Trip to Japan (Help)

FinestRyeBread

Hi everyone. Just need to gather some info for this trip. The trip will be in the summer of 2017. Most likely around June or so and the trip will be about 2 weeks.

I want everyone's input on this. (Don't say "google it"). I want to know where are good places to visit, sightsee, good food and places where I can buy gaming/anime stuff.

What type of housing should I go for 2 heterosexual males? I'm fairly certain hotels are going to cost an arm and a half.

For the Chinese who knows Japanese: How hard is to learn Japanese when you already know Chinese? What are some good ways of learning it? Mind you, I have uni and work to attend to but I am willing to learn online.

What's the fashion for Japan?

More questions may pop up.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

real japan is nothing like chinese-cartoon japan

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

2 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

real japan is nothing like chinese-cartoon japan

I know, this is why I'm asking lol

The Brokish Boy v1: CPU: i7-8700k GPU: MSI Gaming X GTX ti MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Code Ram: G.Skill Trident Z 4x8gb 3200mhz DRIVES: 2x3TB WD Black , 500gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 500gb 970 EVO SSD Case: be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Black Headphone: ATH-MSR7 Mic: Blue Yeti Monitors: 27" BenQ GW2765 1440p; IPS, 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440p; VA

1 minute ago, FinestRyeBread said:

I know, this is why I'm asking lol

use google translate and just hope "hello" isnt "eat shit and die, cunt"

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

3 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

use google translate and just hope "hello" isnt "eat shit and die, cunt"

I know some basic greetings

I know some basic greetings

i think putting 3 fingers up is equivalent to giving the finger

bregsit

Spoiler

1 minute ago, imPixelTV said:

i think putting 3 fingers up is equivalent to giving the finger

Noted. Not trying to offend anyone anyways

Just now, FinestRyeBread said:

Noted. Not trying to offend anyone anyways

lol i intentionally offend people. a feminist called me a racist homophobe even tho i like black dudes. go figure 

bregsit

Spoiler

for two weeks where or which city are you going?

Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya?

which airport you will be arriving?

For tokyo, it will either be Narita airport or Hanada

For Osaka, it will be Osaka International Airport/ Itami Airport

what is your budget like for lodging and food?

if you are traveling frequently in one city suggest getting the JR Rail pass for Kansai region for Osaka/Kyoto region and JR East if you are going from Tokyo and and Eastwards like Saitama, Gunma and Fukushima.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

about temps

the temperature in June is around 17-23 degrees give and take a few degrees differences when raining.

Be sure to pack a good umbrella or raincoat.

you prob wont need any thick clothing unless you don't like the cool weather

also when traveling on buses and train.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT TALK on your mobile phone.

Not only this is considered rude, mobile phone signals are known to affect pacemakers and other medical equipment that some elderly folks uses.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

this may be a known custom but i will repeat it anyway

slurping is considered good in Japan as it means you like the food especially noodles and drinking soup

making the mhhhhh sound when eating means you enjoy the food and saying oishii means the food is delicious.

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

for two weeks where or which city are you going?

Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya?

which airport you will be arriving?

For tokyo, it will either be Narita airport or Hanada

For Osaka, it will be Osaka International Airport/ Itami Airport

what is your budget like for lodging and food?

if you are traveling frequently in one city suggest getting the JR Rail pass for Kansai region for Osaka/Kyoto region and JR East if you are going from Tokyo and and Eastwards like Saitama, Gunma and Fukushima.

I plan on travelling around quite a bit. I guess you could say more sightseeing. Will try to pick a starting city with my friend. For budget, that is TBD depending on the cost of the plane ticket from the US to Japan (prob around $1000). I may have another $1500 for lodging and stuff maybe more.

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

about temps

the temperature in June is around 17-23 degrees give and take a few degrees differences when raining.

Be sure to pack a good umbrella or raincoat.

you prob wont need any thick clothing unless you don't like the cool weather

also when traveling on buses and train.

DO NOT i repeat DO NOT TALK on your mobile phone.

Not only this is considered rude, mobile phone signals are known to affect pacemakers and other medical equipment that some elderly folks uses.

Not even texting?

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

this may be a known custom but i will repeat it anyway

slurping is considered good in Japan as it means you like the food especially noodles and drinking soup

making the mhhhhh sound when eating means you enjoy the food and saying oishii means the food is delicious.

Thanks for this knowledge.

fashion sense is just your normal casual outfits unless you want to stand out

then you should take a look a Harajuku area where you get an idea of what are the teenagers or young adults are wearing

Ueno park near the Harajuku station is where a lot of the young and old crowds will see in their fashion from punk rock and the wacky unexplained fashion

I plan on travelling around quite a bit. I guess you could say more sightseeing. Will try to pick a starting city with my friend. For budget, that is TBD depending on the cost of the plane ticket from the US to Japan (prob around $1000). I may have another $1500 for lodging and stuff maybe more.

Not even texting?

Thanks for this knowledge.

depending on the city you pick

be sure to check out the prices of the lodging

the price of the lodging varies from hotel to hotel and if breakfast is provided.

my stay in Shinjuku was 7 days and i got a free dinner for staying at the hotel and buffet breakfast was provided

food and travel are the budget killers

you typical meal may cost average from 800 up 2000 yen

train rides can cost quite a lot even for short distance.

best set aside enough budget for food and travel.

Texting is allowed just NO talking on the phone.

Arigatou - thank you

Speaking of honorifics, learn them. The more common ones... 

San -  a person of similar status

Sama - a boss, or government official

Chan - child or young woman (referring to a government official as Chan may not be a good idea btw) 

Sensei - teacher

Dono - emperor, or king (if you've the luck to happen across someone of very high status). 

Honorifics are to be used after name. For friends, the first name can be used, but for formal meetings or persons of higher status, refer to them with their last name. Examples below. 

Daisuke-san

Rika-Chan 

Miyamoto-sama

One peculiarity in the Japanese language I've noticed is the use of a consonant, then vowel at the end of most syllables, with the exception being "n". 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Arigatou - thank you

Speaking of honorifics, learn them. The more common ones... 

San -  a person of similar status

Sama - a boss, or government official

Chan - child or young woman (referring to a government official as Chan may not be a good idea btw) 

Sensei - teacher

Dono - emperor, or king (if you've the luck to happen across someone of very high status). 

Honorifics are to be used after name. For friends, the first name can be used, but for formal meetings or persons of higher status, refer to them with their last name. Examples below. 

Daisuke-san

Rika-Chan 

Miyamoto-sama

fully formal way of saying thank you is Domo Arigatou

Domo is an non-formal and should only used causally with friends

Arigatou can still be used formally.

San or Sama will be most common address for person unless you are close to the person you are meeting.

6 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

depending on the city you pick

be sure to check out the prices of the lodging

the price of the lodging varies from hotel to hotel and if breakfast is provided.

my stay in Shinjuku was 7 days and i got a free dinner for staying at the hotel and buffet breakfast was provided

food and travel are the budget killers

you typical meal may cost average from 800 up 2000 yen

train rides can cost quite a lot even for short distance.

best set aside enough budget for food and travel.

Texting is allowed just NO talking on the phone.

What are the typical housing types? Thinking of Tokyo and other cities. Don't know which. Any suggestsions? 800-2000yen is about $8-$20. I can deal with that. My priorities are housing, food and plane tickets/transport.

Fashion input here, go to A Bathing Ape when youre there!

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

oh you may need to get those MiFi routers which uses their mobile network as you might be using a lot of google translate and maps

not all of them speak english and their english can be quite hard to understand because they rarely use engish since high school

What are the typical housing types? Thinking of Tokyo and other cities. Don't know which. Any suggestsions? 800-2000yen is about $8-$20. I can deal with that. My priorities are housing, food and plane tickets/transport.

ok this was the hotel i have stayed in

http://www.princehotels.com/shinjuku/

near to Shinjuku train station

ANA and Japan Airlines will be your best bet for airline tickets

both operate from Narita and Haneda airport

Haneda will be the closer airport to Tokyo

Narita airport will need close to 2 hour train via the Narita Express which you can buy the tickets straight from Narita airport at a discount if you have a foreign passport.

1 hour ago, FinestRyeBread said:

Hi everyone. Just need to gather some info for this trip. The trip will be in the summer of 2017. Most likely around June or so and the trip will be about 2 weeks.

I want everyone's input on this. (Don't say "google it").

I want to know where are good places to visit,

Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Nagoya are all nice places :).

good food

Honestly, in japan it's hard to go to a bad restaurant/eat bad food.

Just don't go to the typical McDonald's or Burger King and you should have a good food experience.

places where I can buy gaming/anime stuff.

For this you'll just have to hunt around on streets in local districts and cities and find game stores.

What type of housing should I go for 2 heterosexual males? I'm fairly certain hotels are going to cost an arm and a half.

Hotels are quite expensive, especially if you're going to major cities.

For the Chinese who knows Japanese: How hard is to learn Japanese when you already know Chinese? What are some good ways of learning it? Mind you, I have uni and work to attend to but I am willing to learn online.

I don't know Chinese, but honestly Japanese isn't too hard to learn. And there are people who understand and speak English (more so in the larger cities).

What's the fashion for Japan?

The fashion is quite different. In my experience (from 4-5 years ago mind you) people in different prefectures dress differently.

Thanks in advanced everyone.

You're welcome.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Akiharabara is otaku heaven for all things Anime/Manga stuffs

and also the maid cafes but those are super expensive

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

Akiharabara is otaku heaven for all things Anime/Manga stuffs

and also the maid cafes but those are super expensive

I heard Akihabara was like more gaming than anime. Okinawa or Osaka was the place to go. Also that hotel is nice looking but on the higher end of the price spectrum.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka and Nagoya are all nice places :).

Honestly, in japan it's hard to go to a bad restaurant/eat bad food.

Just don't go to the typical McDonald's or Burger King and you should have a good food experience.

For this you'll just have to hunt around on streets in local districts and cities and find game stores.

Hotels are quite expensive, especially if you're going to major cities.

I don't know Chinese, but honestly Japanese isn't too hard to learn. And there are people who understand and speak English (more so in the larger cities).

The fashion is quite different. In my experience (from 4-5 years ago mind you) people in different prefectures dress differently.

You're welcome.

hotel staff do speak english but still a bit broken but understandable

but most of the time, japanese grasp of english is very poor.

8 minutes ago, FinestRyeBread said:

I heard Akihabara was like more gaming than anime. Okinawa or Osaka was the place to go. Also that hotel is nice looking but on the higher end of the price spectrum.

this is kinda expected when you are staying in hotel in tokyo areas. This hotel is kinda decent and the prices are still reasonable considering they provide daily breakfast.

you can try Trivago or other hotel finder site and see what sort of hotels fits your budget

http://www.trivago.sg/tokyo-91304/hotel