Asus to reveal thinnest GTX1080 laptop?

NumLock21
22 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: A GTX 1080 that throttles to the point of it being a GTX 1060, because thin is better, right? Right?

This is getting out of control. Nobody realistically expects 165w of heat to be properly dissipated in that thing, on heatpipes and thin fans alone, right? They are going to need a custom vapor chamber or something, and even then, it's still going to throttle. My CPU at 4.2ghz, undervolted to 1.13v still pushes 130w under AVX2 load, and my 92 x 92 x 42mm vapor chamber still struggles to keep this thing under thermal junction in a Node 202, while actually being rated for 135w. Mark my words, this 1080 is going to throttle beyond recognition. 

This isn't even factoring in the space that will also have to be saved for the CPU cooler and battery, so the movement of that keyboard isn't entirely for the cooling solution (unless the battery is under that keyboard, which will mean even less potential battery life).

I'd much rather see a thin and light netbook with Intel's GT4e inside, and reserve most of the space for battery, instead of trying to turn a gaming machine into a mobile device, and failing at both. You don't need 1080p and 4k screens on a 12/13 inch device, a 720p screen at that size still has 122PPI, while your average 21 inch 1080p display has only 105. 

I'll be completely honest, I'd dig something like that at 13" with a 1366x768 screen, or 1080p if you wanted. Personally, screen resolution has never been bothering to me, unless it's like total shite.

Not to mention there doesn't appear to be a trackpad, or in fact anything you can use to move around on it, so it's just impractical if you actually wanted to use it for more casual use, IMO.

In any case, I don't understand this dick measuring contest to throw expensive ass GPUs in them only for them to fucking throttle like ass.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

- The numpad is capacitive; that does more harm than good

There is no telling what is below the numpad and what it is useful for. Is it trying to copy Apple or IBM here?

Doubles as the mousepad, with two physical buttons at the bottom. Razer did something similar with a Touchscreen, and I believe MSi has done it before as well.

- There are rings in the WASD, Q, E, and R keys which I assume is for backlighting. Does Asus expect every gamer to be playing Overwatch?

Common keys for many games, not just Overhype.

But I am not just talking about the odd position of the keyboard itself (which is not justified, as it does not appear to be mechanical):

Every keyboard takes up space, some more than others. In the form factor that ASUS is going for, the thin keyboard might make or break the target thickness.

I won't argue if the end goal is stupid, because it is. I'm just saying that there is a valid reason to have a (conventional) laptop keyboard laid out as such. If what I said is the likely reason is correct, it means ASUS did something correct. If not, it's not like I expect great things from them, outside of monitors and high end Z/X chipset mainboards.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not to mention there doesn't appear to be a trackpad

The capacitive number pad doubles as the track pad, I can almost guarantee it. If I'm wrong, I'll give you your money back.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

asus-rog-gx501-laptop.jpeg?resize=630,44

Ehh.. I'm not a fan of the keyboard placement, would have been better if they flipped it to right up by the screen.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm still waiting for the right hardware to come out to upgrade from my Cleve p370em.

ill be making a suitcase pc.

still not exactly sure how to get the screen working with the pc even though I can buy a Chinese 1080p 17.2 inch 120hz panel.

Something tells me they put the keyboard down there because otherwise, it would burn your hands. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

14 hours ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

What the hell is up with the keyboard layout? A lot of things about it is not making any sense at all to me.

It looks similar to MSIs  layout 

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, which is why many gaming laptops either pack the high end and have some heft, or go for thin & light by going a bit conservative with the component selection.

ASUS wants the best of both worlds, and will get neither.

Great idea ..The GPU/CPU  is unlocked while on power and can rev up when plugged in (extra power= more headroom for higher frequency) also they kind of have the best of ONE world right now..although I am a bit skeptical  about the cooling

12 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I don't understand why they design such high end gaming notebooks with weird twists like this. It leads to a price point that makes it so that sales will be very low which means little profit. I honestly feel like some of the engineers get bored so they work on stupid designs that company somehow thinks is a good idea.

These are Halo products I.e  proof  of concept

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Something tells me they put the keyboard down there because otherwise, it would burn your hands. 

Yup  my(brief) experience with MSI  titan SLI

2 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

12 hours ago, MageTank said:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: A GTX 1080 that throttles to the point of it being a GTX 1060, because thin is better, right? Right?

This is getting out of control. Nobody realistically expects 165w of heat to be properly dissipated in that thing, on heatpipes and thin fans alone, right? They are going to need a custom vapor chamber or something, and even then, it's still going to throttle. My CPU at 4.2ghz, undervolted to 1.13v still pushes 130w under AVX2 load, and my 92 x 92 x 42mm vapor chamber still struggles to keep this thing under thermal junction in a Node 202, while actually being rated for 135w. Mark my words, this 1080 is going to throttle beyond recognition. 

This isn't even factoring in the space that will also have to be saved for the CPU cooler and battery, so the movement of that keyboard isn't entirely for the cooling solution (unless the battery is under that keyboard, which will mean even less potential battery life).

I'd much rather see a thin and light netbook with Intel's GT4e inside, and reserve most of the space for battery, instead of trying to turn a gaming machine into a mobile device, and failing at both. You don't need 1080p and 4k screens on a 12/13 inch device, a 720p screen at that size still has 122PPI, while your average 21 inch 1080p display has only 105. 

You really dont understand the laptop market, people who are in the market for gaming laptops and design and development of laptops.

MAIN BUILD!

yet another idiotic laptop, that is here because some fucktards put form over function, so fuck cooling, fuck performance and fuck the lifespand.

This is basically how it goes when you stress that craptop

asdfgfdjh.gif

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I actually really rather like it.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Maybe the keyboard is down at the bottom so your wrists won't feel the heat?

I have an MSI GS73VR Stealth with a 1060, and my 6700HQ gets much hotter that my GPU ever does. I don't have experience with the 1080, and can not sure how much hotter it does get.

This is an very ugly laptop. I know the GTX 10XX series GPU's are going into laptops without being limited by mobile versions because they have better heat control, but they still have to manage airflow for both CPU Anand GPU. I guess we will have to wait and see how this goes.

2 hours ago, Scitesh said:

Great idea ..The GPU/CPU  is unlocked while on power and can rev up when plugged in (extra power= more headroom for higher frequency) also they kind of have the best of ONE world right now..although I am a bit skeptical  about the cooling

The cooling in the system will throttle the 1080, and likely, the CPU as well. No amount of power delivery can fix that. Seeing as how power hungry the 1080 is, it will result in a machine with unacceptable battery life by any standard.

ASUS' thin and light 1080 laptop is fool's gold and a money grab.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The cooling in the system will throttle the 1080, and likely, the CPU as well. No amount of power delivery can fix that. Seeing as how power hungry the 1080 is, it will result in a machine with unacceptable battery life by any standard.

ASUS' thin and light 1080 laptop is fool's gold and a money grab.

Another idea(straight outta nowhere)  make it compatible with the water cooling dock like the Gx700

5 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

Another idea(straight outta nowhere)  make it compatible with the water cooling dock like the Gx700

That's just another point of failure on the system, and completely negates the whole point of the product: ultra portability.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Toasty. At least your palms will be okay, because there is nowhere to put them.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That's just another point of failure on the system, and completely negates the whole point of the product: ultra portability.

I  mean use the dock when  you need it (similar to GPU  docks) 

3 minutes ago, Scitesh said:

I  mean use the dock when  you need it (similar to GPU  docks) 

Again, just another point of failure, and in order to use it, you negate the whole point of the product.

Unless you want to return to the hellish times where people needed 10 things to accomplish one task, like Apple does.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

At first look my reaction is it looks really bad, especially with that keyboard. Staring at it for a while makes it seem ok with a very neutral color tone, which I can appreciate. Any one hear a rumor of price? Asus's line of laptops already had some decent thin laptops too.  It does look like the keyboard is missing color, hate me I actually like backlit keyboards. I wonder how they will handle thermals.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:28 PM, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

But I am not just talking about the odd position of the keyboard itself (which is not justified, as it does not appear to be mechanical):

- The numpad is capacitive; that does more harm than good.

- There is no telling what is below the numpad and what it is useful for. Is it trying to copy Apple or IBM here?

- I can only assume that the two slots at the far sides of the keyboard are vent holes, a very inconvenient eyesore.

- You can tell with the odd shape of the spacebar that it is trying to imitate desktop-style ergonomics... why?

- There are rings in the WASD, Q, E, and R keys which I assume is for backlighting. Does Asus expect every gamer to be playing Overwatch?

- The special keys at the top are uncomfortably close to the rest of the keyboard.

The numpad style seems very similar to the MSI GT80 Titan.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

On 1/1/2017 at 7:30 AM, MilitantCro said:

You really dont understand the laptop market, people who are in the market for gaming laptops and design and development of laptops.

I have a better understanding than you'd like to believe. I repair laptops for a living, and have done so since my early teen years. I also understand thermals more than most, being an ITX enthusiast. As for "understanding the laptop market", it seems more people in this thread agree with me, than most disagree. Countless of others hate the design, and I am certain anyone that has ever used a laptop this thin, knows you physically cannot cool mid grade components, let alone high-end on something this small. It's going to have to be a vapor chamber, mark my words, and even then, it still won't be enough. I've seen the internals of countless "high end gaming laptops" and believe me, they use robust cooling solutions on hardware with less thermal dissipation required, and do so at nearly 3-4 times the thickness.

People that are in the market for gaming laptops simply do not understand hardware enough to know what they want. They think they NEED a GTX 1080 for gaming on the go, but fail to understand how pixel density works, and that they can easily have a lower resolution on a smaller screen, and drive it a GPU half as powerful, without compromising on framerates. 

I've been testing Skylake's Iris 540 Pro, which isn't even their best iGPU SKU, and believe me, it's pretty capable of driving 720p even in AAA titles at medium-high. That's at a 15w package(CPU+GPU) TDP. Imagine what a dedicated 35w GPU (Pascal GT x40/50, or AMD Polaris variant) can do. Imagine what Intel's flagship GT4e's can do. Lower power consumption while still providing a worthy gaming experience, without the worthless heat. Congratulations, you have a 4k display on a 15.6 inch screen, your PPI is 282, more than three times that of a 24 inch 1080p desktop panel (91.8PPI). 

Feel free to question my understanding all you want, but go look at the vast majority of gaming laptop reviews. Tell me battery life and heat isn't the main complaint of these machines, and then tell me it's okay to take the mobility out of a mobile device for the sake of performance. I'll tell you to get a desktop.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

gtx1080 that throttles to gtx1060 speed because thin yay

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016