dont need to carry an 5cm beast in my backpack. I use my laptop for gaming and business so I need it to look nice, slim and professional using a sleek skin and be a beast in the sack at the same time. I cant w8 for this laptop to come out so i can grab it.

MAIN BUILD!

Looks like a old Amiga keyboard.. except worst. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 minute ago, MilitantCro said:

How can you argue battery life? When you are doing anything but gaming the gtx is turned off and the laptop has normal 6h battery. No one expects to game on battery life.

What if i dont want to play AAA games on medium details with "okey" framerate. What if i wanna come home from work, plug my 4k 27" monitor in and play some Overwatch on nice 60fps? It can throttle by 30% it will still be stronger then any intel igpu. And tomorrow morning when i go back to work i dont need to carry an 5cm beast in my backpack. I use my laptop for gaming and business so I need it to look nice, slim and professional using a sleek skin and be a beast in the sack at the same time. I cant w8 for this laptop to come out so i can grab it.

Now I understand the irony. You spoke as if I didn't understand gaming laptops, but it's clear you've never owned one. Ignoring the completely awful Nvidia Optimus (the feature you speak of) and just focusing on thermals, it's clear that battery life is an issue when a dGPU is involved. First of all, to dissipate that heat, you have to have a heatsink, right? Now, when we talk strong hardware, you need stronger, more exotic cooling solutions. Either more/larger heatsinks/pipes, or physically large vapor chamber. Just from a spatial sense, the larger your cooler solution in a thin laptop, the smaller your battery will be (unless you sacrifice elsewhere). Remember, this is just from a spatial sense. Now we have the fun part, Thermal Runaway.

You see, thermal runaway doesn't just exist on the high end, it exists across the thermal spectrum. The hotter something runs, the more power it uses, the more power it uses, the hotter it runs. Why does this matter? Well, I don't know if you've actually owned a thin laptop (gaming or not) but bare with me on this one. Heat is an issue, even with low end components. Take my brothers XPS 13 for example. Has a Core i7 6560U in it. 2c, 4t, shares that 15w package TDP I mentioned earlier, and has a TDP down-throttle in effect (means once it starts to go above 15w, beyond it's short power/long power boost, it throttles because of power, not heat). Even with this throttle in effect, it still hits 70C playing relatively simple titles (Xenoverse 2 being an example). Now, this is AFTER I replaced the thermal compound with Gelid Extreme, and effectively turned the bottom of it into an extended heatsink using copper shims. Under XTU load, it hits 80C+. On a thin, active cooled 15w package, this heat exists. Now try to tell me with a straight face, that you won't see the same thing on a real quad core package (45w) on something this thin. There is no getting around it. Even when gaming, this device won't deliver what you want from it. It has a 4k panel that it will NEVER drive, because it will throttle far below that of a real GTX 1080. It's battery, even when using the iGPU and only 1/2 of the turbo-boosted cores, will still be lackluster for the aforementioned reasons.

Ask anyone that has actually owned a gaming laptop, even with Nvidia's Optimus, and see if their browsing battery life is anything to write home about. I bet you they will say otherwise.

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Now I understand the irony. You spoke as if I didn't understand gaming laptops, but it's clear you've never owned one. Ignoring the completely awful Nvidia Optimus (the feature you speak of) and just focusing on thermals, it's clear that battery life is an issue when a dGPU is involved. First of all, to dissipate that heat, you have to have a heatsink, right? Now, when we talk strong hardware, you need stronger, more exotic cooling solutions. Either more/larger heatsinks/pipes, or physically large vapor chamber. Just from a spatial sense, the larger your cooler solution in a thin laptop, the smaller your battery will be (unless you sacrifice elsewhere). Remember, this is just from a spatial sense. Now we have the fun part, Thermal Runaway.

You see, thermal runaway doesn't just exist on the high end, it exists across the thermal spectrum. The hotter something runs, the more power it uses, the more power it uses, the hotter it runs. Why does this matter? Well, I don't know if you've actually owned a thin laptop (gaming or not) but bare with me on this one. Heat is an issue, even with low end components. Take my brothers XPS 13 for example. Has a Core i7 6560U in it. 2c, 4t, shares that 15w package TDP I mentioned earlier, and has a TDP down-throttle in effect (means once it starts to go above 15w, beyond it's short power/long power boost, it throttles because of power, not heat). Even with this throttle in effect, it still hits 70C playing relatively simple titles (Xenoverse 2 being an example). Now, this is AFTER I replaced the thermal compound with Gelid Extreme, and effectively turned the bottom of it into an extended heatsink using copper shims. Under XTU load, it hits 80C+. On a thin, active cooled 15w package, this heat exists. Now try to tell me with a straight face, that you won't see the same thing on a real quad core package (45w) on something this thin. There is no getting around it. Even when gaming, this device won't deliver what you want from it. It has a 4k panel that it will NEVER drive, because it will throttle far below that of a real GTX 1080. It's battery, even when using the iGPU and only 1/2 of the turbo-boosted cores, will still be lackluster for the aforementioned reasons.

Ask anyone that has actually owned a gaming laptop, even with Nvidia's Optimus, and see if their browsing battery life is anything to write home about. I bet you they will say otherwise.

I own an Asus ux501vw that is also super slim running an gtx960m and an i7 6700hq and it never has any thermal problems, it also has an 4k screen you really hate, it does run hot with gpu on 80C and cpu at 90C while gaming but I am fine with that because thats why i expect from such a thin laptop and it never throttles.

It also has Nvidias Optimus which works perfectly, if anything i need to manually turn on the gtx when i want to use premier and After effects. 7h battery life.

EDIT: So yeah I own a gaming laptop.

Edited by MilitantCro
forgot something

MAIN BUILD!

7 minutes ago, MilitantCro said:

I own an Asus ux501vw that is also super slim running an gtx960m and an i7 6700hq and it never has any thermal problems, it also has an 4k screen you really hate, it does run hot with gpu on 80C and cpu at 90C while gaming but I am fine with that because thats why i expect from such a thin laptop and it never throttles.

It also has Nvidias Optimus which works perfectly, if anything i need to manually turn on the gtx when i want to use premier and After effects. 7h battery life.

EDIT: So yeah I own a gaming laptop.

Now this only raises more questions than answers. Before, you asked me a hypothetical:

What if i dont want to play AAA games on medium details with "okey" framerate.

Your current laptop certainly won't hit that mark as a GTX 960m. This ASUS laptop certainly won't hit that mark with a throttled GTX 1080 either. The desktop 1080 isn't even considered a 4k card, as it cannot properly drive the majority of AAA titles at 60fps on 4k without heavily neutering the settings. That's on a heavily overclocked desktop card. Now imagine a card that throttles hard to do that? You are hitting 80C on your 960m (75w TDP) and you expect similar results from a GPU that is more than twice that TDP? Also, your card might not throttle below it's advertised clocks, but your boost clock certainly is throttling. That's just the simple nature of GPU Boost, and GPU Boost 3.0 will do that even more (12mhz steppings every 1C above temp target).

As for your battery life claims, ASUS's own website disagrees.  https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX501VW/Features/fg00.png

The temps you speak of make it too hot to the touch to sit on someones laps, defying the very name "laptop". If you have to run your laptop on a desk to avoid the uncomfortable temperatures, can it still be called a laptop? 

As for 4k screens, I don't hate them, I just find them utterly pointless on gaming laptops (and most laptops in general). If you don't do creative work (rendering/photo editing) then it does nothing for you. There is a certain PPI threshold where you simply stop noticing the difference (depending on viewing distance) and it only becomes detrimental for your performance. Sure, having hardware level AA is nice, but considering it's cost (both monetarily and in terms of graphical performance) simply isn't worth it. You would save battery life by opting for a smaller resolution (one that is still crisp for the screen size/viewing distance) and less powerful hardware that is still perfectly capable of driving that lower resolution.

Your current laptop is another example of a device that simply should not exist in its current form. Thin, hot, and incapable of living up to it's potential. 

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Now this only raises more questions than answers. Before, you asked me a hypothetical:

Your current laptop certainly won't hit that mark as a GTX 960m. This ASUS laptop certainly won't hit that mark with a throttled GTX 1080 either. The desktop 1080 isn't even considered a 4k card, as it cannot properly drive the majority of AAA titles at 60fps on 4k without heavily neutering the settings. That's on a heavily overclocked desktop card. Now imagine a card that throttles hard to do that? You are hitting 80C on your 960m (75w TDP) and you expect similar results from a GPU that is more than twice that TDP? Also, your card might not throttle below it's advertised clocks, but your boost clock certainly is throttling. That's just the simple nature of GPU Boost, and GPU Boost 3.0 will do that even more (12mhz steppings every 1C above temp target).

As for your battery life claims, ASUS's own website disagrees.  https://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASUS-ZenBook-Pro-UX501VW/Features/fg00.png

The temps you speak of make it too hot to the touch to sit on someones laps, defying the very name "laptop". If you have to run your laptop on a desk to avoid the uncomfortable temperatures, can it still be called a laptop? 

As for 4k screens, I don't hate them, I just find them utterly pointless on gaming laptops (and most laptops in general). If you don't do creative work (rendering/photo editing) then it does nothing for you. There is a certain PPI threshold where you simply stop noticing the difference (depending on viewing distance) and it only becomes detrimental for your performance. Sure, having hardware level AA is nice, but considering it's cost (both monetarily and in terms of graphical performance) simply isn't worth it. You would save battery life by opting for a smaller resolution (one that is still crisp for the screen size/viewing distance) and less powerful hardware that is still perfectly capable of driving that lower resolution.

Your current laptop is another example of a device that simply should not exist in its current form. Thin, hot, and incapable of living up to it's potential. 

I work 7-8hours a day and I dont charge my laptop during that time, thats why I said it can do 7h.

When it comes to gaming performance I know how my laptop performs thats why i said i would want to play on 4k with 60fps, and thats why I said I will get this new one.

You say this should not exist but you are wrong it has its perfect match. The asus ux501 is perfect for me and this new one is 2, I can walk in to a meeting and have a professional looking machine because most of our clients are older and sophisticated but dont really know what they are looking at, then get home and this pack a punch while gaming.

MAIN BUILD!

21 minutes ago, MilitantCro said:

I work 7-8hours a day and I dont charge my laptop during that time, thats why I said it can do 7h.

When it comes to gaming performance I know how my laptop performs thats why i said i would want to play on 4k with 60fps, and thats why I said I will get this new one.

You say this should not exist but you are wrong it has its perfect match. The asus ux501 is perfect for me and this new one is 2, I can walk in to a meeting and have a professional looking machine because most of our clients are older and sophisticated but dont really know what they are looking at, then get home and this pack a punch while gaming.

You can't possibly know it's perfect for you without knowing how well it performs under load. You can make the argument that "their engineers must have tested it" but if that were true, plenty of available products on the market wouldn't exist. This laptop will exist for a very niche reason, and it's mentioned in the title. They want the thinnest GTX 1080 laptop, and they do not care how it will perform as long as they get that title. Even if it throttles beyond recognition, it's still a GTX 1080, and it's still thin, so they achieve their goal.

Maybe I am wrong, and maybe they've developed a thermal solution never before seen (even in their premium ROG lineups) and can somehow make this GTX 1080 perform in it's class without throttling outside of it. Maybe Kaby Lake's more intelligent boost system solves the battery life crisis, and maybe Pascal's more intelligent GPU Boost 3.0 aids in that regard as well. That is an awful lot of "maybe's" but one thing is for certain: there are reasons for why we don't see high end hardware come up in thin laptops often. Sometimes, no amount of magic can change that. 

For some reason I like the placement of the keyboard. Interesting take on the design.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Asus is not the first with that type of layout.

MSI GT80

MSI-GT80-Gaming-Laptop.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

19 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Asus is not the first with that type of layout.

MSI GT80

At least the GT80's made sense. That baby had this under the hood:

MSI-GT80-Titan-Disassembly-3.jpg

I don't know why, but something tells me we won't be seeing the same on this ASUS laptop. 

On 2016-12-31 at 3:28 PM, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

But I am not just talking about the odd position of the keyboard itself (which is not justified, as it does not appear to be mechanical):

- The numpad is capacitive; that does more harm than good.

- There is no telling what is below the numpad and what it is useful for. Is it trying to copy Apple or IBM here?

- I can only assume that the two slots at the far sides of the keyboard are vent holes, a very inconvenient eyesore.

- You can tell with the odd shape of the spacebar that it is trying to imitate desktop-style ergonomics... why?

- There are rings in the WASD, Q, E, and R keys which I assume is for backlighting. Does Asus expect every gamer to be playing Overwatch?

- The special keys at the top are uncomfortably close to the rest of the keyboard.

Numpad doubles as a trackpad, at least there's one there.

I really don't think those are air vents. It'd make no sense to have them pointing up.

The spacebar doesn't at all look odd to me?

You don't play many games I take it? So, so many games use those same keys.

Love how you can say they're uncomfortable without having tried them. Armchair engineers.

On 2016-12-31 at 4:34 PM, Syfes said:

Meh, you can plug in a charger almost anywhere. I'd be perfectly happy with less weight and some 30 minutes of battery life. Would suit me just fine.

In many ways I agree...except at that point, you might as well remove the battery completely.

On 2016-12-31 at 4:56 PM, MageTank said:

I'd much rather see a thin and light netbook with Intel's GT4e inside, and reserve most of the space for battery, instead of trying to turn a gaming machine into a mobile device, and failing at both. You don't need 1080p and 4k screens on a 12/13 inch device, a 720p screen at that size still has 122PPI, while your average 21 inch 1080p display has only 105. 

I've thought this too, yet they haven't made one. Intels integrated graphics have been crazy good lately, to the point where I think a lot of casual gamers on a desktop are starting to not even need dedicated graphics cards (if they're playing LoL etc).

I think 720p is a little low, though. 900p looks a lot nicer, and is a nice in between. Most users do sit a lot closer to a laptop than a computer monitor, after all.

On 2016-12-31 at 5:16 PM, Technicolors said:

I feel like this laptop is a bit like hypercars: it's a test of the limits of (albeit ridiculous) engineering and its admittedly intriguing how all the tech comes together, but in reality little to no one can get close to owning one or trying one out, with no restrictions, in their lifetime. i know that for this laptop, comparing it to a hypercar is way out of league of an actual hypercar, but i can't help but see the similarities. 

Haha, interesting analogy however...it's just a laptop. Very far from something that's completely unaffordable. ;)

On 2016-12-31 at 5:37 PM, TheKDub said:

Ehh.. I'm not a fan of the keyboard placement, would have been better if they flipped it to right up by the screen.

Like to burn your hands do you? ;)

11 hours ago, MageTank said:

People that are in the market for gaming laptops simply do not understand hardware enough to know what they want. They think they NEED a GTX 1080 for gaming on the go, but fail to understand how pixel density works, and that they can easily have a lower resolution on a smaller screen, and drive it a GPU half as powerful, without compromising on framerates. Feel free to question my understanding all you want, but go look at the vast majority of gaming laptop reviews. Tell me battery life and heat isn't the main complaint of these machines, and then tell me it's okay to take the mobility out of a mobile device for the sake of performance. I'll tell you to get a desktop.

You don't really take the mobility out of the device. Sure, it might not be the longest lasting piece of hardware, but it's still portable. Most people I know with gaming laptops take them somewhere and plug them in for LAN parties, to use at work, things like that. Where battery life isn't really an issue.

While it's true that some buy thinking they'll have excellent battery life as well, I think most know what they're getting into.

If you are indeed in laptop repair, you have a slightly skewed view on users of said product.

10 hours ago, MageTank said:

I used to have a laptop with Optimus, and it worked quite well. I got excellent battery life with the integrated graphics.

9 hours ago, MageTank said:

While most of your comments make sense and are well backed, you're just arguing semantics at this point :P

Really? That's your argument? Even the site you quoted is notebook review.

You say it shouldn't exist, yet he clearly uses it and it suits him. That right there shows it should. Just because it doesn't suit you, doesn't mean it won't suit someone else.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On 1/1/2017 at 11:47 PM, Drak3 said:

That's just another point of failure on the system, and completely negates the whole point of the product: ultra portability.

I  mean use the dock when  you need it (similar to GPU  docks) ..

Also  Can we ask agree Asus is doing this just for the sake of MARKETING

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

In many ways I agree...except at that point, you might as well remove the battery completely.

Honestly, I'd be cool with that. Imo there's little advantage to trying to use a large laptop on the move at all. They're too big to use comfortably in most places and you never need their full potential while you're about. Brands have been throwing lightweight portable devices at our head for years now, so many people these days already own a tablet, phablet or similar device. My android tablet (with keyboard cover) does everything I need when travelling. In combination with my phone, I can send and receive e-mails, browse the web, read and edit documents, watch video, listen to music,... and those devices last me through an entire day easily. And if not, battery banks to power them are everywhere. It's only when I get to my office or to my hotel (when travelling) that I really do like some proper horsepower. Having something powerful, yet lightweight is ideal for me. Unfortunately I'm stuck with my 3.5 ton weighing Clevo...

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

On 12/31/2016 at 3:12 PM, gabrielcarvfer said:

Wouldn't it be better to do a thicker laptop that can manage to cool both processor and CPU to reasonable temps? =/ 

Processor and CPU are the same thing.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, dizmo said:

You don't really take the mobility out of the device. Sure, it might not be the longest lasting piece of hardware, but it's still portable. Most people I know with gaming laptops take them somewhere and plug them in for LAN parties, to use at work, things like that. Where battery life isn't really an issue.

While it's true that some buy thinking they'll have excellent battery life as well, I think most know what they're getting into.

If you are indeed in laptop repair, you have a slightly skewed view on users of said product.

I used to have a laptop with Optimus, and it worked quite well. I got excellent battery life with the integrated graphics.

While most of your comments make sense and are well backed, you're just arguing semantics at this point :P

Really? That's your argument? Even the site you quoted is notebook review.

You say it shouldn't exist, yet he clearly uses it and it suits him. That right there shows it should. Just because it doesn't suit you, doesn't mean it won't suit someone else.

My point in regards to mobility, is that you are not mobile while tethered to a wall, not in the sense that the device itself isn't portable. Also, when did I ever quote notebook review? I linked the ASUS official website, and no others. As for whether or not a laptop being too hot for a lap is my argument, yes, that's exactly my argument because it's a valid point to make. I don't know if you've gamed for long sessions on a laptop before, but I have, and having your laptop be extremely hot, isn't comfortable. Not everyone has a desk to sit at with these things, and often games with them on their laps (which is why intakes should NEVER be on the bottom of laptops, but that's a rant for another day). 

To clarify, my point was, that this laptop (and his for that matter) should not exist in their current configurations. There are better ways to build these without using marketing gimmicks of "4K GAMING LAPTOP!" when it cannot game at 4k. Look up every review of his current laptop, and you will see that for yourself. Even at 1080p, the 960m only averaged 38fps in Fallout 4. Even by his own admitted standards, this isn't enough (which is why he wants this new laptop, which again, won't be enough for 4k). 

Had they made the panel on this new laptop 1080p, and swapped out to a GTX 1060, this wouldn't be an issue at all. It'd be an amazing 141PPI (nearly as sharp as a 30 inch 4k panel), it'd have G-Sync, meaning even in future demanding titles, it's 30-40FPS would feel as smooth as 60, and it'd be far easier to keep cool (75w vs 165w). The other big boon, is battery life. Not only would having a 1080p display and GTX 1060 save on battery life in general (while also performing better), it'd require less surface area for it's heatsink/pipes, meaning more potential space for a larger battery or other components. It just makes more sense overall to go that route, instead of trying to slap the 4k gaming tag on yet another product that can't really do it. 

I get it though, I completely understand people willingly buy into this marketing scheme, and are perfectly okay with it. I also understand they would rather have the 4k panel and not need it, than need it and not have it. My brother can't use the 3200x1800 display on his XPS13 in any game, but he loves it for browsing/media consumption, so I understand it still has it's purpose outside of gaming.

In the end, I believe you are right. My line of work has made me jaded towards this industry, and if I can't get everything out of my device, I complain about it. If I can't use my "4k gaming laptop" to game at 4k, then I wouldn't be satisfied. 

5 minutes ago, Syfes said:

Honestly, I'd be cool with that. Imo there's little advantage to trying to use a large laptop on the move at all. They're too big to use comfortably in most places and you never need their full potential while you're about. Brands have been throwing lightweight portable devices at our head for years now, so many people these days already own a tablet, phablet or similar device. My android tablet (with keyboard cover) does everything I need when travelling. In combination with my phone, I can send and receive e-mails, browse the web, read and edit documents, watch video, listen to music,... and those devices last me through an entire day easily. And if not, battery banks to power them are everywhere. It's only when I get to my office or to my hotel (when travelling) that I really do like some proper horsepower. Having something powerful, yet lightweight is ideal for me. Unfortunately I'm stuck with my 3.5 ton weighing Clevo...

Buy a NUC, and wire a tablet screen to it? lol.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Ah yes, the NUC...a ULV dual core and an iGPU...sounds like top tier performance to meh :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

Haven't seen NUC's with 1080's in them yet :D Also then I'd be stuck with a small screen, I need that 15.6" FHD at the very least. And I'd need to lug around a semi-decent keyboard as well.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah yes, the NUC...a ULV dual core and an iGPU...sounds like top tier performance to meh :D 

The Skullcanyon NUC is pretty good. 6770HQ, Iris Pro 580, up to 32GB of RAM, and can support NVME M.2 SSD's. You would want to mod it though, as it's stock configuration throttles due to heat. Nothing a few copper shims and exotic paste won't fix.

3 minutes ago, Syfes said:

I need that 15.6" FHD

Ez pizi, it's considerably cheaper than a HDMI equipped 1080p 15.6inch monitor anyway :P (in the UK, you can build something like that with a new (replacement) lappy panel, the control board and some MDF for around 80 quid while a HDMI equipped 15.6 inch FHD monitor would cost around 300 quid)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ez pizi, it's considerably cheaper than a HDMI equipped 1080p 15.6inch monitor anyway :P (in the UK, you can build something like that with a new (replacement) lappy panel, the control board and some MDF for around 80 quid while a HDMI equipped 15.6 inch FHD monitor would cost around 300 quid)

I have a ton of spare laptop panels (literally an entire box of them). My brother bought one of those $10 C.H.I.P's, and was going to buy a controller board to wire a netbook panel to it for old console emulation.

From what I can gather from what's been posited is that everyone thinks that this will be the best laptop ever released in terms of performance and overall design. Furthermore, thermals will not be a problem as the 1080 will perform the same if not better than any desktop founders edition GTX 1080.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

From what I can gather from what's been posited is that everyone thinks that this will be the best laptop ever released in terms of performance and overall design.

*With the exception of a few. 

I see this laptop has an abomination in terms of design, but I suppose we will see when it is released.