2x 6 Core Xeons vs i7 6850k

2 minutes ago, VirusStorm said:

2x E5-2620 v3's

Alright. Judging by scores on Passmark, the dual Xeons would be substantially better for heavily multithreaded workloads; however you could potentially overclock the i7 to the point where the difference would be negligible, and that it'd do way better for you for more single threaded things.

Another thing to consider is that dual socket motherboards are often pretty expensive...

Go with the 6850k.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

Alright. Judging by scores on Passmark, the dual Xeons would be substantially better for heavily multithreaded workloads; however you could potentially overclock the i7 to the point where the difference would be negligible, and that it'd do way better for you for more single threaded things.

Another thing to consider is that dual socket motherboards are often pretty expensive...

Go with the 6850k.

Im ok with the price of the dual socket mobo

Would the dual xeons perform well in gaming situations? 

Just now, VirusStorm said:

Im ok with the price of the dual socket mobo

Would the dual xeons perform well in gaming situations? 

Not as well as the 6850k, as most games aren't optimized as well for more, slower cores as they are for fewer, faster ones.

Sig under construction.

Just now, Tedster said:

Not as well as the 6850k, as most games aren't optimized as well for more, slower cores as they are for fewer, faster ones.

would there be much of a difference? If so would it be noticable? 

Just now, VirusStorm said:

would there be much of a difference? If so would it be noticable? 

I'm sure you could notice a definite difference if you actually had the two hypothetical systems there to play with.

Sig under construction.

1 minute ago, Tedster said:

I'm sure you could notice a definite difference if you actually had the two hypothetical systems there to play with.

so its a no go on the xeons for gaming then

I do a lot of gaming and 3d work, so i'm not sure if the extra cores are necessary for rendering. If I get the 6800k, I can get an extra gtx 1070 and get a 1440p monitor. If I get the 6900k I can only choose between one of them.  

Id go with 6700k and 1080

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Id go with 6700k and 1080

But I already have a 1070, and 4 cores wont be enough for rendering

Is probably take the 6800k and the 1070 gonna be nice for gaming and rendering 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Yeah then stick with 6800. You'd be much happier knowing you have to wait a tiny bit of time in rendering while having a gorgeous monitor

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22058index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22059index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22060index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22061

Above are some results to compare

It feels slightly weird have such overpowered CPU and match it with a 1070, I mean at very least doesn't feel like this was well planned, I would go with the 6800k and not bother to SLI the 1070 at all, save all this money for the next gpu line up maybe it ends up better deal to sell the 1070 and buy the 1080ti for instance.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

It feels slightly weird have such overpowered CPU and match it with a 1070, I mean at very least doesn't feel like this was well planned, I would go with the 6800k and not bother to SLI the 1070 at all, save all this money for the next gpu line up maybe it ends up better deal to sell the 1070 and buy the 1080ti for instance.

I was originally going to get a 4790k, hence the reason I got the 1070, but then I decided to look at the rendering benchmarks and well.....

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

I was originally going to get a 4790k, hence the reason I got the 1070, but then I decided to look at the rendering benchmarks and well.....

I mean with a 4790k the 1070 would pair great especially for high end gaming however if you'll make a lot of hard work on 3d content, adobe premiere and whatever more editing and rendering you want, and is willing to go for an i7 6900k probably a high end motherboard to OC it and fancy cooling system, it would make much more sense go with a Titan X Maxwell/Pascal or Quadro series, those perform better on these applications and also deliverer the gaming experience you could desire.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

I mean with a 4790k the 1070 would pair great especially for high end gaming however if you'll make a lot of hard work on 3d content, adobe premiere and whatever more editing and rendering you want, and is willing to go for an i7 6900k probably a high end motherboard to OC it and fancy cooling system, it would make much more sense go with a Titan X Maxwell/Pascal or Quadro series, those perform better on these applications and also deliverer the gaming experience you could desire.

budget....

1 minute ago, VirusStorm said:

budget....

All more reason why a 6900k or a second 1070 would be no more than wasting money better spent in the future ;]~

Personal Desktop":

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

All more reason why a 6900k or a second 1070 would be no more than wasting money better spent in the future ;]~

I would love to, if it was in my budget

3D Modelling, 3D Sculpting, 3D Painting, 3D Rendering, 2D Painting, 3D Animation, Gaming

About 40% Gaming and 60% Workstation

Note: Both Gaming and Workstation use are EXTREMELY Important To Me, But I Take Workstation > Gaming

7700k is to new to accurately know its perforance and were its stands compared to the other cpus, but its looking pretty good so far 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What programs and what are you rendering with?

The 7700k is looking pretty good.

Modo, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Krita

Rendering with Modo

1 minute ago, IHirs said:

7700k is to new to accurately know its perforance and were its stands compared to the other cpus, but its looking pretty good so far 

Yeah, but some reviews are out already